Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we live next door to my mom and dad...my fence separates the properties. They're retired and work out of the home. Well my mom takes a little gift to our house every day while we're at work and puts it under my daughter's tree for the 12 days of Christmas...well she lets Tucker out when she does this into the backyard (fenced)...but when she leaves, he won't go back in the house! :no: Now he never does this to me. He always wants to come in by us but we're not home right now...she's gone over like 4 times cus it's only ZERO OUT!!!! She said he's just laying on the back deck in the sun basking away and when she opens the door he just does his goofy dance and oinks and groans like a stuck pig and wiggles his butt and won't go in. :uhoh: She said she'd keep an eye on him on our deck, it's a covered deck, not windy out and sunny as heck but only ZERO! Should I worry? I mean he's got a THICK bear coat on him even in the summer...and yes, he's fat...104...and yes, we're really trying to get it off him but he came to us at that weight too so...do they really stay that warm? I suppose in a sunbeam he might? :D

·
Registered
16,391 Posts
I mean he's got a THICK bear coat on him even in the summer...and yes, he's fat...104...and yes, we're really trying to get it off him but he came to us at that weight too so...do they really stay that warm? I suppose in a sunbeam he might?
I dont know if this will work for Tucker, but I had to switch my goldens away from Innova Large breed to regular Innova because I couldnt keep weight on them. It's a high quality food with lower calories.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know if this will work for Tucker, but I had to switch my goldens away from Innova Large breed to regular Innova because I couldnt keep weight on them. It's a high quality food with lower calories.
Well I know his old family was just feeding him Purina I think...or Pro Plan...he's on Chicken Soup for adult dogs right now. I told the store to order me the diet stuff for next time cus it's like no matter how much I cut him back, he doesn't lose weight. I'm going to get him into the vet after the holidays for his thyroid cus he's just a pork chop. My husband could pick up our last golden who was in his mid 90s for weight and even topped 100 a few times and he said Tucker is just a solid ball of butter! He can't pick him up very far, my dad couldn't either. We had a contest last night. :eek: Tucker liked it anyway. He's just so solid. At least his stinky butt is going away.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even on Saturday it was around 20 degrees and snowing like crazy here and he stayed outside most of the day and would lay in the snow and let the falling snow cover him until I could barely see him out there. I'd tell him to come in and he'd just roll in it and lay back down and get covered up. Maybe he just likes this cold weather? In my room at night I hear him get up a lot and go lay on the linoleum in my bathroom so I started turning the fan on and he seems to like that. I turn the heat way down when I leave in the mornings too...

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Some dogs just love to be outside. If he was uncomfortable I'm positive he would go inside. Would a doggie door work in your situation so he could go in if he were to start to get cold?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some dogs just love to be outside. If he was uncomfortable I'm positive he would go inside. Would a doggie door work in your situation so he could go in if he were to start to get cold?
Nah, we have a glass door and then the regular door...and honestly...we'd have to take out half the door for him! :uhoh: I don't want him going in and out as he pleases either...he's known to dig in my lilly bed and come in covered in mud! :mad: I don't let him out when we're gone at work but my mom is a sucker and lets him out and then tries taking him back in hour after hour. Tucker has her trained very well. Hee hee...it's warming up to 15 today so if she lets him out I'm sure he'll stay out again...at least Xmas is almost here. She won't be letting him out after that. :D I just think he's nuts for wanting to be out there. We shoveled last night and it was still zero and he was rolling in the snow and getting all giddy when I'd throw snow at him from the shovel. He thought that was just the greatest thing! :eek:

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
How warm do you keep your house? If he's overweight and has a thick coat, he might actually feel too warm in the house and just prefer the temperatures outside. I bet if he were cold he'd run right back in...I can't think of a reason he'd want to stay outside until he hurts himself. I'd be tempted just to check on him periodically.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How warm do you keep your house? If he's overweight and has a thick coat, he might actually feel too warm in the house and just prefer the temperatures outside. I bet if he were cold he'd run right back in...I can't think of a reason he'd want to stay outside until he hurts himself. I'd be tempted just to check on him periodically.
Oh she checks on him. She was going back to see if he wanted in but he doesn't. When I leave for work in the morning I drop the thermostat down to like 62. So I know he's not hot. When we're home it's usually 68 and I've never seen him phant like he's hot...ever...now at night he lays by my bed and right under the bed is the heat vent. So he kind of blocks it so I suppose that's why he's moving around at night and hitting the linoleum. I forgot about him laying and blocking the vents. :p: I drop the temp even at night cus we all get too warm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts