Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No matter what i do. Cat is 10 years old. Dog is 9 months old. We live in a house and the cat basically lives upstairs because whenever he'd try to come down the dog would start chasing him. What do i do? thanks :)

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Cat should take care of that problem - a good smack will stop the unwanted attention. Running only encourages.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Put a leash on your dog and correct him EVERY time he bothers the cat. Do the "nuh-uh' sound like a soft no, and if he doesn't redirect, go get him. REWARD him every time he is calm with the cat. But yes, Prism is right, the cat needs to stand up for itself.

I've had 2 senior cats and I've raised 2 forever puppies with them. Everyone learned to smack the dog on the nose when they were being rude. Now that my seniors are dead, I have a kitten (He's 6 months old rn) and a 3 month old puppy. Molly is a nosy beast and wants to play. Harrison swats her ALL the time if she's being a brat. I will correct her if she persists despite his correction but I've only had to correct her myself like 2-3 times in the month+ she's been here. Now they will all sit together calmly cause I feed everyone tidbits. Puppy learns to be calm with the kitten and everyone learns to respect the boundary of don't bother the other animals if they are eating. Harrison will just lay right on the ground where Molly could get him but if she gets near him he just growls and she backs off. Reward that. Good girl! Good choice! Let's go play away from him. And now Harrison will even initiate contact with the older dogs (rubbing against them, walking under them, headbutts, sleeping near them, etc).

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I used a baby gate to divide the house until the dog settled down and kept the dog on a leash. It only took a few weeks for my adult golden rescue to realize the cat was cool.

·
Registered
975 Posts
We had Maggie in an Xpen if we could not directly be with her playing or what not. If she tried to chase the cat, we redirected her into some type of activity like a sit or down and treated her. I would then walk her over by the cat, have her sit and reward her. She actually gave up interest in the cat fairly quickly but she also had 2 other dogs to torment :)
Jules

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Cat should take care of that problem - a good smack will stop the unwanted attention. Running only encourages.
I agree. When my cat put 'the death grip' on Honey's throat, she always behaved. We also gput up baby gates to allow the cat some alone time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Years ago we had an adult cat, Betty, when we got our mixed breed dog Danny. Danny pestered and pestered Betty - nosing and pawing - until one day she just rolled over and seized his snout - one paw over, one under - and tensed her claws while Danny's eyes got bigger and bigger. And then she let go and just washed her face as if nothing had happened. Danny sat stock still for minutes and then slowly slowly crept away and never bothered her again.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
One other thing that really helped was that we taught Honey to sit and leave it whenever food was offered. Pudsie got first dibs on everything, most of which he turned his finicky nose up at but Honey knew he was top 'dog' (cat). lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts