Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
3 days ago I got a new puppy, she was 4 weeks when we got her. I just realized it's actually odd that we have her at such a young age. However, she was already eating and whatnot when we brought her home. Currently she's a nipper/Biter and we are also working on housetraining her asap. I know she is SUPER young but I want to avoid having a 60lb out of control dog later. The only issue is she is so little and CUTE. It's so hard for me to put my foot down with her. I will gladly take any tips and tricks you may have. I bought her a play pen instead of a crate because I was unsure of how fast she would grow. Can I "crate train" her in a playpen? lol As you can see I need as much advice as possible. :p:

·
Mr. Wilson's mom too!!
130 Posts
i am not an expert there a a lot on this board than can help u more than me, but if it was me I would think she is too little to crate train... i would just give her a spot to potty in a penned in area... (i also think she is too young to be away from her mom, can she go back to the mom for a couple more weeks?)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Normally her siblings would help teach her bite inhibition. Goldens can mouthy under normal circumstances but without spending more time with her littermates you might have it worse than normal. Hopefully some folks here who have more experience with younger pups will have some good suggestions for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am not an expert there a a lot on this board than can help u more than me, but if it was me I would think she is too little to crate train... i would just give her a spot to potty in a penned in area... (i also think she is too young to be away from her mom, can she go back to the mom for a couple more weeks?)
She can't go back to her mom, in fact when we got her I think she was already away from her mom. We got her from a couple and they said they had too much going on for her. So I have no idea how she's already being passed around at 4 weeks. Once I started reading that's when I realized she should have still be with her mom and the rest of her litter. So far she does use the peepee pads as long as she isn't too excited and I was shocked she caught on to that so quickly. I just have to figure out what to do about her biting because she's biting ME lol and although she only has about 8 teeth, if she gets me from the right angle it does hurt. I don't want her to be a large biting dog.

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
So sad she is to young to leave the litter. I would find a breeder in your area that can help. Maybe go to another litter for a few weeks. 4 weeks is way to young, poor baby.

·
Mr. Wilson's mom too!!
130 Posts
She can't go back to her mom, in fact when we got her I think she was already away from her mom. We got her from a couple and they said they had too much going on for her. So I have no idea how she's already being passed around at 4 weeks. Once I started reading that's when I realized she should have still be with her mom and the rest of her litter. So far she does use the peepee pads as long as she isn't too excited and I was shocked she caught on to that so quickly. I just have to figure out what to do about her biting because she's biting ME lol and although she only has about 8 teeth, if she gets me from the right angle it does hurt. I don't want her to be a large biting dog.
well i think u need to remember she is a baby, and she needs to learn manners from her mom and litter mates, i think PP (previous post) has a great idea, maybe u can find a nursing dog that can adopt her in for a few weeks, i would even call some rescue places maybe they can help u... these early weeks I believe (again i am an expert) are very important to stay with their mom... good luck i am glad u are looking to help ur puppy and dog what is best for her

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So sad she is to young to leave the litter. I would find a breeder in your area that can help. Maybe go to another litter for a few weeks. 4 weeks is way to young, poor baby.
I know, I feel so bad. I had no idea. I just try to at least give her the attention she needs right now because I know she is literally a baby. She's in love with my boyfriend, she so comfortable and cozy playing and laying on him too. So far she seems like she's adjusting. I just want to be sure that it'll be okay if I let her just run free until she gets a little older or if I should start training her. She's just so cute that I prefer to let her simply live in peace for awhile. I'm only afraid of me allowing that for too long. Any ideas on when I should start training? How many weeks I should wait?

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Just look at her as if she were a human baby. A newborn isn't expected to do much aside from eat, sleep, poop, and cry. That's pretty much all your puppy is able to do right now. Don't put too much pressure on her to be house trained, crate trained, or trained in certain commands. Just work on getting her used to you and your boyfriend and make sure she's eating and drinking well. If there's any way for you to get her into another breeder's litter, by all means try.

·
Banned
616 Posts
If you can't find a breeder to help her stay with another litter and learn the dog social manners, then I would get an x-pen, (exercise pen, its like a play pen but for dogs). I would put a nice bed in there, really cozy, then like a little litter box, and put pine chips in there. They to me are more practical than those expensive puppy pads. I think I would keep her inside for the next 4 weeks, with a couple trips outside here and there. But there is a lot she can catch from the environment at her age.(worms and other bad things) Her immune system is still very weak. She probably shouldn't even go to the vet till she is 6 weeks old. Make sure you de-worm her really well. Also feed her a really high quality food, with some milk supplements mixed in.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you can't find a breeder to help her stay with another litter and learn the dog social manners, then I would get an x-pen, (exercise pen, its like a play pen but for dogs). I would put a nice bed in there, really cozy, then like a little litter box, and put pine chips in there. They to me are more practical than those expensive puppy pads. I think I would keep her inside for the next 4 weeks, with a couple trips outside here and there. But there is a lot she can catch from the environment at her age.(worms and other bad things) Her immune system is still very weak. She probably shouldn't even go to the vet till she is 6 weeks old. Make sure you de-worm her really well. Also feed her a really high quality food, with some milk supplements mixed in.

Hope that helps!
Thank you so much! I did buy her a comfy bed but because she is so young I'm assuming she still wants to be in the den setting since she will sleep on the side of the dresser. Sometimes she sleeps in her bed, but I can tell she is more comfy there or behind a door. I also ordered her a play pen it should be here this week, hopefully this helps her. OMG I wish I would have known better, I'm now curious as how the previous couple had her so young. I'll do anything to make sure she ends up happy and stays healthy. She is so sweet, but I can tell she missed the "manners" lesson lol

·
Registered
639 Posts
I don't think a pen can take the place of a crate for crate training. The idea behind crate training works is that dogs don't like to go in their "dens". But in the "den" is too big then they will think it's OK to go in one corner/end and then sleep in another. Crates should be pretty small. Enough room for them to laydown and turn around and that's it. I'd recommend getting a large crate that includes a divider. That way you can use the divider to make it an appropriate size and then increase it as needed. You might be able to find out on Craig's List for not too much.

At this point you are probably not going to be able to make much housebreaking progress but I still would bring your pup out fairly often so she is willing to go outside and starts learning the basics. We went to visit our pup at 5 weeks and the breeder brought all the puppies outside to play. Within a few minutes outside EVERY puppy in the litter had pooped.

You girl is going to bite for awhile. It's how puppies explore their world. What they usually learn from their littermates is how not to bite TOO hard and when to back off. So, now it's up to you to teach that (if you can't get someone else with a litter to help you out). When a puppy bites another too hard the puppy will yelp and stop playing with the biter. So, you can try doing something similar. When your puppy bites you make a high pitched yelp and stop playing with her for a bit. Maybe you can even walk away for a few minutes. Praise her when he chews on something appropriate. However, be prepared for it to take a LONG time to sink in. My dog was pretty awful until he was about 4 months old and still has his moments at almost 8.

You do want to start teaching some manners. Your pups mom wouldn't let her get away with being a brat. I know she's sweet and cuddley now but she is going to get a lot more energy and "spunk" in the next month or two.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I know others have said it but 4wks is awfully young. I have raised 3dogs from that age and it is time consuming and patience trying. Yes you can crate train her. Make it nice for her with a bed and a bigger stuff toy. Make sure you have taken her out to relieve herself and then put her in her crate. Make sure you use the same key words I use " kennel up" put her in there close the door and if she cries ignore her as soon as she has been quite for a few minutes let her out and praise her for being a good girl. Keep doing this through out the day. Soon she will just settle down when she is in her crate. The reason I use the big stuff toy is so they cuddle up againest something. Vendetta was 4wks when I brought her home and because it was winter time and chilly in thehouse I put a heating pad under the crate not inside the crate but under it it warmed the crate but not so much as too hurt her.

You also have to be concerned about vaccination. She is a really to young for shots but if you talk to the vet I am sure you get them to give her around of shots. I wouldnt take her outside I would work with the peepads. You dont know if the mother has had vaccinations and I wouldnt risk exposing her to anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know others have said it but 4wks is awfully young. I have raised 3dogs from that age and it is time consuming and patience trying. Yes you can crate train her. Make it nice for her with a bed and a bigger stuff toy. Make sure you have taken her out to relieve herself and then put her in her crate. Make sure you use the same key words I use " kennel up" put her in there close the door and if she cries ignore her as soon as she has been quite for a few minutes let her out and praise her for being a good girl. Keep doing this through out the day. Soon she will just settle down when she is in her crate. The reason I use the big stuff toy is so they cuddle up againest something. Vendetta was 4wks when I brought her home and because it was winter time and chilly in thehouse I put a heating pad under the crate not inside the crate but under it it warmed the crate but not so much as too hurt her.

You also have to be concerned about vaccination. She is a really to young for shots but if you talk to the vet I am sure you get them to give her around of shots. I wouldnt take her outside I would work with the peepads. You dont know if the mother has had vaccinations and I wouldnt risk exposing her to anything.

Do you suggest that I start giving her milk again for awhile longer with the assumption that she didn't receive milk for as long as she should have? She's eating solid puppy food right now and I got what petco considered what was the best for her, and she's been drinking water. I want to be sure she's eating correctly right now too.

·
Premium Member
18,411 Posts
It couldn't hurt to soften her dry food with puppy milk replacement.

By the way, we love pictures!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was then thinking maybe the previous owner had the incorrect age for her since she was away from her mother but this is what she looks like 302043_256078431108600_100001193350478_647030_1671860819_n.jpg

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I got my childhood dog Springdale at 4 weeks - he was a chow/golden/some other stuff mix that we found covered in sandspurs on the side of the road. Sweetest puppy, and so smart, too. That said, there were definitely some bite inhibitions that cropped up as he got older, especially when he went through bad teething stages and then when his molars were coming in. We worked with a trainer and that helped tremendously. He turned out to the be greatest and most loyal dog ever. We (especially my dad and I) were his people.

If you haven't gone to the vet already, do so immediately. Get a complete work up and then talk to your vet about vaccines and nutrition. I'd be cautious about the outdoors, but if you have an area other dogs don't go I think that outdoor time is important. Whoever suggested the stopping playing and yelping is onto something with helping with the bite inhibition stuff. Once your pup is old enough, sign up for puppy kindergarten, especially if you can start that right at 8 weeks. You'll learn A LOT, and after that go right into another obedience class. If you have a dog training club in your area these tend to be the best and the cheapest place for training in my experience.

There's no reason you can't start positive training at this age, but don't expect miracles. Your puppy is still a baby and should be treated and loved and nurtured as such. We were working on house training with Springdale from day one and he was an incredibly fast learner.

Contact some local breeders in your area, if nothing else, so you can come out and see some litters and learn about how the puppies interact with the mom and littermates... I'm sure if you're nice and polite you can find a breeder willing to give you some pointers on caring for such a young puppy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh heavens she is so adorable! I think you have her age right.
She's gotten a tad bigger than that since Friday, not much of course but she went from not being able to reach the tiny trashcan on friday-- to being able to totally knock it over today lol

·
Registered
639 Posts
I wouldnt take her outside I would work with the peepads. You dont know if the mother has had vaccinations and I wouldnt risk exposing her to anything.
That's very true. I wasn't thinking about that when I said to start taking her out.

I would say from her picture that you have her age about right. She's very tiny (and very cute)!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts