Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my 8 week male golden goes outside when I try to take him to pee or poo every 30 minutes or so, he eats the grass and picks up dirt and sometimes eats it. I try to pull it out of his mouth most of the time but I can't get all of it.. randomly he has picked up rocks in my backyard and I had got it out of his mouth. I ended up putting his pen in the backyard to poo or pee in there so he cant get access to rocks but he will wine and cry ... he recently pooped inside twice since we introduced the outside pen to poop but now we don’t think it is working so we aren’t using the pen anymore .... any thoughts on this behaviour and when it would end?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
One basic rule I use from day one with my new pups, as I crate train them is when I take the outside they are always on my 6' lead. I take them directly to their 'Outside' spot and stop and wait till they do their business. Also, using the same spot leaves a lot so 'smell' which actually stimulates them to go... At the beginning, they would pull and fuss, but in time they learn, when we stop and I command 'Outside' this is their place to pee and pooh, so they do it right away. This training pays off in dividends as when we travel I can take them outside and they go right away, anywhere we may be at the time.

As for the picking everything up and trying to eat it...that's how baby pups explore the world, same as human babies! And you have to constantly pull the stones/ dirt/ bugs, etc. out of the mouth including as much dirt as possible. Watch out for toad stools and the like, they can kill a pup quick! I wear leather gloves during this 'land shark' puppy phase! I also give the commands 'No' 'drop', and in time they learn to not pick it up or to drop it if you say so...but it takes time and consistency to get this properly trained, but start on day one!

Enjoy each day as they are pups for a very short time...and Good Luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts