Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Love goldens 4 life!!!
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riley has had this bump on on her shoulder when she was little and gradually the bump has moved a little further back on her back as she got bigger. When she was 7 months or so the vet said it might have been a reaction from a vaccination.

So today we went to the vet for her booster shots and the bump is still there and I asked the vet about it again, they checked it out with a needle and found out it was a cyst. What causes cysts? Can it be a early sign of dysplaysia? I thought cysts were more common in older dogs? I'm just kinda freaking out about this whole thing, the vet said it should be fine and no reason to worry about it now.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Tysen has a cyst on his neck. Not noticeable unless you rub his neck. I've never heard of it being a sign of dysplasia. My vet also said it is no big deal as long as it does not grow too much. No need to worry!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
My Beau started getting them when he was younger. One of them we had to have cut out as it got big. But I have never heard it can cause dsyplasia. That is a hip problem that is with the bones. Not related at all. It may have been from the vaccines that never went away. I would not worry about it unless it gets very big.

·
16,000 Posts
There are so many different types of cysts, and none of them are due to a predispositon of breed, age or sex, although older dogs tend to have more cysts than young dogs. Cysts are benign, so unless are in an area that can be irritated by a collar or harness, or are otherwise bothersome to the dog (causing licking or chewing which can be a problem) then you really don't have to worry about them. If any lump or bump looks at all suspicious, or increases in size, it should be seen by a vet immediately, and it can be determined if a biopsy or removal is warranted.

·
Love goldens 4 life!!!
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Everyone

I am really glad I signed up for this forum, so many times I have been freaking out about my dog and just needed some other opinions and many times just wanted to share stories and photos and everyone has always been so supportive.

I am really very thankful for everyone here, god bless you all!

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
They can rupture sometimes and the stuff that comes out is really icky.:yuck: Warm compresses will sometimes make them go way. Just keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
If they come back clear from a biopsy they are fine, if they are symmetrical that’s good...just like in humans. They can be caused by diet, genetics, and many things they don't yet know. In order to prevent a cyst from coming back they have to remove the cyst sack otherwise if they drain them they can grow back. They can change size over time getting bigger and smaller. You just have to check them from time to time. I have one on my thyroid...they are annoying but fine. They only remove them if they are causing a problem, humans and dogs alike. : )

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I am really glad I signed up for this forum, so many times I have been freaking out about my dog and just needed some other opinions and many times just wanted to share stories and photos and everyone has always been so supportive.

I am really very thankful for everyone here, god bless you all!
While I'm really glad you're feeling better, I do wonder why you trust the collective opinion here instead of trusting your vet.

While the posters certainly have some expertise, I don't think any of them went to vet school, and what they know about canine medical problems came from, well, talking to vets.

If you don't trust your vet when he/she tells you not to worry, then maybe you need a new vet.

allen

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I agree with Allen that you should trust your vet's opinion primarily, but the opinions posted here seem to provide the reassurance asked for that cysts aren't related to dysplasia, that they're generally harmless, and that even a worst case scenario simply involves removal.

Since not all vets explain things carefully to clients, and not all vets stay current in their research, blindly trusting a vet is almost as bad as blindly trusting the internet.

By the way, a cyst is, by definition, just a sac of fluid. Cysts right on the skin like that can be little pockets of fluid around a tiny bit of dirt or hair. I suppose it could also have been the result of a vaccination if the puncture didn't heal quite right. They can be removed, but since they're usually harmless, it's not worth putting the dog through a procedure. Just draining the cyst with a needle will reduce it's size, but it'll generally come back unless you remove the sac itself.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Since not all vets explain things carefully to clients, and not all vets stay current in their research, blindly trusting a vet is almost as bad as blindly trusting the internet.
I wasn't suggesting that she not listen to us, so much as suggesting that she finds a vet who's both smart and willing to explain things more fully.

·
Jester & Piper's Mom
3,325 Posts
I found a lump on Jester's shoulder last year (when he was 2) and my vet (who I like and trust) told me not to worry about it after doing a needle biopsy. Of course I still worry about it :eek: anyway. It helps to know that there are others (here) with knowlege and reassurance.

·
Love goldens 4 life!!!
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is the trouble I have with this fourm, all I was wondering is if anyone's had experience with cysts causing problems or might be related to other problems. Basically I was just seeking some reassurance, I trust my vet. Sometimes theres just so much drama here.:doh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts