Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My heart is heavy as I write this because our family's 6 year old golden retriever, Kylie, just died tonight very unexpectedly. This is the 3rd loss of a golden we've had in the time span of 6 years. The first two were 3 years old when they died and went because of small kidney failure but Kylie was an extremely healthy dog and we are in total shock and want to know the cause of her death to help us have closure and comfort us.

Tonight, she was acting like her normal self and being around the family. She ran after my daughter who went downstairs and then came back up into the kitchen acting very hyper when she started having seizure like body movements. She fell on the floor and continued to have seizure-like body movements until she died. This all happened in less than a minute. We have done some reading on this forum and some people's stories sounded very similar to ours and the cause of death for their dog was most likely congenital heart problems with a blood clot that went to the brain/heart.

If anyone knows what this could be, please share. Our family is in a lot of shock and we just feel the need to find out what exactly happened to our baby girl. Any information would be appreciated.

·
Kate
21,428 Posts
I'm very sorry....

Is there a chance you can take her to your vet and have a necropsy done - asap while they still can? I only ask because knowing "why" can sometimes take some of the agony away. And there are other things - like if she got into something which caused her to have seizures.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel like she didn't get into anything because she was inside the house all the time except for when she went outside to go to the bathroom. We have looked into getting a necropsy done but it costs over $100 and there isn't a guarantee that we would know what happened to her.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I'm so terribly sorry. This happened to one of my boys sisters and we suspect to another too, they were three years old and the vet gave a similar opinion as yours. It's a huge loss and for you to have lost three in six years is unimaginable and my heart goes out to you all.
Run free sweet girl and play hard. Thinking of you x

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Reactions: selawless

·
Registered
17,800 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

·
Golden Lover
440 Posts
So very sorry for your loss of your sweet Kylie. It is heartbreaking to lose such a young dog and your family has been through so many losses in a span of only 6 yrs.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

·
Karen
986 Posts
I'm so very sorry to read of the loss of your sweet Kylie. It is so sudden. My prayers for comfort go out to you and your family.

·
Registered
12,921 Posts
I am so, so sorry. That must have been so devastating for your family. Has your vet been able to give you any theories about what happened? The not knowing would be so hard for me. I'd do the necropsy just for the possibility of an answer. Again, I'm so sorry.

Reactions: selawless and Jud

·
Registered
730 Posts
My heart is heavy as I write this because our family's 6 year old golden retriever, Kylie, just died tonight very unexpectedly. This is the 3rd loss of a golden we've had in the time span of 6 years. The first two were 3 years old when they died and went because of small kidney failure but Kylie was an extremely healthy dog and we are in total shock and want to know the cause of her death to help us have closure and comfort us.

Tonight, she was acting like her normal self and being around the family. She ran after my daughter who went downstairs and then came back up into the kitchen acting very hyper when she started having seizure like body movements. She fell on the floor and continued to have seizure-like body movements until she died. This all happened in less than a minute. We have done some reading on this forum and some people's stories sounded very similar to ours and the cause of death for their dog was most likely congenital heart problems with a blood clot that went to the brain/heart.

If anyone knows what this could be, please share. Our family is in a lot of shock and we just feel the need to find out what exactly happened to our baby girl. Any information would be appreciated.
I can't tell you how sorry I am. If you got her from a breeder, maybe they have the health reports of the parents that you can look at to see if it was a genetic
disorder? Thoughts are with you

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Sorry for your loss, it is just heartbreaking to loose your beloved pet at such a young age and so suddenly. I know what you're going through.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I'm very sorry....

Is there a chance you can take her to your vet and have a necropsy done - asap while they still can? I only ask because knowing "why" can sometimes take some of the agony away. And there are other things - like if she got into something which caused her to have seizures.

First, my heartfelt sympathy in the loss of your Kylie. Six is too young. I agree with Megora's post on requesting a necropsy. While answers cannot bring your girl back, it does help to understand what could have happened.

I lost my second golden MacGyver at the age of 7. A perfectly healthy, very rambunctious boy who died suddenly before my very eyes while we were out in the yard. A Friday night, we had taken a walk and afterwards he played in the yard while I was doing yardwork. I would occasionally kick the ball for him and he would run to retrieve it. I saw lying down and walked over expecting him to jump up -- he was dead. This was 20+ years ago and I never requested anything in writing, but my vet came to pick up the body and I requested a necropsy. I remember him saying death was heart related and he said when he saw the heart it was very large, I asked if it was an enlarged heart, if I missed symptoms etc and he said it was not an enlarged heart and that this was not something I could have known. Knowing what I know now, I believe it was hemangiosarcoma of the heart.

Death is never easy, but not knowing adds to the grief. It takes time.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm very sorry....

Oh so very sorry for your loss. I agree with Megora, if onlys are so very hard to live with. The necropsy may or may not reveal answers but will you will always wonder if you don't. This is just an awful awful situation to be in, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

·
Registered
263 Posts
So sorry for your loss that is terrible.

We just lost a our Riley in June so I am paranoid of everything with his 6 yr old brother.

Could she have gotten something in the house like chocolate, coffee, gum, artificial sweetener, these things could make them hyper and have a seizure?
Also cleaners or yard chemicals.

So very sorry.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts