Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

My calm puppy is now a crazy adolescent. Can impulse control be taught?!

989 Views 16 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  3goldens2keep
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Fawn

My Juni is such a sweetie- but she goes completely crazy with greetings!
We are working on it- and she settles eventually, but she goes completely nuts with excitement with people. It is over the top. Been going to training and she gets lots of off leash running. Alas, I don't think we have a therapy dog here! 馃ぃ 馃ぃ 馃ぃ
Maybe I should take up hunting- she does love birds!
See less
We are working on it- and she settles eventually, but she goes completely nuts with excitement with people. It is over the top. Been going to training and she gets lots of off leash running. Alas, I don't think we have a therapy dog here! 馃ぃ 馃ぃ 馃ぃ
See more
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Lead Super Mod + Administrator
Impulse control can (and should) absolutely be taught. She needs to learn that she only gets attention from new people if she鈥檚 sitting. You鈥檒l have to work with the other people on this. Ask them not to pet until she sits and remains sitting. When you see people approaching or have guests coming to your home, put her in a sit. If she ignores you, make her sit. If she gets up, correct her (either verbally or with a collar correction) and ask her to sit again.

The lack of impulse control is responsible for many many many behavioral issues in dogs. They need to learn - preferably from a very early age - that they can鈥檛 just do whatever impulse comes upon them all the time.

Registered
You might want to look at Leslie McDevitt's "Control Unleashed" training. She published 3 books, DVDs, and teaches classes on that topic. She is known for her Pattern Games.

Here is a presentation with multiple examples :Control Unleashed

Reactions: [email protected]

Super Moderator
Greetings can be a challenge, but as far as impulse control in general - Along the same lines as what Maegan said, train impulse control every day. The little things make a big difference. Make her wait in the crate until you release her (not running out when the door opens). Same with letting her into the yard. Make her do a series of commands before each meal, then release her. Practice the place command. Practice her sit-stays and down-stays in public where lots of people are walking by.

Training impulse control is easier after exercise than before, so make sure she鈥檚 getting a substantial amount of off leash exercise every day.

Registered
One thing that helped with our puppy and greetings was to practice an excited sit. So basically we'd rile him up by running around and then say "sit!" and the quicker he did it, the quicker he got a treat or praise. He has a rapid fire sit when he's excited now!

If new people or people who I know will be extra exciting are coming over, we still leash our pup and step on the leash while he's in a heel/sit so he physically can't jump. Guests can pet him as long as all 4 paws stay on the floor. It improves with age too!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! Thank-you everybody for all this advise. This is such a great group! :)

I'm copying and pasting everything all on one sheet and putting it on my fridge. I think we are headed in the right direction- but I do need to practice more everyday. The trainer I am working with is getting certified in "Controlled Unleash" and recommended this too.

Thank-you all so much for the advise. Lots to work with here!

Best,
Susan
Hair Dog Tableware Comfort Dress

Registered
View attachment 899273

Your dog is so cute!!!

Registered
The hardest part here will not be for the dog to understand this, but for other humans to stop greeting if the four paws are not on the ground.
We trained our girl not to jump with the same techniques Oceanside talked about in this thread, and by ignoring her whenever she's jumping on us. It works quite well... But unleashed she still jump on a lot of other people because they greet and play with her even if she jumps. It's exhausting having to argue with people "Stop petting her!"

Registered
The hardest part here will not be for the dog to understand this, but for other humans to stop greeting if the four paws are not on the ground.
We trained our girl not to jump with the same techniques Oceanside talked about in this thread, and by ignoring her whenever she's jumping on us. It works quite well... But unleashed she still jump on a lot of other people because they greet and play with her even if she jumps. It's exhausting having to argue with people "Stop petting her!"
Easy, keep the pup on leash when other people are around. When they approach your dog tell them what they must do before petting the pup. Train them! Keep control of your dog.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your dog is so cute!!!
Thanks!
Easy, keep the pup on leash when other people are around. When they approach your dog tell them what they must do before petting the pup. Train them! Keep control of your dog.
I did this yesterday at the farm supply- it went really well and mostly animal people are there so they understood. People get bummed out if you don't let them pet your dog- but if she is being crazy- I just tell them she is in training.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks!

I did this yesterday at the farm supply- it went really well and mostly animal people are there so they understood. People get bummed out if you don't let them pet your dog- but if she is being crazy- I just tell them she is in training.
The other problem is though- when she is finally sitting- she is still really mouthy.

Registered
The other problem is though- when she is finally sitting- she is still really mouthy.
That's normal for a pup, and as you know those teeth are like needles!

My solution for my pups is that I always try to have something to substitute for them to chew on in my pocket. A small hard rubber dog toy or maybe a small bone, too big to swallow but good for chewing or a Nylabone. Point being, I tell my pup a firm NO and then stick something in their mouth letting them know this is ok to chew on. In that way you train them not to bite/ chew on hands and what they should be chewing on. Takes some time, but they will learn...

Registered

Please don't use demeaning words like "easy" when people talk about their problems, especially if your solution is to keep a puppy on leash 100% of the time. Dogs need their free time and to be able to run and play without leashes.
Having to teach people how to interact with dogs is definitely not easy. Some people immediately go crazy when they see a puppy golden, i've had people litterally following me on the street to pet my girl. Some of them just go immediately deaf to anything but the pup. I've even seen other dogs owner give treats when the puppy jump on them.

My point is people go crazy when they see a cute pup, and having to constantly confront them is exhausting. There is nothing "easy" about that.

Registered
Tataki....from your description of what you do, I would agree it is not "easy" for you. It always has been for me....and of course we never keep a puppy of any age dog on leash all of the time. Only when they may be in a situation where controlling the pup, and training the pup is possible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts