Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Maddiegirl
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get my almost 14 week old puppy to sleep past 5 am? I tried going to bed later, but that makes no difference. She is raring to go go go!!

I think she is probably hungry. She eats dinner at 6 or 6:30 and gets a snack around 8 pm.
Will moving her dinner up to a later time maybe help her sleep later?
I hear that first happy bark in the morning and dread opening one eye to see what time it is. She is ready for her nap by 7 am!!! Crazy :bowl:

Any ideas? She has been sleeping through the night since 10 weeks, but morning comes just a bit too early for me :uhoh:

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I don't have an answer for you, my six months old pup is an early riser as well. The night is over by 6 AM, the last two days he woke me up by 5:30 AM and won't go back to sleep. I see it this way: gives me head start to get my chores done, LOL.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
At her age, I'd get up, take her out out potty, put her back in her crate and go back to bed myself. You may hear her cry for a little while, but she'll learn the routine. If you want to give her something to do, you could give her a kong that you've put a little non fat plain yogurt in and kept in the freezer to her.

·
In memory of our boy TJ..
105 Posts
At her age, I'd get up, take her out out potty, put her back in her crate and go back to bed myself. You may hear her cry for a little while, but she'll learn the routine. If you want to give her something to do, you could give her a kong that you've put a little non fat plain yogurt in and kept in the freezer to her.
We have had success with this as well...

·
Loving Mommy of Kiner <3
239 Posts
Kiner is a early riser too bc my husband gets up for work by 5 am- the part that stinks is that come the weekends he's stays on that routine.....i may try putting him back in his crate!

·
AAARF!
2,216 Posts
I need to get up at 6 AM Monday-Friday for work so of course Finn expects to get up at 6 AM on Saturday and Sunday which I do understand. Rindy is totally different and would sleep in forever if I let her! :) Anyway, I don't mind too much on Sunday getting up early because I need to get ready for church, but I would like to sleep in on a Saturday. I do what fostermom has suggested. Mr. Alarm Clock Finn wakes me up on Saturday at 6 AM, I get up and let Rindy and Finn out, feed them their breakfast, let them out again, get a few things done around the house and then we all go back to bed at 6:30 or 7 AM for a few hours. This has worked quite well for us.

Sadiegirl128 - Hopefully your little gal will sleep in later than 5 AM eventually!

Reactions: Sadiegirl128

·
Registered
328 Posts
Oh our Max is an early bird, there's no way around it! He starts whining at 5:30am, and keeps a consistent whine going for what seems like an endless amount of time. I've tried ignoring him but it's impossible to fall back asleep while he's whining, so I give in. I'm waiting for that moment when he's allowed to have the run of the house during bedtime, just so he can go play with toys or amuse himself at 6:30am. For all I know though, that might never happen and I might just get pawed on the face :)

·
Registered
12,978 Posts
I did this, too. I wanted Shala to sleep til 8am. So we'd go out and come back in and go back to sleep. She always did, too, with no complaints. Eventually, she could hold her pee longer, and what she learned was that we didn't get up for real until the radio comes on. Even now, if we wake up before 8am, we don't GET up. Once the radio comes on, though, all bets are off. She will start licking my face and/or whining at the gate.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Lottie, my demon puppy, would only sleep in on weekend if I let her sleep on my bed with me. It took a long time to teach her to stay quiet even if she wasn't sleepy. But having a super comfy bed seemed to help lol

·
Registered
138 Posts
My Reba at almost 14 wks is awake at usually 5:15,5:30, she's the same way ready to go out and go potty with peaches,our chi,boogers our boston,then eat, then her and i do her morning training exercises, she's getting so good at them, and i tried laying on the couch after she gets up too early, she just sits there looking at me with her nose right in front of me,if that doesn't get me up, she starts playing with her squeaky toys which she knows will get me up. Lol

·
Maddiegirl
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sadie gets up for the day! She doesn't just need a potty break, but wants the day to begin! I let her out, she pees. She comes back. Within 10 minutes she let's herself out to poop. I have to go with her or she eats the poop. Then we are back in and 10 minutes later she goes out for her second poop. Once again, I have to outside with her so she doesn't eat round 2,
This is her strange routine every single day!
After the second poop she wants at all her toys. I have reluctantly let her up on my bed at this point so she can chew while I rest a bit longer but she wants nothing to do with being on the bed! She wants out in the play area.
So, long story short, that is why my day begins at 5:00 :(

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
No solution but it might change when she gets a bit older.

Up until about six months old, Col rose with the sun every day (and June through September it is mighty early). It was actually not a problem because, around here, during those months, the nice hours of the day for all outside activities are the early through mid-morning ones. By 8 months or so, she would let us sleep in until around 7:00 on weekends and now she is good until almost 8:00 sometimes. On the other hand, she was never a puppy who needed to have a very late last potty.

·
Mr. Fancy Pants and Roo
1,102 Posts
Dex and Archer are early risers, they wake up any time from 5:30-7AM so I used to just get up and hang out with them. Taking them out to potty and going back to bed buys me at least two hours.

·
Mom to Oatmeal too!
503 Posts
Oatmeal wakes up at 5-530 every day and on the weekends, we take her out when she starts to cry. When we come in, she gets breakfast. Once she is finished, we put her back into her crate and she will go back to sleep for another hour at least.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Julie
354 Posts
Sadie gets up for the day! She doesn't just need a potty break, but wants the day to begin! I let her out, she pees. She comes back. Within 10 minutes she let's herself out to poop. I have to go with her or she eats the poop. Then we are back in and 10 minutes later she goes out for her second poop. Once again, I have to outside with her so she doesn't eat round 2,
After the second poop she wants at all her toys. I have reluctantly let her up on my bed at this point so she can chew while I rest a bit longer but she wants nothing to do with being on the bed! She wants out in the play area.
My 17 week old has the almost same routine. She wakes up around 530p and goes outside for potty/poo. I put her back in her crate, but she rarely settles back down.

I noticed that she was always very thirsty in the morning (I take up her water 2 hours before bed); so I gave her some ice chips and she chilled (no pun intended) in her crate for another hour. Which was awesome.

·
Riley
1,023 Posts
You may just have to be bossy for a few weeks. I'm the mean puppy mom. I decided early on that 6 AM was not going to be my wake up time, so I would let Z out to potty, then back in her crate she went. Whining got her nowhere. Recently she started waking up earlier and earlier because she wanted fed, so I don't feed her until 8/9 am now, even if she gets up at 7 to pee. The whining isn't fun and tugs at your heartstrings, but eventually she'll get used to the new routine.

You could try giving her her breakfast in a kong or something like that when she wakes up at 5, hopefully keeping her busy for a while longer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts