Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

My boy Dexter was only 5. He left us yesterday. He was treated for bloat and some of the fluid was taken out from his belly. We brought him home post treatment. He was to go to the vet the next day too for removal of some leftover fluid. Our baby boy didn’t eat anything after coming from the vet. He kept lying in the same position from 2 PM until evening that day. We let him be because we wanted him to get rest. At around 11:30 PM Dex vomitted. We had a call with the emergency vet. We were told he may be acting lethargic because of his treatment and we should not try to feed him anything and let him rest. My dad had gone to work around 9. He had a night shift but we called him back home. Dex, who would get up every time dad returned from work, had no strength in his legs that day. We only raised his neck to acknowledge dad coming back. At around 1, Dex had a seizure and he left us. We haven’t been able to accept his loss. We don’t know if we could have saved him by immediately taking him to vet. I don’t know if Dex left us because we didn’t deserve our boy. We loved our boy deeply but we don’t know if what we did for him was enough. He loved chasing away pigeons. Seeings pigeons sitting in the balcony today, our heart ached since our boy wasn’t there to shoo them away. I just want everyone reading this post to include Dex in their prayers. Please pray for his soul to rest in peace. We may have failed in providing him the best of care but he sincerely loved him. We are praying that he is at a happy place. Please pray for our boy’s soul.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your post brought tears. I am so sorry for your loss. I am sure you deserved him and that's why he was in your life in the first place. He is happy wherever he is and is gleefully chasing pigeons. You were a good parent. Take care.

·
Registered
10 Posts
View attachment 880849
View attachment 880850
View attachment 880851 My boy Dexter was only 5. He left us yesterday. He was treated for bloat and some of the fluid was taken out from his belly. We brought him home post treatment. He was to go to the vet the next day too for removal of some leftover fluid. Our baby boy didn’t eat anything after coming from the vet. He kept lying in the same position from 2 PM until evening that day. We let him be because we wanted him to get rest. At around 11:30 PM Dex vomitted. We had a call with the emergency vet. We were told he may be acting lethargic because of his treatment and we should not try to feed him anything and let him rest. My dad had gone to work around 9. He had a night shift but we called him back home. Dex, who would get up every time dad returned from work, had no strength in his legs that day. We only raised his neck to acknowledge dad coming back. At around 1, Dex had a seizure and he left us. We haven’t been able to accept his loss. We don’t know if we could have saved him by immediately taking him to vet. I don’t know if Dex left us because we didn’t deserve our boy. We loved our boy deeply but we don’t know if what we did for him was enough. He loved chasing away pigeons. Seeings pigeons sitting in the balcony today, our heart ached since our boy wasn’t there to shoo them away. I just want everyone reading this post to include Dex in their prayers. Please pray for his soul to rest in peace. We may have failed in providing him the best of care but he sincerely loved him. We are praying that he is at a happy place. Please pray for our boy’s soul.
I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful boy. You did all you could. Don’t second guess yourself we are only human and you tried your best to help him ❤ He is watching over you over the rainbow bridge 🌈

·
Registered
3 Posts
View attachment 880849
View attachment 880850
View attachment 880851 My boy Dexter was only 5. He left us yesterday. He was treated for bloat and some of the fluid was taken out from his belly. We brought him home post treatment. He was to go to the vet the next day too for removal of some leftover fluid. Our baby boy didn’t eat anything after coming from the vet. He kept lying in the same position from 2 PM until evening that day. We let him be because we wanted him to get rest. At around 11:30 PM Dex vomitted. We had a call with the emergency vet. We were told he may be acting lethargic because of his treatment and we should not try to feed him anything and let him rest. My dad had gone to work around 9. He had a night shift but we called him back home. Dex, who would get up every time dad returned from work, had no strength in his legs that day. We only raised his neck to acknowledge dad coming back. At around 1, Dex had a seizure and he left us. We haven’t been able to accept his loss. We don’t know if we could have saved him by immediately taking him to vet. I don’t know if Dex left us because we didn’t deserve our boy. We loved our boy deeply but we don’t know if what we did for him was enough. He loved chasing away pigeons. Seeings pigeons sitting in the balcony today, our heart ached since our boy wasn’t there to shoo them away. I just want everyone reading this post to include Dex in their prayers. Please pray for his soul to rest in peace. We may have failed in providing him the best of care but he sincerely loved him. We are praying that he is at a happy place. Please pray for our boy’s soul.
Sorry about your loss, I know how you feel. I am posting this link because I know it will help you! Take care of yourself and don't beat yourself up about it. https://www.youtube.com/c/DanielleMacKinnon/videos

·
Registered
930 Posts
What a fine boy he was! You did everything that you could do to help him. Feel no blame, whatever took him was sudden and severe, you cannot know, what you do not know...! He will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge, then you will again see him and watch him run and play...

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss of sweet Dex. Try to focus your thoughts on happy times with him and not the last night.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Your Dex was such a beautiful boy. By your words, everyone can see that you loved him. I hope you can take comfort in your memories of him and the times you shared together. I'm sure he is waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Dex looked like such a sweet and handsome boy. He is right now chasing pigeons. He may not have lived a long life, but he did live a sweet one. I'm so sorry for your loss, sending prayers for you.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am so so sorry for your loss. I am just crushed for you. He was a beautiful boy that was obviously very loved. Take care, hugs.

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
Im so sorry for your loss, keeping you in my prayers.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts