Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with this and does it help protect their pups feet from salt and ice balls? What do you do when you are at home? Wash it off?

A couple of times on a walk last week Ozzy froze up, started limping and then layed down with a paw in the air. I messed around with it to make sure nothing was stuck and he went on his way (until it happened again). I assume he's getting the road salt stuck in his paws which must be quite painful! Then last night we were playing some deep snow and he was getting frustrated with ice balls that were forming between his toe pads. I remember that with my previous Golden and it was difficult for her.

We tried boots with our last dog and though they would work on walks they wouldn't stay on in deeper snow. I thought the mushers wax might be an option.

Though I understand why this would be helpful for salt I'm not sure why it would help with ice balls as it claims.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I have used it on my boys when the snow is really sticky or there is a lot of salt on the roads and it really seems to help.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I have used it on my dogs, and switched over to a more natural product, Protect-A-Paw from Herbs for Life. Both work well for me.

Pet Wellness Blends Protect-A-Paw

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
I have used it on my boys when the snow is really sticky or there is a lot of salt on the roads and it really seems to help.
Oaklys Dad does the wax stay on their pads once they get back inside? Is it difficult to get off their pads? It seems like it might have the potential to damage carpets or area rugs if it wasn't removed?

Pete

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I use it when the snow is deep and they're romping around in it. It prevents the build up of snow balls between the toes. It reminds me of a thicked petroleum jelly. It doesn't stain carpets or hardwoods.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Oaklys Dad does the wax stay on their pads once they get back inside? Is it difficult to get off their pads? It seems like it might have the potential to damage carpets or area rugs if it wasn't removed?

Pete
It hasn't been a problem for me. It seems to have soaked in or worn off by the time we get back. Not unlike hand lotion.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Musher's secret works very well. We just came back from a one mile walk breaking a fresh trail through the snow. Fiona accumulated snowballs on her feathering, but no snow balls in her feet, no limping.

It wears off by itself, I have never taken it off. Never had a problem with marks on the hardwood floor or carpet.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I haven't seen this brand but I use invisible paws. Same thing. It works great, her paws are super soft, the only issue is that she loves to lick it. I also use it on the cats as they get dry paws from the heating.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts