Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. OMG. Never again.
Ok well maybe again, maybe next week.
Karma has allergies and has a strict bathing schedule that is weekly.
It's vitally important( says prior owners)to start with the regular dog shampoo, then move onto a prescription allergy shampoo which sits for ten minutes, then a prescription creme rinse which also sits for ten minutes while she has 'selsun blue' in between her toes( major yeast in the deep recesses of pads.....All this is from thousands spent by the prior owners to have her tested at a well respected dog dermatology center here in los angeles.
OK! So that being said; weekly baths necessary, back breaking work, not enough room for me to get around her in the tub, slippery, bathroom soaking wet,( Karma was a gem though) I have to find another way.
Our new vet charges $45 for a bath, and almost $200 a month is going to be hard.
My husband says he will do it with me next week before we do anything rash and commit to getting her bathed by pros's weekly, but I see failure in that future bathing,k the bathroom is small, I am large, the dog is pretty big too.....and I cant find any 'do-it-yourself- doggie baths' out here like I saw a lot of in Portland, where we recently moved from.
What to do?
anyone in the Thousand Oaks/Westlake Village/Agoura Hills have any recommendations?
Oh, and i dont have the space in my tiny yard to buy a grooming tub/bath/thingy.
Thanks for any ideas!!!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I don't envy you having to keep up with that shampooing regime. On the rare occasion when I bathe my boys I just get right in the tub/shower with them and close the door. I have a handheld shower attachment that makes it go pretty painlessly.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I sit on the edge of the tub and have my puppers between my legs. That way I can swing a foot up to the wall on either end if they try to escape.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
you will get a hand of this.No worries! Get a shower head attachment in Lowe's Or Home depot. I get in the tab with Honey,that way i can get her everywhere.Good luck.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
I also get in the tub with them, it's a major task here as I do all four at one time. It gets easier. You'll find a way to make it easy on you, the handheld shower is a very good tool.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Claudia, I'll never get over being amazed that you do all 4 at once. I do 2 and am ready to crash.

Karma's Friend, what is your garage situation? It may be cheaper in the long run to have a water line and drain run to a raised tub in the garage. That way you don't have to bend over the whole time to wash Karma.

While I don't want to argue with what apparently works for Karma, it does seem odd to me that they settled on two shampoos rather than just the medicated shampoo followed by the conditioner. I'm no vet dermatologist, though!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yep I get right in the shower too.... I shower him then I shower and he waits very patiently on the towel I lay out...then he gets his favorite part.. the towel rub down!!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I would try in the shower -- wash my hair, shave legs, etc while waiting the 10 minutes.

our lab will only due the tub - what a back killer. The hand held helps alot.

we put in outdoor hot water to aleviate this -- works for the goldies, but not the lab - gotta be tub.

·
Registered
423 Posts
we dont have a tub at home...i bathe dulce outside...on a long armed chair...she sits or stand on the chair and i scrub her all over...shes on a medicated shampoo too twice a week....i used the handheld shower but its still back breaking.....giving her a bath is tolerable...what i cant tolerate is drying her....it really hurts my arms to dry her using 3 towels and then later on blow dry her which shes scared of the hair dryer by the way....

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
do you have a basement with a drain? a plastic pond or childrens pool with hand held shower may work. i am so very fortunate my groomer charges 15.00 per dog for shampoo, blow dry, toenail clipping and trimming fur around feet.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I got a handheld shower sprayer for my dogs. Beau cant climb into the tub anymore and now it is easy for him to just walk in in the shower. Plus I can close the door and if they shake it goes right on the walls no mess to clean up. Just spay the shower walls to get the suds off with the handheld. I get in my bathing suit and sit on the floor and dont have to worry about bending over.

·
3 goldens
11,697 Posts
Goodness, I remember when we had our duck dog, Scooter and would bath him EVERY TIME WE HUNTED, which might be once or twice a week, sometimes 5 or 6 times a week. Where we hunted was smelling black mud in the back lagoon. He would have the salt water, pus the smelly mud. No way around giving him a bath every time. I woud cover the bathroom floor with towels. What a choir it was getting him insed off and dried. I ha to do a load o towels egvery tme we hunted.

Strange, that he was in the cold water retrieving, but we always put him in the tub for a warm bath when we got home, never hosed him off outside. He died of heart attack at 5, but I would have continued with those bahts and not complained one iota if we could have have had him back for a lot more years.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Lucky for us Neo loves to take a bath so bathing him is pretty easy. We just take down the hand held shower sprayer and bath him that way. It will take both Chris and I to try him. We tag team him with two blow dryers and get it done that way. You can get the hand held shower heads for pretty cheap at the Lowes, Home Depot, or even Walmart.

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
You could get a "Booster Tub" and set it in the garage if you have some way to heat it. You can get an adapter kit that connects to the water supply for your washer and have warm water that way.

·
Maryland
2,806 Posts
Get a hose attachment to your kitchen sink faucet. Take the dog and the hose OUTSIDE and bathe in luke warm water. (Garage would be good if you have one) Stand the dog on the picnic table if you have one. If your driveway is concrete or asphalt, well and good, if it's dirt or gravel, stand the dog on a tarp or in a kiddie pool.

Make sure you buy yourself a complete rain suit (jacket and pants) and put on waterproof shoes or boots.

Before going out have all shampoo diluted in a gallon jug. Same for conditioner (I only use conditioner on feathers....butt and front legs. If it's commercial shampoo, you can dilute 10 (water) to 1 (shampoo). All groomers dilute...it makes it so much easier to rinse out.

Make sure you rinse rinse rinse and rinse again.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Wow. That's VERY inexpensive!

Around here the typical bath/groom/nails/etc... for a Golden is around $70.

do you have a basement with a drain? a plastic pond or childrens pool with hand held shower may work. i am so very fortunate my groomer charges 15.00 per dog for shampoo, blow dry, toenail clipping and trimming fur around feet.

·
2,472 Posts
on the rare occasion that Pud needs a shampoo-bath, it goes like this:

1) throw frisbee in river
2) Pud retrieves frisbee (pre-soak)
3) shampoo with mama's biodegradeable body soap (soap cycle)
4) throw frisbee in river
5) Pud retrieves - (rinse cycle)
6) repeat if needed
7) Pud shakes herself (spin cycle)

·
Griff's a Muffin Thief!
3,165 Posts
Hmm - maybe try giving him a bucket of water to drink and amuse himself with while you are bathing him?

My Jake was a bit of a booger about bathing - otherwise he was a real mellow Golden.

Griff, my wilder child LOVES the bath and will just stand there - it amazes me that he's soooo good. He's always trying to get to the tub when my son is in it and drinks as much water as I let him.

Lots of praises while you're washing and drying and a biscuit afterwards always helps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts