Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
Lucy
99 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your dog Dex. I tragically lost a dog the same age and it was sudden and unexpected. I have empathy for your situation and we always wonder if we can do more. You loved your dog and that is the most important thing. Try not to be so hard on yourself, there may not have been anything more that could have been done to help his condition. I will say a prayer for your family and for Dex.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your dog Dex. I tragically lost a dog the same age and it was sudden and unexpected. I have empathy for your situation and we always wonder if we can do more. You loved your dog and that is the most important thing. Try not to be so hard on yourself, there may not have been anything more that could have been done to help his condition. I will say a prayer for your family and for Dex.
Thank you so much for understanding our pain and extending your kindness. It means a lot to us.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry for your loss, Loosing a dog is like loosing a family member. keeping you in my prayers. Hope you can heal. You brought me to tears, I know the feeling of loosing a dog and always second guessing yourself my Pomeranian died of cancer after 13.5 years of being with me, and I always think if I could have done more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
View attachment 880849
View attachment 880850
View attachment 880851 My boy Dexter was only 5. He left us yesterday. He was treated for bloat and some of the fluid was taken out from his belly. We brought him home post treatment. He was to go to the vet the next day too for removal of some leftover fluid. Our baby boy didn’t eat anything after coming from the vet. He kept lying in the same position from 2 PM until evening that day. We let him be because we wanted him to get rest. At around 11:30 PM Dex vomitted. We had a call with the emergency vet. We were told he may be acting lethargic because of his treatment and we should not try to feed him anything and let him rest. My dad had gone to work around 9. He had a night shift but we called him back home. Dex, who would get up every time dad returned from work, had no strength in his legs that day. We only raised his neck to acknowledge dad coming back. At around 1, Dex had a seizure and he left us. We haven’t been able to accept his loss. We don’t know if we could have saved him by immediately taking him to vet. I don’t know if Dex left us because we didn’t deserve our boy. We loved our boy deeply but we don’t know if what we did for him was enough. He loved chasing away pigeons. Seeings pigeons sitting in the balcony today, our heart ached since our boy wasn’t there to shoo them away. I just want everyone reading this post to include Dex in their prayers. Please pray for his soul to rest in peace. We may have failed in providing him the best of care but he sincerely loved him. We are praying that he is at a happy place. Please pray for our boy’s soul.
Iam sorry for your loss I will pray for him, my Goldie boy Happy is also 5 years old and in a year period I had to take him to the vet for pancreatitis 2 times and he also has a thyroid problem and he is taking 2 pills a day to treat him for that do not be sad this kind of breed is very delicate you did the best you can he is already an angel now and he his chasing pigeons with all the other angels 🙏

·
Marty's Dad
30 Posts
I am so sorry, what a handsome boy. You and your family obviously loved him very much and you showed him happiness and love with his short time on earth.

·
Registered
18 Posts
View attachment 880849
View attachment 880850
View attachment 880851 My boy Dexter was only 5. He left us yesterday. He was treated for bloat and some of the fluid was taken out from his belly. We brought him home post treatment. He was to go to the vet the next day too for removal of some leftover fluid. Our baby boy didn’t eat anything after coming from the vet. He kept lying in the same position from 2 PM until evening that day. We let him be because we wanted him to get rest. At around 11:30 PM Dex vomitted. We had a call with the emergency vet. We were told he may be acting lethargic because of his treatment and we should not try to feed him anything and let him rest. My dad had gone to work around 9. He had a night shift but we called him back home. Dex, who would get up every time dad returned from work, had no strength in his legs that day. We only raised his neck to acknowledge dad coming back. At around 1, Dex had a seizure and he left us. We haven’t been able to accept his loss. We don’t know if we could have saved him by immediately taking him to vet. I don’t know if Dex left us because we didn’t deserve our boy. We loved our boy deeply but we don’t know if what we did for him was enough. He loved chasing away pigeons. Seeings pigeons sitting in the balcony today, our heart ached since our boy wasn’t there to shoo them away. I just want everyone reading this post to include Dex in their prayers. Please pray for his soul to rest in peace. We may have failed in providing him the best of care but he sincerely loved him. We are praying that he is at a happy place. Please pray for our boy’s soul.
View attachment 880849
View attachment 880850
I am so very sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful boy. Many prayers to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
View attachment 880849
View attachment 880850
View attachment 880849
View attachment 880850
My heart aches for you. Such a sudden loss is so devastating and I pray that you will find comfort knowing you gave him the best care you could. I especially relate to your loss, my first beautiful Golden, Beau Joy experienced 3 bloat episodes! Not really knowing about the situation and never having a larger dog when she first displayed the vomiting them the dry heaves, I initially wasn’t too concerned. It was after, maybe 30 seconds I watched her violently wretch and although she had recently eaten her breakfast, she just dry heaved. I realized she had a full stomach and something serious must be wrong. I scooped her in my arms and drove like a maniac to my local veterinarian emergency center, all the while she is in my car profoundly agitated, pacing the back seat and continuing to dry heave. It took about 10 minutes to reach the ER and apparently a minute or two more she would have lost her life. By the time I got to the vet her abdomen and chest were drastically bloated with all the air she was unable to expel due to her stomach twisting and turning on itself. Beau was whisked off for emergency surgery and ,thank you Lord Jesus, she survived. I know the fear and anguish you feel but please don’t doubt your efforts. Minutes or seconds can mean life or death and you did what you could. Unfortunately, even after her first surgery to reposition her stomach and suture it in place she experienced 2 more episodes of bloat, both of which she remarkably survived.Sadly, cancer took her away at age 8. I found an article you might be interested in on Neuse River Golden Retriever Rescue: About Goldens-Medical Blog the title of the article is “Bloat is No Joke”. praying for you as I know you have a broken heart. Blessings
I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful boy. You did all you could. Don’t second guess yourself we are only human and you tried your best to help him ❤ He is watching over you over the rainbow bridge 🌈

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Sorry for your loss, Loosing a dog is like loosing a family member. keeping you in my prayers. Hope you can heal. You brought me to tears, I know the feeling of loosing a dog and always second guessing yourself my Pomeranian died of cancer after 13.5 years of being with me, and I always think if I could have done more.
Thank you for your kind words. Wishing you strength and peace too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Iam sorry for your loss I will pray for him, my Goldie boy Happy is also 5 years old and in a year period I had to take him to the vet for pancreatitis 2 times and he also has a thyroid problem and he is taking 2 pills a day to treat him for that do not be sad this kind of breed is very delicate you did the best you can he is already an angel now and he his chasing pigeons with all the other angels 🙏
Thank you for praying for our Dex. I’ll pray for Happy’s health. I’m hoping our boy Dex is at a better place now and doing everything that he loves. We miss him. Please take care of your boy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
My heart aches for you. Such a sudden loss is so devastating and I pray that you will find comfort knowing you gave him the best care you could. I especially relate to your loss, my first beautiful Golden, Beau Joy experienced 3 bloat episodes! Not really knowing about the situation and never having a larger dog when she first displayed the vomiting them the dry heaves, I initially wasn’t too concerned. It was after, maybe 30 seconds I watched her violently wretch and although she had recently eaten her breakfast, she just dry heaved. I realized she had a full stomach and something serious must be wrong. I scooped her in my arms and drove like a maniac to my local veterinarian emergency center, all the while she is in my car profoundly agitated, pacing the back seat and continuing to dry heave. It took about 10 minutes to reach the ER and apparently a minute or two more she would have lost her life. By the time I got to the vet her abdomen and chest were drastically bloated with all the air she was unable to expel due to her stomach twisting and turning on itself. Beau was whisked off for emergency surgery and ,thank you Lord Jesus, she survived. I know the fear and anguish you feel but please don’t doubt your efforts. Minutes or seconds can mean life or death and you did what you could. Unfortunately, even after her first surgery to reposition her stomach and suture it in place she experienced 2 more episodes of bloat, both of which she remarkably survived.Sadly, cancer took her away at age 8. I found an article you might be interested in on Neuse River Golden Retriever Rescue: About Goldens-Medical Blog the title of the article is “Bloat is No Joke”. praying for you as I know you have a broken heart. Blessings
Thank you for understanding our pain and comforting us. We’re very grateful. I hope with time we’ll forgive ourselves for things we feel we couldn’t do well for our boy Dex.

·
Registered
33 Posts
rest assured that Dex knows you had nothing but love and kindness for him...there's absolutely no way you should feel bad on following all the vet's orders and recommendations. And yes, 5 is so young and losing Dex w out warning has to be very ,very tough. It's time for the family, friends and other to come together so you can all start to heal...it will take time, but it will happen...all the best, tom

·
Registered
169 Posts
It is tough to lose your best friend/companion, specially at such a young age. I am sure Dex knew how loved he was. May those joyful moments with him bring some solace in your grief.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts