Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok she isn't a golden, but you folks don't discriminate. Quinn is an amazing puppy. She turned 8 weeks this week, she has INCREDIBLE bladder control, and she has only had one accident on our carpet (this AM) since we picked her up. My conundrum is she is litter box trained. They had a litter box in the puppy box, and we witnessed her wandering around looking for a spot, when they opened the box door she ran in and pee'd her in her box.

So now she runs to the crates we have set up and pees. We know we can't punish her in the crate, nor can we swoop in and get her in the act. So how do we train her the crate is NOT a toilet?

We are being diligent about taking her outside regularly, watching her for signals, praising her when she does her duties. Her crates are big we have 2 set up. Her bedroom crate we have cut in less than half and have a box in part of that so her space is probably about 14" square, but she still goes in it. Her kitchen crate is HUGE (Belle's Great Dane size crate) We will put the divider in, we think because of this issue we should. Should we remove all her "cushions" so if she pees in it she must lay in it? I guess she would get pretty good a baths. What are your thoughts?

For the past two nights she has gone at least 8 hours without waking us up. Now we wonder if she gets up pees, and falls back asleep. :uhoh:

Thanks
Ann

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Can you sprinkle a bunch of the litter they used in her "correct" potty spot to help her make the transition?

·
Registered
401 Posts
The litter idea seems like it would work, but remember to completely clean up the mess and it's scent each time. When my daughter's boxer came to stay, the first few days she peed in her crate during the day, but got over it quickly. I don't remember Scotty wetting his crate as a puppy at night, but I would get up in the middle of the night to let him out. What is your routine before crating?

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would start over with the potty training and being really consistent with taking her out after she wakes, drinks, eats and during playtime about every 15 minutes. You are going to have to retrain her to go outside. And for a short time, you might have to take her out a couple of times during the night. Dont wait till she wakes up, set an alarm and take her out. Need to associate the outside with going potty instead of the crate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts