Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
7week old Nyla wont eat if her food is in another room and she's away from Hayden.. If she's near Hayden she wants Hayden's food not hers.. Hayden will eat either food lol

I'm trying to get Nyla off of the Puppy Chow her "breeder" was feeding her but can't find Purina One puppy (Hayden eats Purina One.. only thing she'll really eat). Is she ok eating the adult food if I can get her to eat some of hers as well? At least until one of the freakin' stores gets purina one puppy in?

I mean she's apparently getting what she needs since she's like a fire cracker! I thought puppies were suppose to sleep a lot? Pretty sure 3 year old Hayden and I sleep more than Nyla! lol

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Puppy Food, I Think...

From what I've read and what Maisie's vet said, puppies need puppy food because of the much higher gross protein level, something like 24 - 30+%. (I probably don't have the numbers exactly correct, so someone can correct me or you can check it out on one of the dog food web sites.) Her vet specifically recommended a large breed puppy food. We started with the Purina Pro Plan that the breeder was using, but crossed over to Orijens Puppy. (For some resasons specific to Maisie, I now have to blend that with a food that has some grain in it even though I was hoping to go grain free.)

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
The main diet for her should be lg breed puppy food. If she gets a few kernels of adult that is fine. puppy food has the nutrition a growing puppy needs esp for those first few months of rapid growth, just like a baby who needs formula. I switched to adult at 6 mos once my pups rapid growth phase stopped to make sure she didn't gain too much weight. I will says he has stayed nice and trim doing this!

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
7wk old, you have to give her puppy food only. i fed my 5 wk old pup puppy food. there are many reasons, dha, fat, protein content and its easier to digest. at 7 wk, i dont recommend adult dog food. you can try adding some cottage cheese or mix few kibbles of adult dog food in her chow.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
There was a day when puppies needed and benefited from puppy food. However adult formula foods have changed over the years. MANY well respected breeders no longer feed puppy food at all...ever... Look for an ALS (all life stages) food or study labels and look for proportions that mimic the labels on puppy food.

One of the advantages of true puppy food has nothing to do with the protein/calcium/phosphorus etc. levels, but the way in which the food crumbles and how fast it absorbs water..which makes it easier for teething puppies to chew..

FWIW - Tracer has never had puppyfood... & never had pano or any other bone/muscle growth related issues.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
personally I never add dairy products to puppyfood...Dairy prodcuts are not always tolerated by puppies and frankly depending on how much you offer...the calcium/fat etc...can throw off the proportions of what you were trying to achieve by feeding the puppyfood in the first place!

Reactions: Tahnee GR

·
Registered
926 Posts
My 14 week old has transitioned to Acana (ALS) from the Solid Gold Puppy food the breeder was feeding. In fact, the breeder wanted all the puppies off puppy food by 4 months old.
And as LibertyMe said many breeders don't even feed puppy food anymore.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The purina one is actually smaller bites then the stupid puppy chow is. Not to mention puppy chow makes her poop red and all other colors the food is. Hate that stuff!!
Not to mention she eats the stuff with the soft bits in it too. I just can't get her to leave Hayden's food alone.

Now I have NO way of keeping her away from anything unless I'm able to close a door to keep her out. Had a baby gate and she climbs out :( lol

·
Apollo & Knightley's mum!
279 Posts
I fed my pup puppy food until 20 weeks, then we switched to a All Life Stages food. That is the way that is recommended for best joint growth. Slow growth schedules also recommend an early switch to adult food. However - none of them would recommend feeding adult food at 7 weeks. Little puppies need more protein than 21-24%.

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
I fed my pup puppy food until 20 weeks, then we switched to a All Life Stages food. That is the way that is recommended for best joint growth. Slow growth schedules also recommend an early switch to adult food. However - none of them would recommend feeding adult food at 7 weeks. Little puppies need more protein than 21-24%.
i agree with this. i have taken care of 2 pups who were less than 4 weeks old when i got them and both times the vet suggested to keep them on puppy food. they have to be atleast 12 weeks or older to give them any other food.

·
Apollo & Knightley's mum!
279 Posts
Can you crate one for food time instead? You can feed an adult dog puppy food for a short time, but compare the calorie content between what the adult has been getting and the puppy food. Puppy food is usually significantly higher - in both protein and fats too. Not only that, the pieces will be smaller, so the adult will have to do less work with their teeth, risking teeth and gum issues. So if you want to feed puppy food to an adult, do it for a short amount of time. For instance, puppy food is fed to bitches with baby pups, but of course that is for a short time and for the extra fats and protein so she can make the extra milk.

I would try to work out some way of feeding them both what they need were I you. Your dogs' well being calls for ingenuity on your part. A crate sounds the simplest way to me, my pup is crated to be fed anyway!

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Back when I was a kid, the foods were not so specialized and all of our pups managed tp grow. In any case, I switch to adult food at 4 months.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I had the most problems when I raised my pups on Canidae ALS. I, however, have had the most success with Wellness Just For Puppy(not LB) and Wellness Adult(not LB).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts