Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a long time since I have posted on here, in a way it's good because my 6 year old Golden Colby has been happy and healthy. Well she passed away in the car this morning while rushing her the the emergency vet. I'm heartbroken beyond belief. She was her normal self yesterday and last night, 5 am this morning, wouldn't get up, vomited and pooped on the floor, crying. The er vet did an ultrasound and found fluid around her heart. Every check up her heart was good, never had any health issues with her, except lyme disease. I'm sick with grief. Has anyone heard of this? We opted to not get an autopsy. I feel guilty, that I could have done something , but she didn't have any symptoms before this morning. I saw her take her last breath and it will haunt me for a long long time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss.
It sounds like you did everything you reasonably could.
Please know the guilt is a part of grieving and be kind to yourself.

·
Kristy
9,478 Posts
I'm so sorry for what you and Colby went through, dealing with unexpected death is horrible and to have it be the way it happened makes it even harder. Please know that you couldn't have done anything for her had you known. Please message the vet and ask for a bit of clarification to make you feel better. The fact that she was herself even through last night means that she was not suffering and it is impossible to know when they can't tell you with words. My heart goes out to you, please don't feel guilt. You were there with her for comfort for the worst part and she knew how much you loved her. I'm so sorry for your heartbreak.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss which must be extra hard at being so sudden and only 6 years old. It is just a guess but it sounds like what many have posted when their dog's had hemangiosarcoma. They seemed fine, then collapsed. The vet drained fluid from the heart... Try to focus your thoughts on happy times with him and not the last few minutes. We understand the pain of your loss.

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds a bit like what happened to my last Golden, who collapsed suddenly at age 8. She also had fluid around her heart, and was found to have a form of cancer - cardiac hemangiosarcoma. Sadly it's not uncommon in goldens and it's invariably fatal.

It's devastating to lose a young dog in this way and my heart goes out to you.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I can't begin to tell you how very sorry I am for your sudden loss. 😢💔

·
Registered
513 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss.

From what you stated, this was very sudden and unexpected. No suffering the night before.
You did all you could. Don't let guilt get in the way of the memories.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss! It is hard to lose a beloved dog, but even harder when they are so young and it is so sudden. Prayers for you! Also, I agree with the others that it does sound a lot like hemangiosarcoma. I lost my girl April at 8 to that. I was lucky she didn’t go super suddenly, but she only lived about 3 months after the diagnosis. Again, prayers and hugs!

·
Registered
802 Posts
So sorry for your loss. It’s so heartbreaking when they’re fairly young.

I lost a lab to confirmed hemangiosarcoma at 7 years old. She was fine and all of a sudden collapsed in the yard...rushed to vet and she was crashing as they took her back. The vet recommended a necropsy at the state agriculture office due to the fact it was the second lab to die suddenly (other was 5) & a 1.5 yo lab at home at the time. The vet wanted to make sure it wasn’t something in our environment. It didn’t change the outcome/the result/pain of her dying but it was at least something we knew eventually another dog wouldn’t face environmental wise.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,173 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss of Colby.
It doesn't sound like there was anything you could have done.

I know it's devastating, be kind to yourself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's been a long time since I have posted on here, in a way it's good because my 6 year old Golden Colby has been happy and healthy. Well she passed away in the car this morning while rushing her the the emergency vet. I'm heartbroken beyond belief. She was her normal self yesterday and last night, 5 am this morning, wouldn't get up, vomited and pooped on the floor, crying. The er vet did an ultrasound and found fluid around her heart. Every check up her heart was good, never had any health issues with her, except lyme disease. I'm sick with grief. Has anyone heard of this? We opted to not get an autopsy. I feel guilty, that I could have done something , but she didn't have any symptoms before this morning. I saw her take her last breath and it will haunt me for a long long time.
I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. We lost our beautiful boy suddenly a week ago, as well. It appeared to be cardiac arrest. He was full of energy and then collapsed. We learned afterward that grain-free diet is linked to cardiomyopathy in Goldens, and we had had him a grain-free diet for years. We also opted not to do an autopsy, so we will never know for sure. we immediately our little girl on a diet with grain. She seems fine, but I’m going to have a chest x-ray done.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I am very sorry for your loss and believe me you would not notice it earlier.Here,Jonah @JDandBigAm crossed the rainbow bridge a couple a month ago.He had his routine heart check just 3-4 months ago before he has been diagnosed with a heart
tumor.I am sooo sorry for all families who are living on eggshells due to this sneaky disease called hemangiosarcoma.It requires a great courage and strength.I know you must be devastated at the moment due to sudden loss and hope one day which I hope for all of us soon to win over hemangiosarcoma.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
I'm really really sorry and i feel your pain. that is so soon and sudden. please take care.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for the kind words. I really appreciate it. And I'm so sorry for all of you that have lost your precious dogs. It hurts like hell.

·
Registered
17,625 Posts
I'm so very sorry for the loss of your precious Colby , would you like me to add her name to the Rainbow Bridge List?.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I'm so sorry for what you are feeling right now. I lost my golden not even a month ago from cardiac hermangiosarcoma and you are right in that it hurts like hell.

·
Registered
17,625 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,993 Posts
I absolutely know what you are going through having lost my first golden suddenly at just six. Second guessing your choices will only add unnecessarily to your pain. My sincere condolences for your loss.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts