Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my cat into the vet today to get her looked at. She hung out in the back while I was working until we got a free moment to look at her.

She is a 13 year old kitty with feline aids. She has been a very healthy cat for most of her life. She did have bronchitis a few summers ago, but other than that she has been healthy, which is good because it is quite a challenge for me even to get her to the vet. She is not a well behaved kitty and will not hesitate to bite.

She has lost 2lbs (Was 10.2lbs and is now 8.0) since she was last seen in January 2011. Her coat looks a bit dull, she isn't eating very much. She just seems to be going downhill a little bit. She also seems to be a little nicer lately with her coming up on my bed and laying down next to me. She has never been a cuddler nor does she like being picked up.

So, we just did her exam and bloodwork today- we sent the bloodwork out and should have results for sure on Thursday. I did not want to give her vaccines since she hasn't been doing well (though she is 6 months overdue). Her rabies is up to date at least.

The doctor felt a 'mass' in her colon which could have been hard stool or a tumor of some sort. She didn't get the best feel since Nip wasn't having her do any more of an exam.

I'll post her results when I get them; I am hoping that it is something pretty very treatable like hyperthyroidism. So keep my kitty in your thoughts, please. Thanks!

·
Registered
506 Posts
If that picture is from today, I can hardly believe she is "not a well behaved kitty." She looks purrfect. I hope the coat is a Spring thing and the cuddling continues. I also hope the results are nothing but great!

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That picture isn't from today- probably at least a few years old. She has a nasty growl and doesn't hesitate to bite when you make her angry! She is named 'Nip' for a reason!

Thanks for keeping her in your thoughts.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Got some of her bloodwork back- Just the chemistry and T4 levels (Still waiting on the CBC.)

I got off at 5 and I was going to wait until we closed at 6 to see if we got the final report in but it didn't come in. I will get it tomorrow when I go in for our meeting.

Her Chemistry panel is normal except for a slightly elevated Calcium level. Her thyroid is normal, too. So, we really don't know what is going on with her. My mom said she pooped in the bathtub again today and it was pretty hard, so the vet must have felt hard stool in there. She is passing it, though, which is good.

So, the best guess is that her FIV is flaring up. There isn't really anything we can do about that except just let her live life to the fullest for as long as she can. She hasn't been showing any symptoms besides the weight loss and not eating as much, so she is still acting pretty normal. I hope that she can continue to do fairly well.

I'll update once I have the CBC results tomorrow. Just keep my kitty in your thoughts, please.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks you guys!

Got her CBC results in today- nothing of significance. So... we have no idea what is going on. I guess we are just going to assume her FIV is acting up. I am going to go and pick up some new food for her today- something high in protein to get her back on track. She doesn't really like wet food very much. I do have canned AD I can try giving her some of. She had about 1/2 a tsp last night just by licking it.

She is still acting normally and all which is great.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your thoughts. I went out today and bought some EVO cat food that has 50% protein. It is the fish formula (which she has never had a problem with). I hope she likes it and it will get some back on her. At least if she doesn't eat it I can take it back and try a different food.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts