Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Monday was my last day with my baby, Duncan (he was 14 and 2/3). He died in his bed where we both slept next to each other. He was always within arms length so I could pet him if I awakened in the night. He was unable to get up by himself and needed assistance walking the last 3 months and I had just looked into getting him a doggie wheelchair. He ate his dinner that night which was a good canned food and I gave him some pasta with chicken broth which he loves. He was hungry. He peed and pooped outside and went to sleep. He did not seem in pain but was very tired. I awoke at 3:00 am and helped him turn over and went back to sleep. When I awoke again at 7:00 he was gone. The pain of his going was so deep I was tempted to follow him.

I am still in shock and feel an unbelievable emptiness in my home. He was my best friend, soulmate, child, family. He has kept me company as I care for my mother who is also very old (98) and has terminal health problems. I knew the pain would be coming but when it does it really wipes you off your feet.

I know only others who are suffering this loss understand.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I am so glad your boy went so peacefully, but I sure know how much you hurt.
many hugs to you during this sad time. I hope you soon can remember the good times iwth less grief.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Thinking of you at this very sad time on the loss of your angel. Myself and my family are currently going through the same pain as you and know exactly how you are feeling. Our house is so empty and quiet now. We lost our little angel Daisy aged 3 on 7th Jan (new member devastated thread).

Your golden had a lovely life, 14 is a wonderful age and you will have lots of lovely memories to look back on

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad he didn't suffer and went peacefully.

I wish the best to you and your mother.

I hope in time, when you are ready, you get to have another wonderful Golden to love and to love you. (((((hugs)))))

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
My condolences on the loss of your boy. Sending you much strength.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
MomofDuncan

MomofDuncan

I am oh so very sorry to read about Duncan, but I can't think of a better way for Duncan to cross to the Rainbow Bridge, than with you. God Bless him.
I hope that you will stay around this forum and let us comfort and support to you.
I know the EMPTINESS.

Reactions: momofduncan

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss but what a lovely way to go had a good meal and lots of love and to go in his sleep something i have always wished for instead of having to make the decision for them

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
My condolences to you for your great loss. I hope my older golden goes that way; being loved and cared for to the very, very end. I am sorry the pain is with you now but hope one day it will lesson with the memories of your happiness together. Hugs, K

Reactions: Mac'sdad

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
So very sorry for your loss... Please make yourself home on this forum and share pictures and memories of your boy when you are ready.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
I am very sorry for your loss of Duncan. I know it does not bring much comfort but at least it was peaceful departure. There is no way to prepare for such a great loss.
8 months past since my Buddy left me and still there are times when I ask why I am still here and wish I was gone that same day.
I am truly sorry. I understand how you feel.
Rest in peace sweet Duncan.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Momofduncan, Don't even consider following your dog! He would NOT want that. He wants you to get another dog and do for it what you did for Duncan. That's what dogs want, they want their own to live with loving, caring humans.

You see, my wife just announced 10 minutes ago that we are getting a dog as soon as possible because our house is too quiet and empty. And my dog Daisy just died at 4:30 today. So you too must fill that empty house with a new dog, and I bet ya $100 that you all will live happily ever after.. Take care

·
Registered
320 Posts
I am so sorry you lost your friend, what a peaceful way for him to go, I hope you will find a home here with us and share your stories and pictures and grief, the people here really do understand the deep pain you are experiencing and are always willing to listen, sending big hugs and prayers your way!

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I'm so sorry for the loss of Duncan. 14 years is a long life, but that doesn't make it any easier to loose him. I am glad that Duncan left this world in his sleep, by your side. I understand your feeling of wanting to follow, it is a feeling that many of us have experienced in loosing our golden kids. The heartbreak is so difficult to endure. But, I definitely agree that Duncan would not want you to join him now. It isn't your time yet. You will see him again.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss but what a lovely way to go had a good meal and lots of love and to go in his sleep something i have always wished for instead of having to make the decision for them

Maggie has summed everything up - I know it is a shock for you, but a beautiful way for your boy to go to the bridge. He will always watch over you and walk with you because he is nestled in the one place that will always be his - in your heart

Run free and sleep softly Duncan

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. It should be comforting to know he went so peacefully and with so much love.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you everyone who replied to my post and my condolences to my Golden friends who are suffering their loss. It has been a month and I still feel the pain and emptiness every day. Especially first thing when I wake up when the realization hits me anew and when I go to my bed without my best friend next to me and I have to sleep with the TV ob to take my mind from the dark thoughts.

If heaven holds a reunion with my best friend then when death comes it will not be as fearful.

Wishing all who are grieving their loss that peace will come to them.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Momofduncan

Momofduncan

I know your pain. Praying that you will be able to love, again, I know that Duncan would want you to be happy.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My little guy has been gone since September 2011, I still miss him, and I still look for him to pop his head up in the window when I pull in the driveway.. I feel your pain.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,598 Posts
I am so sorry for the loss of Duncan and the loss and pain you're experiencing. The day will come when you will eventually be able to smile when you think of him, it takes time but it eventually will come.

My thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts