Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all my friends,
My pup was diagnosed with hip dysplasia and early arthritis in sept 2020 when he was 7 months old. We followed some treatment of injections and joint supplements and managed his weight with a 800gm per day diet given his weight 25kg.

I hav always observed that his left leg was weak but past 2 days its more prominent, i wil attach a photo and a video for proof. I will obviously get him checked in 2 days but wanted to put it out here so as to confirm if anyone else is facing this issue and what precautions should i take and should i bandage his leg for some support.
I hope i will get some help and guidance here.
Thank you all in advance.

I cannot add the video it says format not supported pls tell me how to add it. As it will be better to see video of how he is walkin.
Dog breed Cat Wood Felidae Carnivore

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anything i can do to help him bcz it wil take 2days to go meet the vet

Registered
Don't bandage it, supporting an appendage should be done only with the help of diagnostics. And if you can post the video, that'd be helpful for opinions, since all I can tell by the photo in your post is his left hock looks buckled.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't bandage it, supporting an appendage should be done only with the help of diagnostics. And if you can post the video, that'd be helpful for opinions, since all I can tell by the photo in your post is his left hock looks buckled.
im trying alot to add video but its not supporting mp4 or mov , and my doctors appointment is in 4 days now and not tmrw :(

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WhatsApp Video 2021-06-18 at 09.11.31.mp4 - The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension.
i hav tried mp4 , avi, and wmv - but same error msg

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can anyone suggest me any way to keep him busy bcz i have to restrict his movement and cannot let him run about. what games or what can i do to make him play but in one place?

Registered
Chew toys, treat dispensing toys, puzzle toys, snuffle mats.

Your dog will adjust. I had my boy on restricted activity from 6 months old to 12 months old, then on crate rest from 12 months old to 16 months old. They acclimate to the new levels of activity. We did mental games to help tire him out.

Right now I have my 3 year old on restricted activity / light crate rest and she has been under orders for 2 weeks. And she already has it down. You can do this. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chew toys, treat dispensing toys, puzzle toys, snuffle mats.

Your dog will adjust. I had my boy on restricted activity from 6 months old to 12 months old, then on crate rest from 12 months old to 16 months old. They acclimate to the new levels of activity. We did mental games to help tire him out.

Right now I have my 3 year old on restricted activity / light crate rest and she has been under orders for 2 weeks. And she already has it down. You can do this. :)
What light activity or mental games ,can you please tell me if its not a bother?? Thanks alot for the motivation . Il get his xrays tmrw and take him to another vet i hav found tmrw itself.

Registered
What light activity or mental games ,can you please tell me if its not a bother?? Thanks alot for the motivation . Il get his xrays tmrw and take him to another vet i hav found tmrw itself.
Here's a post I made for Bear back when we were in the still getting to the bottom of his problems (pre-OP).
Bear's Mental Games | Golden Retriever Dog Forums (goldenretrieverforum.com)

I taught Bear (and working on teaching Lana) reverse fetch. So instead of sitting by me, and running a distance to fetch an object, I send the dog to a spot (usually a mat or just use a command like BACK to move them to a desired location), have them sit, then I toss the object to them for them to catch and then they can walk back to me. I also have rugs down for better traction.

Here are some more threads about mental games:
Mental Games? | Golden Retriever Dog Forums (goldenretrieverforum.com)
Mentally stimulating games | Golden Retriever Dog Forums (goldenretrieverforum.com)
Games/Toys to help with mental stimulation | Golden Retriever Dog Forums (goldenretrieverforum.com)
I made a post about what toys we have here: Safe Chewing for Puppy
A lot of TRICK DOG TRAINING can be done without a lot of movement.
Brain Games for a Dog on 鈥淐rate Rest鈥 | The Happy Beast
MENTAL ENRICHMENT FOR POST-OP RECOVERY - My Fantastic Friend

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's a post I made for Bear back when we were in the still getting to the bottom of his problems (pre-OP).
Bear's Mental Games | Golden Retriever Dog Forums (goldenretrieverforum.com)

I taught Bear (and working on teaching Lana) reverse fetch. So instead of sitting by me, and running a distance to fetch an object, I send the dog to a spot (usually a mat or just use a command like BACK to move them to a desired location), have them sit, then I toss the object to them for them to catch and then they can walk back to me. I also have rugs down for better traction.

Here are some more threads about mental games:
Mental Games? | Golden Retriever Dog Forums (goldenretrieverforum.com)
Mentally stimulating games | Golden Retriever Dog Forums (goldenretrieverforum.com)
Games/Toys to help with mental stimulation | Golden Retriever Dog Forums (goldenretrieverforum.com)
I made a post about what toys we have here: Safe Chewing for Puppy
A lot of TRICK DOG TRAINING can be done without a lot of movement.
Brain Games for a Dog on 鈥淐rate Rest鈥 | The Happy Beast
MENTAL ENRICHMENT FOR POST-OP RECOVERY - My Fantastic Friend
Woooowww thanks alot . Your so kind . thank you for helping me 馃檹馃檹馃檹馃尲馃А

Premium Member
If you can get a Kong type rubber toy, fill it with peanut butter and freeze it. Give it to him to keep him busy. Also beef bones are great, but they might be hard to get in India.
How old is your boy? Has this been steadily getting worse over time? Is there any chance you could speak to his breeder? They may have suggestions for a vet to use.
sorry you and he are going through this it鈥檚 difficult to know and they can鈥檛 tell us what鈥檚 wrong.

Reactions: Shaurya
1 - 20 of 31 Posts