Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! My puppy is 10 weeks old and starting to show some aggression. When we pick her up to take her away from something bad she is doing (eating sticks/leaves/etc) she growls at us and sometimes tries to bite us. How do we stop this now while she is a puppy so it doesnt get worse when she gets older?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Were you able to look at the link that Brave linked in your post from the other day? It shows you how to teach a Leave It command so your pup will leave and move on from things you don’t want them to sniff/get near/pick up. A number of other people mentioned keeping your pup on a leash so that she can’t access things that she shouldn’t be eating. I kept my puppy Beckett on a slip lead even while inside the house so that I could pull him away from things that I didn’t want him to put in his mouth.

·
Kristy
10,139 Posts
Thank you! I have other golden retriever owners tell me that this is not normal and we need to get this taken care of ASAP. So its good to hear not everyone feels this way
I will say this is not worrisome but it is a sign that you need to be very committed to daily obedience with her. It's a long process that you address day by day with consistent structure and plenty of games and play time. She needs to figure out that the people are in charge, all puppies benefit from obedience but puppies who are a little sassy especially. If you're not signed up for class, now is the time to find a good place to teach you how to train your puppy. It's worth every minute of time you give it. Plan on a year or two of classes and then you need to be good about continuing to practice. Have fun, it's a relationship builder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts