Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a yorkieshire 2 chihuahuas and a 5 month old pitbull. We brought Sandy our GR into our family 2 months ago. A friends if mines couldn't keep get so I decided to take her because I already knew she was a good dog to begin with and knew them both. The problem is that she has become aggressive with my Yorkie she growls at her even tries to bite her whenever she comes near me and at the beginning she was ok with them but now my yorkie also tries to fight back and that makes it worse. I do see that they are both jealous and want my attention but also Sandy gets aggressive whenever my pitbull starts to pick on my.yorkie cause he's too playful! I wish they would get along especially because she's very small next to Sandy and i'm afraid she might end up hurt. A friend of mines advices me to get Sandy a muzzle should I or not?? If anyone can give me advice I really would appreciate it Thank you!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I would have her thyroid checked, just to be sure that there isn't an issue there. Then you need to work on not allowing any of your dogs to "guard" you. You also need to be aware that female on female aggression in dogs can occur and it can be bad. Females tend to hold a grudge. I would seriously suggest that you get a trainer to come in and observe the interactions between all of the dogs. There may be some things that you are missing or interpreting incorrectly, and that could be causing the fights to escalate.

·
Reyna 1997 to 2004
2,720 Posts
You need to reinforce the fact that YOU are in charge. Don't put up with any posturing. If she even looks like she's about to become aggressive, correct her. Let her know that this kind of behavior is not allowed in your home. Supervise all of their interactions and kennel her when you can't be there. Be sure to reward her for positive interactions with the other dogs.

Have a trainer come into your home and show you the best way to respond.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you all so much for your replies i will keep a closer eye on them. good thing is they get along fine when my pitbull isn't around she treats him like a baby it all starts when the pitbull starts to irritate my yorkie,my yorkie then gets mad starts to nipp and bark then my Golden retriever Sandy starts growling at my yorkie and also when my yorkie tries to get close to me whenever Sandy is around she will growl. i will keep correcting her thanks all!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts