Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am having some problems walking Shadow. I thought that after a couple weeks of having him (we adopted him a little over a month ago) that this would go away but every time we go for a walk he gets very excited and walks just fine until we get just past our cul-de-sac and then he freezes. He will either sit or lie down and won’t budge. The only way to get him going is to either start jogging (and I am so out of shape! J ) and he will run with me but jump up at me and try to run towards home, or I actually have to pick him up and walk a little with him. He is about 30lbs. golden retriever/chow mix so it’s really getting exhausting for me. As soon as we go towards home he is running full force dragging me home! He seems to do better when my kids walk with us, but it is hard for all of us to normally go because I take him at 6am and then after dinner and the kids are getting ready for bed. I am seriously worn out from trying to drag him on these walks. Has anyone else experienced this? It seems like he is nervous and thinks I am taking him away from his home, but that is not the case. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Take along some really good treats. When he stops, show him the treat and say "come on" in an upbeat voice. As soon as he starts walking, say "yes!" and give him the treat. You may have to do it a few times, but then he should walk better. As time goes on, tell him "come on" when he stops and say "yes!" when he gets moving, but don't give him the treat every single time. Eventually, your verbal cues will be enough to keep him moving forward.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I agree with Fostermom on making the walks fun with giving him treats. Make the walk fun and if you see him starting to shut down amp up the fun to see if that works.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Does he do this everywhere? Have you tried driving to a different neighborhood and walking him there to see if his behavior is the same? I ask only because I feel like some dogs are just stubborn little brats - Flora used to do the SAME thing at a particular street, but was completely fine anywhere else.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Trapper has done this as well and at first I thought something was scaring him and now I have come to the realization that he is just a little p.i.t.a. so I just have to crouch to the ground for a minute and love him up and baby talk him and then he will be on his merry way. Maybe it's that, just being a stinker. Does she growl or look ridgid?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts