Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My 1 year old golden retriever is pulling on the leash like crazy, sometimes she is choking by that strong pulling. I don't know what to do.. I walk my dog 3-4 times a week (i don't have time it more often), but every day she is running and playing in my big backyard. :(

Any Help?

Thanks!

·
And now our second!
200 Posts
We really struggled with this with our Loka, and unfortunately I don't have a quick fix for you. It took lots of work and consistency! We also found a big difference when we used a martingale collar, and I know that others on the forum have recommended a halter style collar for walking. But my best recommendation (which makes it impossible to get anywhere quickly, at least at first), is that as soon as you feel any pulling on the leash, to stop walking. We didn't use any verbalizations, at least at first, although we did use a clicker to reinforce. Once the leash relaxes, then the reward is to keep walking (or a treat!). It can be very frustrating at first, but with hard work and consistency it can make a huge difference. We're now able to walk without pulling about 98% of the time!

Also, I know you are super busy (life does tend to get away from us all sometimes!), so would it be possible for you to enlist a dog walker or a neighbourhood teen that you trust to take your pup for a walk a few times a week when you're not able? It sounds like your dog gets lots of outside free play, but I know that our Loka pulls much worse when she doesn't have structured walk or play time (ie: training), because it's very tiring for them to use their brain and to think of how to follow the rules!

Good luck!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Have you taken obedience classes? If not, sign up as soon as you can. Look for one the features positive reinforcement and works towards passing the Canine Good Citizenship test.

Trainers have seen all kinds of pulling and are your best bet for finding a solution.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Don't know if there are many trainers in Macedonia. Also not sure if you can find a gentle leader and a harness there. But first I would look for a harness so your pup does not hurt her neck. If you can find a gentle leader, I had good luck with it. I started of with the gentle leader for about a week and then left it on but connected the leash to the collar. If Rose started to pull again I moved it back to the gentle leader and back and forth until she stopped pulling. I would also practice in the yard with the collar and if she pulls , change direction so you are always in the front.
You can also do a search on youtube "teaching puppy not to pull" and you can get some videos and ideas.

Reactions: Shellbug

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
See if you can get a Gentle Leader or Halti head collar. They work wonders. At least they have on the two goldens I've owned.

If you are looking for a trainer, find one that has large dogs and takes those dogs on walks on lead. I've found that most trainers in my area multiple dogs, usually small, and big yards. They rarely walk their dogs. If they have small dogs or breeds that aren't pullers, they don't know what we're dealing with.

I've taken my dog through four basic training classes. (We like dog school.) No trainer ever spent more than 10 minutes on loose lead walking. It is not that easy and deserves way more attention than that, but most of the dogs in classes these days are lap size. I guess it's just not a big issue for them.

·
Bella's Dad
1,833 Posts
Our Bella started tugging at about 12-15 months. We asked the trainer: she said go back to basics. Repeat the slack leash training, (which we did).

That worked for us.

Mike D

·
KCGold
1,757 Posts
Many of us field people use prong collars. The dog will stop pulling immediately, then the training can begin. The best one I think can be seen and ordered on www.lolalimited.net

see the "Secret Powers" training collar....good luck

·
Registered
998 Posts
I got Cassie a backpack, and it worked wonders for her. It gave her a job to focus on (carrying the empty backpack) and she no longer pulls, even when she sees a squirrel.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Amazon.com: Canine Equipment 1-Inch Large No Pull Dog Harness, Black: Pet Supplies

I got Jaxx one of these harnesses.
it definitely helped the situation and I like it much better than a choker collar. The problem hasn't gone away, but its lot better than him suffocating himself from pulling like a diesel truck .I like the harness enough to recommend it. I had seen someone walking thier Golden with one. I asked where she bought it and I drove there before going home.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I got Cassie a backpack, and it worked wonders for her. It gave her a job to focus on (carrying the empty backpack) and she no longer pulls, even when she sees a squirrel.
Do you have any more pics of Holly uploaded? I can never see enough Golden Puppy pictures

1 - 12 of 12 Posts