Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Missing Molly
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am bringing home my first foster tomorrow. I am very excited! She is so cute. I will post pictures after she is settled and clean. She is an 8 year old golden. They named her Darling at the shelter because she is just so wonderful. I am so happy to be a part of her new life, her bridge to her forever home. I hope I make a good foster mommy. I think it'll be okay because I love her already, LOL.:doh:

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Thank you for opening up your home and life to these wonderful dogs who need our help. I wish all of you much luck and good times ahead.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
A big WHOOT! to you for bringing this girl to a loving home till she finds her forever home. Looking forward to the pictures.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Congrats on your new foster. I wait very patiently (not) for the pictures of her. Love her name. If you have any questions just post away or if you want to privately pm. I was very nervous when I picked up my first golden but was fine by the time I walked out the door.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Also one thing I forgot. You will be nervous but so will she, so you can each comfort each other. I always try to look at it from their viewpoint and not to do so much their first couple of days.

·
Missing Molly
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also one thing I forgot. You will be nervous but so will she, so you can each comfort each other. I always try to look at it from their viewpoint and not to do so much their first couple of days.
That is good advice. I'll try to keep it calm and mellow for her. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Well bless you for opening your heart and home to her. I can't wait to see pics of her!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Congratulations on your first foster and I'm looking forward to pictures! Which rescue organization do you work with? Let us know how Darling gets along with your goldens.

I was seriously considering fostering after our Dolly died, but Elliot has epilepsy, now in remission, and I was afraid he would be too stressed about new dogs coming and going. We adopted Roxy as a long term companion instead and they are best friends.

·
A.k.a. Jennifer.
230 Posts
Yay! I can't wait to see pictures! We are getting our first foster at the end of the month & can't wait. :) Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Congratulations, and thank you for taking in a dog who otherwise, well who knows. Darling is one lucky girl.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Just want to say how happy I am for you and I know you will love the people you will be working with. (Told you it would happen fast! - They don't adopt to people with children in December so in January the floodgates open!) My first foster came in January also.

Go slow. Take Darling as she is and it will all work out. Yayyy!

(and pics are definitely expected!)

·
Missing Molly
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE ON DARLING.. with pictures

Well we have the poor girl at home. It was a long day for her. From the shelter to the transporter for an hour an a half drive. From the transporter to us for another hour and a half drive. Next stop was.... self service dog wash... smelling respectable now... finally home to meet her two furry companions. Phew! She got her ears cleaned and all her mats taken care of. Now she is free to just relax and settle in. Had to alter the original plan because she smelled so bad, poor girl.

She has been such a sweet heart through all of this. She was so patient and wagged her tail often. She knows sit, down, off, fetch and probably more. I can't help thinking that someone, somewhere is missing her a lot. She was obviously cared for. She has one heck of a lot of weight to lose. Not sure how much as she hasn't had her vet check yet.

She is just a big love sponge!! I'm in love :)

Attachments

·
Missing Molly
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congratulations on your first foster and I'm looking forward to pictures! Which rescue organization do you work with? Let us know how Darling gets along with your goldens.

I was seriously considering fostering after our Dolly died, but Elliot has epilepsy, now in remission, and I was afraid he would be too stressed about new dogs coming and going. We adopted Roxy as a long term companion instead and they are best friends.
We are working with Golden Bond Rescue in Oregon. My Molly also has epilepsy which has been very well controlled for about 2 years now. I had the same reservations about fostering with her. Guess we'll just have to see how it goes. Pics are up!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
She is beautiful. Love her sugar face. I can see why you love her already.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Just be careful. I ended up foster failing with an 8 yr. old (and 10 yr old) GBR foster. Also, the best thing I ever did.

She's beautiful! Congratulations! We will never know the full stories of their past, but once in rescue they are on the road to a wonderful future.

:)

·
Registered
850 Posts
Golden Bond of Oregon is a wonderful organization. We were approved to adopt from them when Elliot showed up in our local shelter and we adopted him instead. I'm so glad you are helping Golden Bond by fostering. I send them a donation every year.

·
Administrator
16,477 Posts
She certainly is a pretty girl. I hope she soon finds her new forever home, she so deserves, to live out the rest of her life at.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts