Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 6-month old puppy on Hills Science Diet puppy kibble and she's always been a nibbler - it will take several hours for her to finish a meal. She recently ate something in the yard that didn't agree with her - the vet gave me canned prescription food and some meds to resolve her tummy issues. It's been a few days, she's recovered and I'm now mixing the RX wet food with her previous Hills puppy kibble and she gobbles it down like it's the best thing ever.

I love my puppy (don't we all?) and want her to enjoy her food - as long as it's high quality, safe and nutritious. How many of you mix wet food with kibble? And if you do use wet, what brands? (Using prescription Hills canned food is crazy expensive...I have to switch to something less expensive if I continue.) Would love your thoughts - thank you so much!

·
Super Moderator Leader
46,350 Posts
I am not a fan of canned food, I think it contains too many unnecessary calories and you may have problems with your pup/dog eating their dry food.

It may be possible your pup doesn't like the HS food you've been feeding-there are a lot of members feeding Purina Pro Plan puppy food-Large Breed formula or Eukanuba puppy food.
I wouldn't feed a grain free formula though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
We often put a bit of canned food on top of the kibble and then added water to mix it all around and make a sort of gravy, and it seemed to work just fine. This was probably more me thinking my pup needed it as he was also fine with just his kibble, as my boy was not overly picky.

Another idea you may want to consider is trying another food to see if your pop likes it more. There are many high quality puppy kibbles available. We used Purina Pro Plan large breed puppy, and I know that many others have posted on this forum with good results with a lot of other puppy foods that worked well for them.

Good luck.

·
Registered
253 Posts
We mix dry and canned Purina Puppy Chow, Large Breed for our puppy. He is now 12 weeks, we will slowly mix more dry until he gets to 100% dry, we prefer dry food!

·
Confused Member
489 Posts
Well of course, he’s excited about canned food! Who wouldn’t be... just don’t give him a choice!!! He’ll eat the dry when he’s hungry enough..

One thing to learn is that Goldens are con men.. they will try to play you. And sometimes you know they are trying to play you, but you give in anyway... just look at those faces!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,622 Posts
I don't use wet foods from a can as they are 90% of the time unbalanced nutrition. Can food is 78% water or more (I've seen 83%) So a can food at 78% moisture and showing 10% Protein equals 45.45% protein on a Dry Matter Basis (DMB). That is an insane amount of protein on a cooked food (different for raw food). In order to be in the recommended range of protein (15-30%) you need a can that is 78% moisture to be around 4-6% Protein. That will equal 18.18-27.27%

Dry food doesn't move the needle much as it's usually only 10% moisture. In a dry food at 10% water and 25% Protein only moves the protein to 27%. So you should always look at foods on a DMB to compare apples to apples.

Here is a DMB calculator online plus the equation if you want to do it yourself

·
Registered
253 Posts
I currently mix Purina Puppy Chow Large Dogs canned and kibble, mix about half and half. We are transitioning our 15 week old Golden to all kibble. He loves both, but the canned has so much water that he always gets lose stools. The dry mix improved his bowels, but I want to use up the few cans we have left!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts