Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to this page and I wanted to ask if anyone had an advice on what I can do. My seven month Golden retriever female puppy Is having issues with listening and minding me. When I tell her not to do something she gets almost a tunnel vision and I can't get her to listen.I have chickens that I raise also. I also have another dog which is a boy golden retriever that is 7 months old his name is Leroy. Him and Lucy came from the same litter of puppies I bought 2 of them because no one wanted him and he has turned out to be in awesome dog he listens well I don't have any issues with him and I don't know what to do with my female Lucy to get her to listen. I recently had her fixed So I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant. I can't get my male dog fixed until hes 11 months old from what the vet told me. It doesn't seem to have done anything to calm her down she has a very high energy and I am just wondering if anyone has any advice for me and what I can do Get her to mind me more She has tried to kill a couple of my chickens and I have baby chickens that have recently hatched out a couple months ago and she just tried to kill them and I can't get her to stop to listen to me. I love my dog very much' both of them and I want to be able to have a very happy life with her and my chickens. Please someone let me know if you have any ideas or advice .Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Hi! Welcome to the forum. Seven months old is typical pre-teen / teenage times for Goldens when they start testing boundaries re: obedience and what not. The usual recommendation I've seen over the years, is you double down and go back to the basics. If your dog cannot be trusted off leash around your chickens, eliminate her access to them. If they are free ranged, tether her to you when you are outside. If she is a bite risk, train her to wear a basket muzzle so she cannot harm them in the event she does go after them. Work on rewarding all the good behaviors she offers. Usually you get creative around this stage to make sure training stays fun. Obedience games are fantastic tools.

Dogs will repeat what they find rewarding. So you remove that incentive (aka set them up for success). If a dog is counter surfing, you start by eliminating access to things on the countertops that they could reward themselves with, then work on eliminating the reward of even checking the counter tops, (if that makes sense, usually it's foil or some aversive that discourages jumping up there).

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Your pup is a baby and you may be expecting way to much! Some dogs are just naturally more low key and attentive to the owner, and some others are not. Golden's typically do not really start to show maturity until after 2 years, but that does not mean they cannot be trained, they can be, and should be, but it takes time, consistency, and patients...

Remember all dogs are different and they are 'bird dogs' and they may have a 'prey drive' that makes your chickens pure fun for them....do protect the chickens or they may not survive the puppyhood!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts