Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I was walking Danny (big hound) and her on the forest service road. They raced into the woods, as usual. Except Danny came back and Bess did not. I waited --called for reinforcement with a pick-up. It got dark --she's afraid of the dark.

She is wearing a collar with my name, address, and phone from Pet ID Tags, Dog Tags, Collars, Leashes! (The vet recommended them.) I couldn't find out if she has a chip b/c there are no scanners around here. (That's how backwoods this place is.) I called LuckyPet --nobody has called them.

She went missing from Green Gap Road. If you enter these coordinates onto Google Maps, you'll see it. 35.367461,-83.730505 I made a map but can't find out how to share it. My brain isn't working very well.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Do you have a silent dog whistle you can blow as you call her name?? That worked for me in Idaho when I lost a dog in the national forest during a huge storm.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I sure hope you find her soon.

Two of my dogs went missing last week. I thought they were on the large tract of game management land behind us so was focusing there. They finally went to someone's house two days later so there is hope for your Bessie.

·
Poppy's mom
224 Posts
I'm sending some positive thoughts towards you and your Bessie. My girl also went for an unexpected expedition of her own in the woods two weeks ago. She ended up at a neighbourg's who knows her and brought her back. Dogs are clever. They find their way home. Her instinct will bring her to a safe and warm place. I'm sure she'll be back with you very soon. Christmas magic will work its way I'm sure! Hang on!

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,151 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Thank goodness you gave her a ticket home around her neck.

Golden retrievers are so friendly she'll wander up to someone who'll call you.

I have a friend from California whose dog wandered off in Utah in the Moab Mountains. He spent several days hanging around trying to find him with no success. As soon as he got home in California he got a call from some people his dog wandered up to. They were headed to California. My friend's 150 lb Great Dane mix rode all the way home .... on the front seat, the only place he'd ride LOL

Don't worry too much. There's water., she has the coat to handle the weather. Dogs have a much better sense of direction than we do. She'll turn up sooner rather than later. You'll get a call. I'll pray for her and you too.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that you find her soon.

Reactions: Marjorie

·
I ♥ my Zazoo
431 Posts
Keep us posted if she comes home, or if someone finds her and calls you.. Hoping she is safe and warm and you'll get a call really soon saying they found your baby..

·
Registered
438 Posts
me too! I couldn't imagine how you feel :(
This is why I'm too afraid to let Hayden off leash at all. I have PLENTY of area for her to run around and not come near cars! But I know once she spots a critter she will be off like a race horse! Then who knows if she could find her way back since she'd be too into what she's chasing.

All she has is tags too. Although I've been moving so much all I put on there is my phone number.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
I'm so sorry you're going through this. Just try not to panic. Another GRF member went through this with two dogs just a week or so ago, and both turned up in a day or so, only a little the worse for wear.

Holding you and Bessie in my thoughts and prayers,
Lucy

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes!!! A Christmas Miracle!!! Safe, Sound, & HOME!

I was just home from "Midnight" Mass when the phone rang. A woman's voice asked if I was Marjorie, then if I'd lost a dog named Bess! My heart stopped, I asked, "Is she alive?" She said oh yes! she was fine! So I got directions and went to get her. Turns out, the woman who called had company from Florida (not staying with her). That couple had showed up tonight with Bess and their two dogs. In my post, I said yesterday, but it was Thursday she went missing. The had picked her up Thursday --she was walking down the road(!), they pulled over, she jumped in. It seems the girl who called was the one who saw the ID on her collar, read it and called. Bless her! because otherwise Bessie would have ended up in Florida. Which would have been a lot better than the fates I was trying not to imagine.

You guys are amazing! Thank you so much for the kind words, encouragement, and advice! I'm SO HAPPY!!! Merry Christmas to each of you and your beloveds!

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Merry Christmas!!!!! :)

·
Casey and Samson's Mom
221 Posts
So glad to hear that you had a happy christmas ending to your story! give her a big hug from all of us here!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts