Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

My girl Sophie got infected by 3 diseases

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  3goldens2keep 
#1 ·
We went to the vet last night and they examined her and they found out that she got Ehrlichia, Anaplasma, and Lym Disease and they said that she's in a critical condition right now. Should I be worried? This is the first time that she got an infection and her eyes looks like she's really having a hard time. We left her at the vet's clinic but I'm worried. She's 2 year old

#2 ·
These are all tick borne diseases. They should respond to antibiotics. Hopefully the vet is doing IV antibiotics.

You will need to make sure you are giving her tick prevention from now on.

Reactions: Prism Goldens
#5 ·
These are all tick borne diseases. They should respond to antibiotics. Hopefully the vet is doing IV antibiotics.

You will need to make sure you are giving her tick prevention from now on.
Yes we will. Thanks in advance, the vet recommend to continue antibiotics for a month even if she recovers in a couple of weeks. Is that okay?

#4 ·
Yep IV antibiotics sound like the way to go...it might take a few days but I had a dog pull through with this treatment. He did have dilute urine for the rest of his life but it never seemed to affect him.

Twice yearly TBD tests should be done once she comes home.

#8 ·
Abdolutely!! If I remember correctly, Casey had 3 months of antibiotics following his ICU stay -- he did not have the commonly tested for TBDs but it was inferred to be a TBD due to his quick turn around once IV doxy was started (he started responding within 12 hours)

#11 ·
We had a mail Golden, go down hard with Lyme Disease! He was at a boarding kennel while we were out of town. They took him to our vet and the vet almost lost him. They had to rush him to an emergency vet for care location. When we returned home he was still down and out, on IV's and being treated with antibiotics. Within a day or so he started to eat and drink and by the end of the week he was home. Then a couple of month later went down again. ?? This time our new vet put him on antibiotics for 12 months! He snapped right out of it and never had another problem.....it was a difficult and costly time....but our boy came out of it fine...

He lived to be over 12 and died of liver cancer....in 2019!

Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.