Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Joined
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends! I am new to this forum. My name is Divya and my fur baby is Oscar, a golden retriever (little over 3 years). After a lot of arguments my husband and I decided to get Oscar neutered(hubby never wanted it). Last Friday we got him neuter and he came home fine. He was always with the cone on. Somehow the incision started to swell in just 2 days(size of an orange) so we went back to the vet and she prescribed antibiotics (amox 1000mg/enroflox 272mg) and suggested cold compress. I did that for 2 days only to realize that the incision has now grown to the size of a huge grapefruit. Yesterday, we ran to the vet and she seemed very chilled about it and asked us continue the antibiotics and gave us a follow up on Monday and was super busy planning if she would be able to perform a 2nd surgery the coming week or her colleague (like seriously? That鈥檚 the least I would want to hear. I don鈥檛 care who performs the surgery. I insisted her to brief me about what this 2nd surgery is all about but she just said that the swelling is abnormal and that Oscar is at risk if surgery was not performed ). I realized that she was putting me at a risk with her very chilled attitude but I also had no option other than calling the ER. When I called the ER they said they cannot do anything until they hear back from my vet and that since there was no rapture to the incision they advised I waited. We were up all night yesterday and our hearts cried to see our baby suffer in pain. This morning, he seemed fine, no fever, ate well. And then the boom 馃挜.. rapture! he started to bleed and how. We rushed to another ER (drove an hour) to get there. I still remember holding him while the blood dripped through the wound, something I can never forget and the guilt of making him go through this surgery was killing me on my way to the ER. We reached, they were quick to take a look at Oscar and told us that the infection has entered his scrotum and formed a puss and it would be impossible to treat it without a second surgery asap- Scrotum ablation. We would never want our baby to go through 2 surgeries in less than a week but we also had no option, so we agreed to it. The surgery went fine and Oscar had 29 stitches and finnally home with us now. ER billed us for 2500 $ but I鈥檓 happy that my baby will feel better now. This was our first time having a pet home and we had no idea about the infection after neutering older dogs. How I wish my vet had gone through a aftercare process dos/don鈥檛s. I also feel the vet should have immediately informed us the risk of infection and headed towards getting the scrotum removed. She rather seemed chilled and more focused about her weekend. We visited her twice and she kept billing us for the follow up visits too, I feel horrible that my baby had to go through this pain. I am writing this to see if there is anything I should be very careful about now that he has had his scrotum removed. ER vet advised me to keep him on the same antibiotics/pain killers that were prescribed by my vet. The stitches would be removed in 2 weeks if everything went fine. Please help me with any aftercare tips that I should be aware of. I just want to make sure I鈥檓 doing everything right without damaging the healing process. Thanks
 

Premium Member
Joined
18,674 Posts
Some swelling is normal after neuter, although this does sound severe, but the routine treatment for it is always antibiotics and compresses. The extreme size of this should have prompted the vet to do more right away though. I'm sorry your primary vet didn't act promptly to treat it.

Keep him crated, or on a leash for the full two weeks until the stitches come out. No walks, no ball playing, no jumping on furniture. That will avoid any additional complications.
 

Noreaster
Joined
2,253 Posts
Please don鈥檛 be too hard on yourself...you did everything you could have done and they should have done a better job with aftercare instructions, for sure,
You might want to find a vet that is affiliated with an emergency clinic so if something comes up in the future you might have more resources to help you.

Be sure to finish all of the antibiotics they prescribed and watch that area for redness along the incision, any discharge from the incision, or swelling. You might want to take a picture several times a day so you can compare.

If he starts acting lethargic, seems warm, vomits or has diarrhea, or starts refusing food or treats, get on the phone to the clinic ASAP.

I hope your boy feels better soon!
 

Registered
Joined
10,356 Posts
Of course there is a risk of infection. Good you kept the cone on, but you are also supposed to keep him calm and preferably crated.
 

Registered
Joined
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please don鈥檛 be too hard on yourself...you did everything you could have done and they should have done a better job with aftercare instructions, for sure,
You might want to find a vet that is affiliated with an emergency clinic so if something comes up in the future you might have more resources to help you.

Be sure to finish all of the antibiotics they prescribed and watch that area for redness along the incision, any discharge from the incision, or swelling. You might want to take a picture several times a day so you can compare.

If he starts acting lethargic, seems warm, vomits or has diarrhea, or starts refusing food or treats, get on the phone to the clinic ASAP.

I hope your boy feels better soon!
 

Registered
Joined
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sure. I am never going to go back to them ever again. He peed in his bed last night ..poor baby :( I hope accidents are normal at this point. Other than that he seems fine, had a little food and took his meds. Thank you 馃槉
 

Premium Member
Joined
18,674 Posts
Unfortunately, yes! I did ask the vet multiple times about risks or challengers after the nueter but she kept saying,鈥 he will be fine鈥. Ya right.. ugggg.
You really do need a different vet. They can say "he'll be fine", but the next statement HAS to be "and here are the after care instructions and complications to watch for."
 

the party's crashing us
Joined
4,593 Posts
I hate to say it but...it happens.
I didn't read anything you wrote that proves wrongdoing on any vet's part.
I am not downplaying your concern but they are the medical professionals and they did what is pretty standard treatment for this not terribly uncommon post-neuter complication.
Your dog will be fine. Continue to follow up with your veterinarian for stitch removal.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Prism Goldens

Registered
Joined
10,356 Posts
My daughter's Finn (Pit mix) had a scrotum the size of a large grapefruit when he was neutered. It's very normal to have swelling, especially if the dog isn't required to stay in a crate. I kinda think a neuter is a surgery, yes, but it's such a common one that most everyone has experienced and not likely to get more than a written discharge telling you to keep him calm, crated, with a cone on.
 

Registered
Joined
55 Posts
My daughter's Finn (Pit mix) had a scrotum the size of a large grapefruit when he was neutered. It's very normal to have swelling, especially if the dog isn't required to stay in a crate. I kinda think a neuter is a surgery, yes, but it's such a common one that most everyone has experienced and not likely to get more than a written discharge telling you to keep him calm, crated, with a cone on.
Some swelling is to be expected, but obviously this was abnormal in that it was excessive and caused by an infection that ultimately led to the incision rupturing; and the fact that the swelling continued to worsen should've been treated with more urgency by their practice. It is the hospital's responsibilty to provide thorough post-surgery care instructions (I have never had a surgery performed on any of my dogs whereby explicit post-surgical instructions were not provided during discharge), and it sounds like OP was unaware of the strict activity restriction required after this surgery. Even so, that might not have prevented the infection. Sometimes you do everything right, and things still go wrong...unfortunately it's the risk of surgery. I'm sorry you & Oscar had to go through this OP, I hope he has a smooth recovery from here on out.
 

Registered
Joined
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some swelling is to be expected, but obviously this was abnormal in that it was excessive and caused by an infection that ultimately led to the incision rupturing; and the fact that the swelling continued to worsen should've been treated with more urgency by their practice. It is the hospital's responsibilty to provide thorough post-surgery care instructions (I have never had a surgery performed on any of my dogs whereby explicit post-surgical instructions were not provided during discharge), and it sounds like OP was unaware of the strict activity restriction required after this surgery. Even so, that might not have prevented the infection. Sometimes you do everything right, and things still go wrong...unfortunately it's the risk of surgery. I'm sorry you & Oscar had to go through this OP, I hope he has a smooth recovery from here on out.
Some swelling is to be expected, but obviously this was abnormal in that it was excessive and caused by an infection that ultimately led to the incision rupturing; and the fact that the swelling continued to worsen should've been treated with more urgency by their practice. It is the hospital's responsibilty to provide thorough post-surgery care instructions (I have never had a surgery performed on any of my dogs whereby explicit post-surgical instructions were not provided during discharge), and it sounds like OP was unaware of the strict activity restriction required after this surgery. Even so, that might not have prevented the infection. Sometimes you do everything right, and things still go wrong...unfortunately it's the risk of surgery. I'm sorry you & Oscar had to go through this OP, I hope he has a smooth recovery from here on out.
 

Registered
Joined
31 Posts
Hi friends! I am new to this forum. My name is Divya and my fur baby is Oscar, a golden retriever (little over 3 years). After a lot of arguments my husband and I decided to get Oscar neutered(hubby never wanted it). Last Friday we got him neuter and he came home fine. He was always with the cone on. Somehow the incision started to swell in just 2 days(size of an orange) so we went back to the vet and she prescribed antibiotics (amox 1000mg/enroflox 272mg) and suggested cold compress. I did that for 2 days only to realize that the incision has now grown to the size of a huge grapefruit. Yesterday, we ran to the vet and she seemed very chilled about it and asked us continue the antibiotics and gave us a follow up on Monday and was super busy planning if she would be able to perform a 2nd surgery the coming week or her colleague (like seriously? That鈥檚 the least I would want to hear. I don鈥檛 care who performs the surgery. I insisted her to brief me about what this 2nd surgery is all about but she just said that the swelling is abnormal and that Oscar is at risk if surgery was not performed ). I realized that she was putting me at a risk with her very chilled attitude but I also had no option other than calling the ER. When I called the ER they said they cannot do anything until they hear back from my vet and that since there was no rapture to the incision they advised I waited. We were up all night yesterday and our hearts cried to see our baby suffer in pain. This morning, he seemed fine, no fever, ate well. And then the boom 馃挜.. rapture! he started to bleed and how. We rushed to another ER (drove an hour) to get there. I still remember holding him while the blood dripped through the wound, something I can never forget and the guilt of making him go through this surgery was killing me on my way to the ER. We reached, they were quick to take a look at Oscar and told us that the infection has entered his scrotum and formed a puss and it would be impossible to treat it without a second surgery asap- Scrotum ablation. We would never want our baby to go through 2 surgeries in less than a week but we also had no option, so we agreed to it. The surgery went fine and Oscar had 29 stitches and finnally home with us now. ER billed us for 2500 $ but I鈥檓 happy that my baby will feel better now. This was our first time having a pet home and we had no idea about the infection after neutering older dogs. How I wish my vet had gone through a aftercare process dos/don鈥檛s. I also feel the vet should have immediately informed us the risk of infection and headed towards getting the scrotum removed. She rather seemed chilled and more focused about her weekend. We visited her twice and she kept billing us for the follow up visits too, I feel horrible that my baby had to go through this pain. I am writing this to see if there is anything I should be very careful about now that he has had his scrotum removed. ER vet advised me to keep him on the same antibiotics/pain killers that were prescribed by my vet. The stitches would be removed in 2 weeks if everything went fine. Please help me with any aftercare tips that I should be aware of. I just want to make sure I鈥檓 doing everything right without damaging the healing process. Thanks
This doesn't answer a question you are asking, but I would switch vets immediately.
 

Noreaster
Joined
2,253 Posts
As a former LVT, we were always reassuring but we ALWAYS gave the client a printed list of instructions of what to watch for, went through it verbally, and gave the client a contact in case of question or concerns. With a younger or novice dog owner, I鈥檇 go through it twice. And this was a small practice in a rural area.

A neuter is still surgery, even though it鈥檚 external to the muscle layers. This vet鈥榮 intention may have been to try to allay fears about the procedure, but IMO, she underinformed.
 

Registered
Joined
3 Posts
Hi friends! I am new to this forum. My name is Divya and my fur baby is Oscar, a golden retriever (little over 3 years). After a lot of arguments my husband and I decided to get Oscar neutered(hubby never wanted it). Last Friday we got him neuter and he came home fine. He was always with the cone on. Somehow the incision started to swell in just 2 days(size of an orange) so we went back to the vet and she prescribed antibiotics (amox 1000mg/enroflox 272mg) and suggested cold compress. I did that for 2 days only to realize that the incision has now grown to the size of a huge grapefruit. Yesterday, we ran to the vet and she seemed very chilled about it and asked us continue the antibiotics and gave us a follow up on Monday and was super busy planning if she would be able to perform a 2nd surgery the coming week or her colleague (like seriously? That鈥檚 the least I would want to hear. I don鈥檛 care who performs the surgery. I insisted her to brief me about what this 2nd surgery is all about but she just said that the swelling is abnormal and that Oscar is at risk if surgery was not performed ). I realized that she was putting me at a risk with her very chilled attitude but I also had no option other than calling the ER. When I called the ER they said they cannot do anything until they hear back from my vet and that since there was no rapture to the incision they advised I waited. We were up all night yesterday and our hearts cried to see our baby suffer in pain. This morning, he seemed fine, no fever, ate well. And then the boom 馃挜.. rapture! he started to bleed and how. We rushed to another ER (drove an hour) to get there. I still remember holding him while the blood dripped through the wound, something I can never forget and the guilt of making him go through this surgery was killing me on my way to the ER. We reached, they were quick to take a look at Oscar and told us that the infection has entered his scrotum and formed a puss and it would be impossible to treat it without a second surgery asap- Scrotum ablation. We would never want our baby to go through 2 surgeries in less than a week but we also had no option, so we agreed to it. The surgery went fine and Oscar had 29 stitches and finnally home with us now. ER billed us for 2500 $ but I鈥檓 happy that my baby will feel better now. This was our first time having a pet home and we had no idea about the infection after neutering older dogs. How I wish my vet had gone through a aftercare process dos/don鈥檛s. I also feel the vet should have immediately informed us the risk of infection and headed towards getting the scrotum removed. She rather seemed chilled and more focused about her weekend. We visited her twice and she kept billing us for the follow up visits too, I feel horrible that my baby had to go through this pain. I am writing this to see if there is anything I should be very careful about now that he has had his scrotum removed. ER vet advised me to keep him on the same antibiotics/pain killers that were prescribed by my vet. The stitches would be removed in 2 weeks if everything went fine. Please help me with any aftercare tips that I should be aware of. I just want to make sure I鈥檓 doing everything right without damaging the healing process. Thanks
Get a new Vet!
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top