Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI
My golden's name is Bear and will be 3yr on New Years Day.

OFF and ON for a couple of weeks Bear has had a sometimes limp right front paw. OF course we have looked at it to see if there was a problem with his pad, or any area around there.

Well today we found out that one of his nails the outside is partially gone and the inside is exposed and if we touch it - it hurts.

What can we do?

Colleen

·
16,000 Posts
HI
My golden's name is Bear and will be 3yr on New Years Day.

OFF and ON for a couple of weeks Bear has had a sometimes limp right front paw. OF course we have looked at it to see if there was a problem with his pad, or any area around there.

Well today we found out that one of his nails the outside is partially gone and the inside is exposed and if we touch it - it hurts.

What can we do?

Colleen
This is very painful, but will heal on it's own quite nicely. What I have done in the past with torn/broken nails is to clean it well with a mild antibiotic soap, rinse well, and then pour a little Listerine (amber colored antiseptic mouthwash) over it. Let that dry, and then brush on Nu-Skin Liquid Bandage, which will help protect it from dirt and debris getting in there as well as lessening the pain. I do this daily until healed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update on Bear. We decided to take Bear to the Vet on Saturday Morning. Vet looked at his nail and said it wasn't that bad. We told him about the sometimes limp and he checked him out rather thoroguhly. And couldn't find anything. He suggested that we have bears nails trimmed (which I had done about 2 weeks ago at his bath) and then he continued to give him a regular exam and Bear had one ear infection with another one starting. So the nail issue has been resolved. We will watch for the limp, and Bear has medicines for the ear infections.

Colleen

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Glad you took him to the vet just to be on the safe side. And it is good that you did because you found the ear infections. They can become really bad so fast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts