Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting a bit out of hand. It's not normal for dogs to smell horrible all the time, right?

My dog Jake is driving my family crazy. They are hardly letting him inside because of the stench.

I don't think it's his food. We have had him on the same stuff (Exceeds Lamb and Rice from Sam's club) since we adopted him in May, and he has only stunk really bad for about a month or so. It's not his Anal glands. I know what that smells like, his stools are firm, and they were even expressed about a week ago. It's also not his ears. And his breath is just normal doggy breath. The vet said it was fungus in his fur, so he prescribed us some special shampoo (Nizoral). That seamed to work, ...For about a day. What could it be? I honestly have no idea what it is. I'm sure it's not my house. I vacuum 2-3 times a week, and we go through a ridiculous amount of Fabreeze. We have tile floors too, which don't soak up odors. Yet the lingering stench is STILL there. Good thing Jake is cute.

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to read through this and help me out. Any ideas or suggestions would be great. Thanks!

-Nathan

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
If the vet said it was fungus in the coat, that sounds possible. Do you brush out his undercoat regularly? Have you tried using the anti-fungal shampoo for a while to see if you can really wipe it out?

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I took copper to the vet yesterday for a lump - not skin issues. She said he smelled yeasty and has a skin infection. I did notice some areas that looked a little inflamed, but didn't catch onto him having a skin problem.:doh:

She recommended a prescrip shampoo - chlorhexadine. I've used it before and it worked well for skin issues. If the Nizorol isn't working do you think your vet would exchange it for chlorhexadine or at least give you a "sample" to try before you buy more?

there is a cleansing recipe on here for removing skunk smell. If it will remove skunk stink it will remvoe anything, but would not clear up an underlying problem.

I hope you find a way to make Jake smell as good as he looks. (hmmm - where's his pic?)

·
Premium Member
18,456 Posts
A yeast or staph infection on the skin will cause the odor. They both require antibiotic to treat it, and there are also antifungal oral medications he should be on. Go back to the vet, and if he doesn't do something effective, get a second opinion.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
How many times have you washed him with shampoo? Because if it is a fungus infection on his skin, it may take awhile to get rid of it.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
One skunk treatment is to pour Original Scope mouthwash all over the dog then rinse well. If it works on bad breath, maybe it will help here?
but I'd also keep with the vet trying to diagnose the deeper problem

·
16,000 Posts
One skunk treatment is to pour Original Scope mouthwash all over the dog then rinse well. If it works on bad breath, maybe it will help here?

I was going to suggest a Listerine rinse. It has been proven to be effective on fungus. I'd avoid the Scope because there is so much sugar in it...

I agree with pushing the vet. I'd want a complete thyroid panel...

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts

It seems to me if it is a fungal infection that would burn like h e double hockey sticks. I personally wouldn't try that unless I was sure that he does not have some kind of skin infection going on.

My Max doesn't smell the best but not awful either - but he does need beano for dogs as he can stink TERRIBLY several times a day. Whew!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts