Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to correct my 3yo mutt's behavior. He is a small dog, 10 lbs. When my son pets him, he growls. When my son picks him up to move him, he growls. He doesn't bare his teeth, but he is obviously dominant toward my son.

How do I handle this behavior? I don't want this warning growl to escalate into a bite.

The other problem with this dog, Teddy, is that he barks insanely when my daughter has friends come over. No matter if we tell him no, stop, etc., he barks like crazy and they are all intimidated by him. He does not stop barking when they are in the house until they leave the room he is in. When they come back into the room to leave, he again barks at them.

I think this is also a dominance issue.

I have worked with Teddy and he does many commands, sit, stay, lie down, etc.; he does not growl at me.

Any suggestions?

Kris

·
Dog Lover for Life
220 Posts
I would have your kids do obedience sessions with him. Have your kids feed him and take him out for walks (since he is a small dog) all good things come from your kids. Step back a little. Have them do tricks with him also maybe let him drag a leash for a while so they don't have to touch him to move him but just take the leash and pull him off of what ever he needs to be moved of.
Also how are the kids around the dog? Are they teasing him or did he have bad experiences with the kids? You might want to consider talking to a trainer that checks out the dog acting around the kids.
All the best,
Elke, ZsaZsa and Bogart

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My son is the only one he growls at. And no, David has never mistreated him in any way. So I don't think its a trust issue, but rather a territorial/dominant/aggressive issue as also evidenced by how he goes ballistic when my daughter's teenage friends come over. I am seriously afraid he is going to bite one of them, they way he goes running after them. I try to grab him to restrain him, but man is he fast. He is out of my reach within seconds. I need to stop the behavior, big time!

Kris

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
bumping up

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Get him off the furniture immediately. Google Nothing in Life is Free dog training. This dog should get no privileges until his nasty behavior is solved. I would also crate him when your daughter's friends are over and not give him an opportunity to prove how scary he is. Keep a leash on him in order to move him, but he shouldn't need moving off of furniture since he shouldn't have the privilege at the moment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts