Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked up Payton today and other than a 2 hour romp outside this afternoon, she has slept almost non stop. When she wakes up we take her outside and she goes potty. She chases a few leaves or chews on a stick for about 5 minutes. We take her inside and she's asleep again.

I know there are worse things, but I'm starting to get worried. It's almost like she's been drugged!:confused:

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Puppies do sleep a lot. Enjoy it, catch up on your ZzzzZZzzz's too! She'll be nipping at your heels in no time. As long as she isn't lethargic to the point that she doesn't want to be handled, play while awake, or eat.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I bet she's just a VERY tired girl right now!

Let her sleep it off!!!! If you force her to stay awake and play, it can actually make her nervous and jittery. And when she goes to sleep, take the opportunity to put her in her crate so she starts getting use to it. And um, pictures?

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I second the crate thing. Anything to help out with her getting used to the thing.

Puppies sleep a lot. You'll miss it when they get older. ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
When we picked Toby up he slept for the 2hr ride home when we got him home he played for about 1/2hr and then slept almost the rest of the day ... next day he was a lot more lively.. very cute puppy :)

·
Sophie's Mommy
197 Posts
yeah, i think it's just been a stressful day for her and a lot of excitement...she'll probably be jumping around in no time! i got like 2 hours of sleep the night we took sophie home, so hopefully payton will sleep through the night so you can rest :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. She has been in her crate most of the time. She goes in there all on her own.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
She is young and babies sleep alot. Do you have a vet appointment to get her checked out?

·
16,000 Posts
This is a HUGE day for a new puppy! She's exhausted...

Puppies are like this, anyway - they will have bursts of energy, and use every last smidgeon of it, then crash... Only to start all over again after a good nap!

Payton IS normal! :D

677 Posts
I second all of the above comments. The first day or so at their new home is very stressful, and many puppies deal with that either by sleeping or being CRAZY. Lucky you, who got the sleepy pup! Use the time to prepare for the next stage...

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
Payton is perfectly normal!!! I remember when we got Bailey I was disappointed at how much she slept - because all I wanted to do was play with her...but she was a baby and needed her rest :) (ESPECIALLY during the adjustment period!) A plus to this is that she is still small enough that you can just scoop her up in your arms and let her snooze away...enjoy it now because it won't last long!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We have an appointment with the vet Monday AM.

Well apparently I spoke too soon. She's been up every 4 hours to potty and as soon as she's done it's major play time. I've been putting her back in her kennel and laying next to it till she goes to sleep or calms down. But at 5 AM she didn't want back in the kennel - she wanted to play. So we are up and she is playing like a "normal" puppy.

Thanks to everyone for the support!

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Just now seeing this, glad to hear she's being more playful now! What an adorable puppy. Be sure to take lots of photos, they grow so very fast.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts