Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a lovely 7 and a half years old Golden. For almost 7 years he was the perfect dog. Well, he still is! The problem is that lately he is afraid of everything (even of flies) and crying almost all the time. We take him outside 3-4 times a day, we went to the vet a couple of times, but found nothing. If we leave him alone for 10 minutes, he starts crying. The worst part it's in the morning, he begins at 6 in the morning and he even scratches the door.

My wife is 5 months pregnant and she kind of lost her patience because of the morning crying. We have no idea what to do and what the reason might be. Did that ever happened to you? What would you recommend me to do?

Sorry for my english!

Thank you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
When Dakota got older he seemed a little more stressed with bad weather (rain storms and lightning). Our daughter told us about "Quiet Moments, calming aid dog soft chews" you can get at Petco for $22 for 180 chews. It really helped and he loved them!
Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 2.28.51 PM.png

·
Registered
298 Posts
How far did you vet look into this problem?
Blood work? Urinalysis? x rays?

He could be in pain or even having emotional problems. I would consider going on for a higher level of care to rule out all possibilities of pain. It might come down to medication for anxiety.

·
Super Moderator
2,435 Posts
If you have ruled out any physiological problem (the most important thing to do first), then it would be helpful to know what has changed in his environment after seven years. It could be anything from your emotional states, to some noise that you can't hear that he can, that is troubling him. Why do you think it is worse in the morning and abates later in the day? Has there been a change in his diet? One holistic remedy to try is called "Rescue Remedy." We use it with Oscar to help calm him during thunderstorms. I am sure you can mail order it if it is not available in Romania.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I agree with the oscars dad and dunmar as to try to narrow it down if you haven’t done so already. I have some similar chews called comfort calm. I actually haven’t had to give them to my 14mo old, but bought them because he is scared of several things...boxes, grocery bags, sailboats, ect. I’ve heard cvd has been useful for stressed dogs, but I’m not promoting it as I’ve not used it or done enough research. Others on here may know more more as to if or if not it would be something to consider.

·
Registered
12,652 Posts
Did this start after your wife became pregnant? It could be related to that. He might be responding to the changes in her hormones and such (he would be able to smell the difference). Is he trying to be with her more? Is the crying to be with her and once he is with her, he is better? Does he seem more protective of her?

Another idea is around being home more. Have you been in a pandemic lockdown situation for the past eight weeks and so he is now used to you being there ALL the time and so when you leave, he cries?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hei guys,

Thank you for the answers and feedback.

Dunmar, we've done physical examination and blood analysis.

OscarDad - we have and use Rescue Remedy and Ignatia when we leave for longer periods of time (10-12 days) and leave him with one of our friends. I don't know of this might be the problem (we usually leave twice a year without him), but we've done this every year and he had no problem. Thanks for the article, too.

Aidan, thank you, i will research it

Swret girl, he started his crying like 2 months before she got pregnant. He just wants attention from both of us, but it's possible that my wife it's not giving him as much attention as she used to. We are in lockdown since 15th kf March, but my wife works from home, so no change in his enviroment either.

So, untill now i can "blame" our holidays without him (sometimes we take him with us, when travelling inside our country) and maybe the wife pregnacy.

Thank you guys. We will try to talk more to him. Maybe we will also try anti anxiety medication if he doesn t stop, because he is suffering and i really hate seeing him like this.

·
Super Moderator
2,435 Posts
Great! Lots of good ideas. One other thing to consider. There is something called a Thundershirt which works on the principle of swaddling as a way to reduce anxiety. For some dogs it makes no difference and for some it is amazingly effective. It is not really expensive it might be worth your consideration.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,843 Posts
You can also try the DAP comfort zone by Feliway. It's a pheromone that calms then down. It's similar to the pheromone the moms give off during nursing. It's like a small bottle that plugs into the wall like a glades plugin.

You can also try something like a thunder shirt. Like a thin sweater that is easier pretty snug and the pressure alleviates anxiety and stress.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My dog is doing the exact same thing! He starts crying as early as 6:30am and whenever we're not in the same room. I think he got used to being with us so much since quarantine that now that our lives are starting to pick up again, he's getting lonely. I'm gonna follow some tips from the article that help with separation anxiety because i believe that's whats wrong.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Our little dog starting doing this when he started to lose his hearing. He is completely deaf now and does not do it anymore. It took a while. I think he was of course confused, maybe scared, and looking for reassurance from us.
Jules

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Our little dog starting doing this when he started to lose his hearing. He is completely deaf now and does not do it anymore. It took a while. I think he was of course confused, maybe scared, and looking for reassurance from us.
Jules
I was wondering if it could be a sight issue or eye pain from uveitis or a hearing issue. I'm not sure all vets recognize uveitis. It might need to be a veterinary ophthalmologist.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts