Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Crunch
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got Crunch from a shelter her was so cute.
I didnt know his correct age they said he was 3 months old.

Then i noticed that he is toooo SKINNY compared to others his age or even younger.

The vet said he had worms..and that he w he was treated.. but still.. he is 13 Kg now and he is almost 4 month ( i think started teething).

He Lost all his coat.. He now looks like a labrador but wiyj more hair on the tail and ears.

First is it possible that he isnt a golden? and why isnt he getting Bigger? is this weight normal?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
That doesn't sound that small to me. Post some pictures of him so we can see him. People will tell you if he looks too thin.

Golden Retrievers don't get their adult coat until they're older. So it's normal if he doesn't have the long coat that you see on adult goldens. And when the adult coat starts to grow in, it looks a little weird at first. Puppies go through some awkward stages. Rookie was a bit goofy looking (but still pretty cute in my eyes) at four months. For comparison's sake, here's what Rookie looked like when he was 4 or 5 months old:

Attachments

·
Crunch
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rookie is a beautifull Golden :)

What is weied with Crunch Structure is that His belly seems Long and not TIGHT at all (as if it was dangling down) and no coat at all on his belly.

These pictures are 3-4 weeks old.. he still had some more coat.

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
He's adorable, but you can tell he wasn't 100% healthy. When was the last time he saw the vet?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Since he's a rescue, he may also just be younger than you think. This is what Rookie looked like at 3 and 1/2 months when he was a little bit wet. He was a very healthy puppy.

Attachments

·
Crunch
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took him 3 weeks ago.. Now i am taking him back on saturday..
I guess he is 3 mths and a half becuz now he is the exact size as the last pic u sent of Rookie.. but with Straight and less hair.

Should he get excercise at this age? (It is my first Dog.. So i dnt really know if that would hurt him) Do you think i d better take him to school or i could manage Training him?
He is such a smart puppy.. I taght him 7 commands so far and he is doing great.

Thx alot.
Thanks alot

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Sounds to me like you probably just need to be welcomed to "the awkward stage." Get him checked out by the vet just in case though. I do recommend you getting signed up in a class, especially since this is your first dog.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
That is definitely a purebred Golden, and a pretty one.

He looks 10 weeks when you got him.

They lose their puppy fuzz, then the feathering slowly comes in.

He should not be fat.

·
Crunch
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am taking him back for his vaccination and his bad breath...
I guess i should wait until this awkward stage passes.

It is great how having a dog changes one's life.. I can't believe im following up on him and his needs. I am like a mum!

Thank you all.. will Post his growth picture to see :)

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
He will do alot of changes as he grows up. To me he looks like a full golden just in the awkward stage. To me that is one of the cutest stage. With good nutrition and exercise he will be well in no time. I think that letting him run off leash and talking him for walks on the grass will go a long way to helping. Start out short distances. Crunch is a little doll.

·
Crunch
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are the most recent pics of Crunch taken last week..

The vet said he is fine.. But he told be dnt expect to see him like the beautiful Goldens u see on TV.. He will get to 28 KG MAXIMUM at his Mature age :(:(:(..

But i dnt care he is m baby.. a ver Smart DOG :)

Farah

Attachments

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Awww, Crunch is adorable! His coat will come in soon, looks like he's going to get a lot darker, like the color of his ears. Be patient :)

The bad breath is probably from teething, very common.

I'm glad he had a good checkup. You ARE a mum, lucky Crunch :heartbeat

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Here is my 60 pound (about) adult! I think he's gorgeous, personally ;) He had very little coat as a four to nine month old puppy. He blossomed! He's three years now.

Attachments

·
Crunch
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here are yesterday's pictures of crunchhh!! he must be around 4 and a half mnths now.. and i still see he is very skinny!

Should i give hime vitamins or just accept the fact that he is a skinny dog?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I think he is the perfect weight, and don't try to put weight on him - that can be bad for his joints. He looks great! What a cutie pie! The coat will come in soon, and he'll grow into a very handsome dog. He's very cute.

At this age you can let him excercise, but don't excercise him - if that makes sense. If he wants to run around a little on his own that is okay, but don't take him running. It's never too early to start training! Good job on already teaching him 7 commands! The more you work with him the more he'll learn - you'll be amazed at what you can teach a golden. There are goldens on this forum that can answer the phone, and I personally know a golden that can get his owner a beer out of the fridge on command.... hehe.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts