Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
3 goldens
11,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 12 year old grandson has been "going duck hunting" with his dad since he was about 6. he insisted on carying a bag of decoys (which was almost as big as he was), and helping set them out, etc. He coudl hardly wait til he was big enough to hunt. We got him a bb gun when he was about 8 so his dad could start teachin ghim gun safety.

Well, son had trouble with his remington --wouldn't eject. Had it worked on twice and both times it only worked a short time. He didn't even hunt last year. The company he worked for shut down and there was little money. so hubby and I decided we would get them both a new shotgun. we were planning on getting a new garage door and a new fridge, but put thm on hold.

got Zack a 20 ga. semiautomatic and got Ron a 12 ga. semiautomatic....got them just in time for youth duck season (just last weekend). talk about 2 surprised people, boy were they surprised. first time out, first time ever shooting a shot gun, zack killed his first duck with his first shot, a green wing teal. talk about excited.

regular season opened today and they were there before sun rise, decoys out. well, Ron got a pinetail, and then nothing for a while. then 3 redheads came in and zack fired first as they were coming in from his side of the blind. that duck folded and was dead before ever hitting the water.

Ron fired twice and the other two fell,
dead as a duck". anyway, ron got 2 more ducks so they ended up with 6--on a sunny warn day.

i had thought it would take zack at least til dec. to get use to firing a shotgun and be able to actually hit a duck, and he has already dropped two. he only got off two other shots today.

i got my first shotgun at age 10 and it took me a while to bring down my first duck.

Reactions: Phillyfisher

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Great story! Love the father/son picture on a warm, sunny day. My uncle was a hunter (of everything, in season) and hunted with his son. My cousin Paul is one of the nicest men I know. Something about being out with Dad that is just plain good for a boy.

·
3 goldens
11,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Grandpa taught all 3 of his sons to hunt. They in turn taught all thier sons to hunt And they taught their sons to hunt. I am the only female in the family tht wanted to hunt.

My sister didn't hunt, but the guy she married does and he taught their son.. My husband had never hunted til we got married, and then he learned to hunt with my dad, 3 brothers and me.

When i was kid we all gathered at my grandparetns quit often, The women and girls all sat around in one room talking about cooking, sewing, etc, the girls playing with dolls, etc----and i was in the room with my dad, brothers, uncles, male cousins and grandad talking hunting. During quail season the men were always in "competition" to tell the best hunting story about their magnificent pointer or setter, each sure his was the best. i know ours were the best!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Not a hunter, but a fisherman. There is nothing that I cherish more than a day fishing with my boys. What your gave your son and grandson, will be cherished forever. What an awesome gift....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts