Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this forum Saturday night after our one remaining golden Raz had a seizure. As far as I know this was her first, although she was boarded at the vet for 3 days. We picked her up early Friday morning. Late Saturday afternoon she had a seizure. She walked over to me in the kitchen were I was cutting up chicken. S.he starting pawing at her nose and shaking her head. Then I realized her back legs were swimming and that she was having a seizure. Me and the kids sat down with her to comfort her. She was drooling, but didn't lose bladder or her bowel control. The seizure lasted for several minutes. She tried to get back up, but the back legs didn't work for a while. She didn't pace, but was tired and out of it for an hour.

I'm going to see about a thyroid test but, with her age I'm fearing a brain tumor. I just can't handle losing another golden right now. I know she's old but she really seems to be in good health, other than hearing loss

·
Keltey's Mom - Jennifer
256 Posts
I'm so sorry to read this and hope your girl has several more happy, healthy years with you. I've never had to deal with seizures so I don't have any advice for you, just wanted to let you know I hope and pray you get some answers and things work out well. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Seizures are scary, because they seem to come out of the blue, sometimes without being able to figure out "why". In our Buddy's 12-1/2 yrs, he had 3 seizures. We never could figure out the cause, and the last one was 2 years before he died. Our Vet told us they are unfortunately common, and unless he had them frequently, not to be too concerned with them. (we did notice that two out of the three seizures were shortly after applying Tick meds, don't know if that contributed or not). Sending good thoughts for Raz, and hoping everything checks out okay!

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I am glad that you have found us, despite the sad circumstances.

This thread captures a lot of our collective wisdom about dealing with canine seizures, while our individual threads often tell the story of one dog's battle with the condition: http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com.../108429-seizures-101-basic-information-3.html. These few pages are crammed with references and a lot of condensed information intended specifically to help people learn quickly when they first face seizures in a beloved dog.

Several of us have or had dogs that began having seizures late in life, so together we have a lot of experience to share and this group has always been generous in supporting one another. My sweet Charlie's seizures began when he was almost 12 and the thread describing our experiences with him is here: http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...res/85243-seizures-starting-12-years-old.html.

There is both good news and bad in a diagnosis late in a dog's life. The good news is that medications can usually control the seizures, though all of us hate the side effects. The bad news, as you note, is that often seizures starting that late in life signify an underlying brain condition that is difficult to treat, be it cancer or stroke or some other damage. However, since your gal's seizures began after time away from home, it is possible that she was exposed to some chemical or situation that triggered the seizure and that she will never have another. Until a dog has multiple seizures, it is probably premature to worry about that, though. Most vets won't prescribe medication until a dog has more than one seizure in a month, that being considered "under control." It's also worth nothing that while several of us have lost the Golden sweetheart who brought us here after seizures starting late in life, most of us had at least a year to celebrate the good days, build a lot of memories, and give our dogs the loving support they have given us during their long lives.

Don't hesitate to ask a ton of questions and please keep us posted on how you and Raz are doing. We will be here for you.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I am so sorry. That would have been a very intense thing for you and your kids to witness. You did the right thing by comforting her:)

Let's hope that it is a one off, perhaps a delayed allergy to something where she was boarded, or even stress.

Dogs feel very tired after a seizure as they have burned so much energy in that short (although seems like forever) time. It is good that she didn't have any other effects. Be aware that sometimes good and gentle dogs can become aggressive straight after a seizure out of fear of what has a happened to them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Kim & Raz.

So sorry to hear about your situation, but thrilled that you found this forum. I stumbled on here in December when my Cody had a seizure for the first time. Seizures are scary things to witness, eh? Especially when you're not sure what's causing them. The good news is that the community on this forum is amazing and truly a wonderful and caring support system.

In dealing with Cody's condition, I found that the two key components to getting through each day was having a great emotional support system, and an amazing vet team (regular vet, neurologist, and others) that I trust and believe in.

We're all keeping Raz and the rest of your family in our thoughts. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
326 Posts
So sorry to hear you are on the seizure roller coaster, but as others have said, this is a good place to be - full of experience and wisdom and warm support.

I hope you will find comfort here and that your journey with seizures will not be too difficult.

Take care,
Lyn

51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm overwhelmed with everyones responses and support. Thank you! I'm sorry I haven't written back. January was a very intense month for me too much going on in my life. I'm behind on my blog too (that's never good). We have been lucky and Raz has not experienced another seizure as of yet! We live in a small town and do not have neurological support and not a really great vet. Our dogs actually had been very healthy for most of their lives before the 2 passed away. I used to live in Denver and had a couple of great vets (Alameda East) used to be on the Discovery channel for Emergency Vets. They of course were always open and I could have taken her in on a Sat. I spoke with the vet and we documented everything. Of course it's better to get them in to see the Vet soon after a seizure to evaluate what's going on. The vet basically said not to worry unless it happens again. So I'm keeping a close eye on her. She's back to normal. She hops around like a puppy and grabs one of her toys when my daughter gets home from school! Other than that she does sleeps a lot and is still just a big lap dog!

I worry now with only 1 dog. My son and daughter fight over who gets to have her in their rooms. My son is so rough with her, she just takes it. Though he's scolded and I tell her she can get up and leave! We are going to move this summer and there is no way I can take on another dog yet. I have been seriously thinking about an adult rescue golden when the time comes, if our situation allows. I think Raz misses her her mom an sister.

51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE: It's 11:45 pm on 3/20/13. Raz has not had another seizure until today. She had her 3rd in one day 45 minutes ago. It's been a long day. After talking to the vet the last time, I knew to get her in this morning. She checked her out and drew some blood work. I heard back tonite after the second seizure. Her liver enzymes are elevated and another marker for inflammation is up suggesting the liver is inflammed. Her thyroid is .9 just slightly below normal. More than likely not due to low thyroid but showing signs of being sick the doctor thinks.

When it rains it pours. My son is having surgery Monday out of town of course. My father in law will be at home with my daughter and Raz. The vet has offered dping a two view abdominal xray to rule out Liver Cancer. Further Lab testing on thyroid (although anti seizure meds are metabolized by the liver so scratch that off the list) and medication to boost the liver function. We are moving in a couple of months and financially I can't spend a bunch more money. Son's surgery is going to cost a bunch, and I spent $700 between Raz visit and my daughters dentist today. The vet said 4 weeks of the liver meds was about $25. I want to give that a try. But after this last seizure tonite, I'm worried that she's in bad shape and I may need to have her put down. I missed the other 2 seizures today, but this last one was like she had 2 in one. I couldn't go back to sleep, from crying. She's pacing and very disoriented. She stumbled into the closet and the kids rooms, she won't let me hold her. We're now 1 hr 10 mins out and she still pretty disoriented and pacing.

Reactions: GoldensGirl

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey Kim, I just saw your story and what's going on right now. I don't know much about seizures but I just wanted to let you know I'm praying for you and Raz.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Sometimes it feels like life is attacking and it sounds like you're in one of those spaces now. I'm so sorry.

Being disoriented after multiple seizures is to be expected. From what I have read, some dogs suffer from temporary blindness after a seizure and that might contribute to how Raz is behaving. We saw this with Charlie sometimes.

There are some sources for financial aid to help with caring for pets. Here's a thread on that subject: http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...grants-financial-aid-medical-issues-vets.html. I don't know if you qualify or if you want to take this step, but just want to make you aware of this option.

Please keep us posted and ask as many questions as you like. Someone here is likely to have experience with any situation you encounter.

Hugs and prayers,
Lucy

·
Registered
326 Posts
So sorry to hear you're having such a difficult and stressful time - as Lucy says, sometimes it feels like life is conspiring against you. I do hope Raz's condition has calmed and you are feeling better able to cope with everything.

Thinking of you,

Lyn

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I'm sorry that you are going through this.
It is intensely tough.
Seizures can take up to two weeks to recover from them. It has also been noted that people do not remember their seizures so Raz is likely to be out of her body at times of extreme stress. Seizures are awful for her but just as awful for the family. I remember bursting into tears at a party as I was trying to hold everything together.
Good luck. I hope that she bounces back soon and that you have many more beautiful and joyful moments to share.

·
Registered
193 Posts
So sorry to hear about Raz. Life always seems to throw these things at us when we are least capable of coping with them.Seeing our furry friends seizuring is very frightening. I hope that you manage to get some answers soon.

51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well Raz ended up having 5 seizures in less than 24 hours. The last two were at 5am and 7am. The kids witnessed the last one. I took her to the vet in the morning and the got her stabilized. 5 seizures made a difference and the vet wanted to put her on the phenol-barbital.
Something the vet tech said on the phone that morning made me think. She said Raz wasn’t processing protein. We had just opened a new bag of Blue Wilderness Duck dog food a few days before. We’d been switching her over. I had gotten a 10 lb bag before and mixed with the previous dog food. She did fine. I was mixing more with the new bag as we were running low on the old. This is the only thing that changed in the last few days. After every seizure she did drink water and eat more food! As I thought back to the seizure in January, I remember she ate a True North nut cluster off the floor about 5 minutes before she had her seizure. That would also be high in protein!
So after no seizures at the vet we brought her home in the afternoon. She was a “drunken sailor” from the phenol-barbital. She had trouble walking and standing up. She also had two accidents in the house – very unlike her. I decided to trust my woman’s and mom’s intuition and common sense, and treat her for liver disease. She is taking an herbal supplement to support the liver from the vet, and is now on Science Diet LD (no table scraps). I can’t afford to do any further testing, but with the blood work we did and knowing what she ate when she seized I think is enough to know she has a liver problem. I do not know if she has liver cancer, but she has been healthy up to this point. I want to see how she does now that we are supporting her with the right diet. So far no more seizures. We are also taking her off the phenol-barbital. I don’t think we need her dopey for no reason. If she has another seizure we will have to put her back on it.
So today is my son’s surgery. I am turning my focus to him and praying for a quick recovery. I know he will be looking forward to seeing Raz when we get home!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.