Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we got Tucker, the amount of dirt tracked into out house went up considerably. Little dogs like Tess just don't make for a lot of extra housework, except when they're shedding. But big dogs--all sorts of stuff gets tracked and brought in. I was up to the task for the most part, but when Bella came home it became overwhelming.

I've never had so much dust and found it so thick on every surface. Wipe, wipe, wipe, and the next day it was back. And the dust bunnies and hair! Oh my gosh, those bunnies were mating double-time! LOL. I am not a neat-nik by any means but something had to be done.

So I sat down and thought it through and figured out my next steps. That is my best approach...always have to research everything! Anyway, I have done the following and I'm pleased to say its all working. The house is so much cleaner!

Grooming the dogs every day
Especially Tucker. I brush him and brush him. He loves it and I rejoice at all the dog hair going into the trash can and not onto the floors! Bella hardly sheds, Tess does a bit off-season, but they get brushed every day, too.

Getting a robot vacuum and using it every day
I bought my new best friend, a robot vacuum from Neato. This thing is great. I prepare the living room as I would for regular vacuuming, turn it on and leave and go do something else. Sometimes I like to watch it move around--little things entertain me!

Putting in a lawn in the back yard
My hard-packed dust bowl was the source of so much dirt and dust. In dry weather it flew through the air and through any open door or window. In wet weather in came in on muddy paws and got spread around the kitchen. I've been living with loose topsoil for the last two weeks in preparation for the sod which was worse. But the workers are here now, laying down the sod and I will have a lawn really soon!

Putting up a screen door
I bought one of those magnetized screen doors you see on TV. It works very well. It just took the dogs a couple days to get used to it. Now they just fly right though it. I got it mostly to keep flies out but realized soon that it also keeps out a lot of dust.

Wiping paws
Now I keep puppy wipes by the back door. And the kitchen area is closed of when the dogs come in so their paws can be inspected for dirt/mud. Once wiped off, they are allowed in the rest of the house.

This may be TMI, so thank you for reading this far. I'm just so jazzed, especially about the law (which had been planned for a while anyway) that I needed to share/celebrate! I will post some new lawn pictures soon. :D

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They do bring in a lot of dirt, I have tile floors, so don't have to worry about carpets, but I am always moping.
In my next house I'm going to have tile and or hardwood only I think. Did you know they now make a robot mop machine? :)

·
Sasha, Honey & Toro's Mom
741 Posts
Did you ever think about getting an air purifier? I have been wondering if one of those would help with the dust and dander.

My dogs don't like to be brushed. I wish they did, because I think brushing more often will definitely help.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I like to stay on top of things myself. I pride myself in always keeping a neat little house. Mopping, vacuuming, dusting, I'm always working on it. I even joke to my friends that Roxie and Ranger like things neat also. Last summer I had a power surge or something, lost all of my kitchen appliances except my refrigerator. I replaced everything with stainless steel. I thought with my lovely luck my fridge would probably go out shortly and I would get it in stainless steel also. Well, it's almost like I can predict the future, my fridge did go out. Lowes, came last week and delivered my new one. The Lowe's delivery guy said, "Wow, its so clean in here I can't believe you have these two big dogs in here, you'd never be able to tell it if you didn't see them." Me standing there so proudly with my head held high...Said, "Why, thank you. I really appreciate that." Then they moved my fridge, and "OMG!!!" The amount of dog hair!!! I swear I was so embarrassed I almost passed out. Well, anyway to make a long story short, I do at least try! Lol.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Since moving into our new house, the door from the backyard is carpeted. Yuck! Granted, we do live in CA, and haven't seen much rain. BUT, the contractors who sod the yard here left a good inch and a half not sodded around the perimeter of the yard. What does that mean? Red clay type dirt. Not a big deal in itself, BUT, Ellie loves to find rocks in it. Or, the occasional overnight that the dogs wake me up to let them out at midnight....we have automatic sprinklers that I don't have control over. Sometimes they are on, sometimes off. Sigh....no win situation here! 😉

Do tell about this motorized vacuum! I've seen the Roomba. Is it similar? Are you emptying it constantly? I've been intrigued by my new front load washing machine. Yes, it's the little things! Lol

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you ever think about getting an air purifier? I have been wondering if one of those would help with the dust and dander.

My dogs don't like to be brushed. I wish they did, because I think brushing more often will definitely help.
I have thought about a purifier...I think that might be the next step, but wanted to take care of the most obvious sources of dirt first (short of not having dogs at all, LOL).

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like to stay on top of things myself. I pride myself in always keeping a neat little house. Mopping, vacuuming, dusting, I'm always working on it. I even joke to my friends that Roxie and Ranger like things neat also. Last summer I had a power surge or something, lost all of my kitchen appliances except my refrigerator. I replaced everything with stainless steel. I thought with my lovely luck my fridge would probably go out shortly and I would get it in stainless steel also. Well, it's almost like I can predict the future, my fridge did go out. Lowes, came last week and delivered my new one. The Lowe's delivery guy said, "Wow, its so clean in here I can't believe you have these two big dogs in here, you'd never be able to tell it if you didn't see them." Me standing there so proudly with my head held high...Said, "Why, thank you. I really appreciate that." Then they moved my fridge, and "OMG!!!" The amount of dog hair!!! I swear I was so embarrassed I almost passed out. Well, anyway to make a long story short, I do at least try! Lol.
I'm learning to be more vigilant and make the effort to stay on top of things. I'm just not naturally neat. Clean matters more to be than tidy, but they do go together somewhat. I love the robot vac because it's pretty simple to get the living room clean now on a daily basis.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Those are great tips! Regular brushing and bathing is huge for us too. The main thing we do at our house has to do with humans, not dogs - we take our shoes off as soon as we come inside. No shoes on outside of the foyer. I even have a sign by the front door for guests, who probably think I'm a bit OCD. It is amazing how much cleaner the carpet looks in between professional cleanings from this one little habit.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since moving into our new house, the door from the backyard is carpeted. Yuck! Granted, we do live in CA, and haven't seen much rain. BUT, the contractors who sod the yard here left a good inch and a half not sodded around the perimeter of the yard. What does that mean? Red clay type dirt. Not a big deal in itself, BUT, Ellie loves to find rocks in it. Or, the occasional overnight that the dogs wake me up to let them out at midnight....we have automatic sprinklers that I don't have control over. Sometimes they are on, sometimes off. Sigh....no win situation here! ��

Do tell about this motorized vacuum! I've seen the Roomba. Is it similar? Are you emptying it constantly? I've been intrigued by my new front load washing machine. Yes, it's the little things! Lol
Sent from Petguide.com App
I have planned to get a Roomba but being a compulsive researcher I read a zillion reviews and found most people think the Neato picks up more dirt and dander. The comparison tests were interesting to watch. There are a bunch of people on here with robot vacs and they all seem to feel they make a big difference. I'm planning to do mine on the timer at some point. It picks up a LOT. I empty the container each time and brush out the filter. I love how it scopes out the room and returns to its home base to recharge when done!

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those are great tips! Regular brushing and bathing is huge for us too. The main thing we do at our house has to do with humans, not dogs - we take our shoes off as soon as we come inside. No shoes on outside of the foyer. I even have a sign by the front door for guests, who probably think I'm a bit OCD. It is amazing how much cleaner the carpet looks in between professional cleanings from this one little habit.
Yes yes yes! I just got my rugs shampooed and we have gone back to being a shoeless house. It really does make a big difference. Makes me feel better about sitting on the floor, too. Partly why I want to keep cleaning the dogs' paws when they come in...Maybe I'm getting a case of OCD too.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I am so intrigued by the new magnetized screen door you put up and was wondering how it is working out? Some of the on-line reviews I have read were not so glowing! :uhoh: Do you still like it?

When Bryley was a pup he destroyed the screen to the sliding glass door and it has not been replaced. We now just leave the door open in the mornings and evenings when the weather is nice. Makes it nice for Bryley because he gets to go in and out as he pleases. Ofcourse he 'pleases' to stay with me and underfoot most of the time! But, sometimes a deer, the cats or his new-found nemesis, Doves, will come around and he dashes out to investigate! That magnetized door would still allow him free access and keep pesky bugs out of my house.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have thought about a purifier...I think that might be the next step, but wanted to take care of the most obvious sources of dirt first (short of not having dogs at all, LOL).
We moved in to our new home in November - had an air purifier installed before the move - while I think it improves the air quality - it does nothing for the dust and fur from our girls!! We chose dark hardwood floors before we had the luck to welcome Bella to our family - while I love the floors and truly love Bella - not the best choice! I vacuum 5 of 7 days per week (the other 2 I work away from home and haven't trained hubby to pick up the slack ;)). Wouldn't trade Bella for anything - but if only there was a secret solution :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am so intrigued by the new magnetized screen door you put up and was wondering how it is working out? Some of the on-line reviews I have read were not so glowing! :uhoh: Do you still like it?

When Bryley was a pup he destroyed the screen to the sliding glass door and it has not been replaced. We now just leave the door open in the mornings and evenings when the weather is nice. Makes it nice for Bryley because he gets to go in and out as he pleases. Ofcourse he 'pleases' to stay with me and underfoot most of the time! But, sometimes a deer, the cats or his new-found nemesis, Doves, will come around and he dashes out to investigate! That magnetized door would still allow him free access and keep pesky bugs out of my house.
I'm overall very happy with the door. It's not as sturdy as I would like. If you put one up, use actual nails, not the tacks they provide, where the two pieces come together.

But I can tell there is much less dust and far fewer bugs. I'm loving it.

·
red golden Pira
188 Posts
Hi! Great topic! It kind of inspired me to clean my house today!
I use the Paw Plunger to clean Pira's paws. It does a good job and she does not mind it.
Mm.. Robot vacuum.. I will have to check the price out now. Loved the idea!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts