Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My female golden retriever who weighs about 12-13 pounds just ate a pair of women’s underwear (a thong). It’s late at night.. what should I do? She’s pretty small and I’m not even sure how she was able to swallow. Does anyone have experience with this? Any advice? Thank you in advance

·
Super Moderator
653 Posts
This could go very poorly or very well... keep a very close eye on her and make sure you have an emergency vet ready to go to. Any sign of obstruction or lethargy, I would go immediately.

edit: I want to add, if it were me, I would go in and do radiographs, see the size and talk to my vet about the options. Unfortunately, fabric will not be super visible via x Ray. But this could end up becoming a serious medical emergency.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hope your pup is okay. My uncle's dog ate a sock once and had to have surgery to remove it. Although a sock is much thicker than a thong. Try calling a 24hr vet if you have one?

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
I'd pop over to the vet ASAP and get them to induce vomiting, its been a couple of hours since your post, sometimes it hasn't gone down yet, although my vet told me the guideline is 2 hours within ingestion for inducing at the vet.

To be safe you'd probably want them to check it out at the vet.. sometimes it passes through, other times it can cause a serious obstruction. a thong is pretty sizeable for a dog below 15lbs and I rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got her ultrasound results back... it’s stuck going into her intestines and she needs surgery

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,281 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this, sending good thoughts the surgery goes well and wishing her a speedy recovery.

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
Wishing her a safe surgery & speedy recovery! Thank goodness you brought her in quick before the obstruction caused issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I hope she is back home and recovering well. Keep in mind, they learn nothing from these experiences and will again eat underwear, socks, or anything they can get their mouths on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My female golden retriever who weighs about 12-13 pounds just ate a pair of women’s underwear (a thong). It’s late at night.. what should I do? She’s pretty small and I’m not even sure how she was able to swallow. Does anyone have experience with this? Any advice? Thank you in advance
My advice is stop wearing undies. Things provide nothing other than esthetics for you young and fit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts