Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 251 Posts

·
Rest in peace my babies
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In March of last year, we lost our girl Casey to a brain tumor. It was sudden and quick. She showed no signs of it until she had a seizure. We had to put her down a week later. A couple of weeks ago, My Dakota started limping. The Vet did some bloodwork and it was perfect. He prescribed Ramidyl. We went back a week later. The Vet was not happy with the way it looked, so he took an xray. It showed bone cancer. I am beside myself. I cannot believe we are going to lose him too! This is not fair.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
I am so, so sorry for your loss and for the bad news. I am praying for your Dakota boy.

·
Rest in peace my babies
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I was reading some posts about cancer. There seems to be so much info on here. I was reading one about going grain free. Is this something that can possibly slow the cancer down?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that. To have two goldens with with cancer in one year is so hard. We lost our Dakota (she was a girl though) from cancer in September. I am so sorry to hear about this tragic time for you.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I am so sorry. Sending you and your boy much strength.

Reactions: newlife64

·
Premium Member
18,453 Posts
Has you vet given you any treatment options, is amputation a possibility?

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I'm very sorry for you for your dog's diagnosis. I hope your vet will give you some treatment options. I'm not familiar with bone cancer (osteosarcoma perhaps?), but do remember in some other research there are some clinical trials in progress for osteosarcoma. I believe they are posted elsewhere in this section of the forum. It might be worth checking out.

How old is Dakota? Can you post a photo here?

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Such sad news- I am really sorry. There is good evidence high protein diets "starve" cancer, and esther c might fool cancer to some degree. With bone cancer, really fight for a fentanyl patch while you are researching, as it can be painful and goldens are stoic. Ask your vet to do a lung xray/scan/

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
This is heartbreaking. My prayers are with you.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
I am so very sorry.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Newlife

NewLife

Has the vet given you any treatment options. Is amputation a possibility?
We are here for you.
Will be praying!

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I just wanted to say that I am terribly sorry to hear about this diagnosis. The only thing that I can think of that may help prolong/give a better quality life would be amputation depending on if/how far the cancer has spread. Also consider your dog's age and if he can handle the loss of a limb.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about"your boy". Hopefully you will find some help on the boards, to deal with his bone cancer. Sending my best thoughts to you both.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I am so sorry with what you are going through.

I have heard successes in battling cancer with diet. I have a friend who had a cancer dog, the vet gave her 2 weeks. She put him on a special diet (not sure just grain free) and got a few months out of him. So maybe the diet bought her time.

Bone cancer is not nice and I feel horrible for you and your dog going through it. I lost my Maxine to it 2 years ago. We did no heroics to sustain her life, just made sure the time she had left was comfortable. From diagnosis it was about 3 1/2 months.

Give your dog a great big hug from me.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I'm sorry to read about your baby's diagnosis. I hope it was caught early enough for long-term treatment like amputation. Also, are you anywhere near a major university veterinary hospital? The latest treatments can generally be found in such facilities. My thoughts are with you.

1 - 20 of 251 Posts