Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this post by saying that about 1.5 months ago, Murphy came down with kennel cough or something similar (despite having been the bordatella vaccine) and I took him to the vet and he got 10 days of antibiotics and was totally fine (in fact all of his symptoms disappeared almost immediately after leaving the vets office....)

Then last Saturday he jumped in the air at the park and fell flat on his side on cement (he is in an unbelievably clumsy stage) and a trip to the emergency vet ensued because he hurt one of his legs a bit and then started throwing up (again, he was totally fine, just got the wind knocked out of him and leg was back to normal within a few hours)

Now he can't seem to stop having these sneezing fits! He has no other symptoms. I think he may have sneezed a couple of times on Sunday evening, but it really started yesterday. I took him to the mountain/ski area where I work and we hiked around a bit yesterday morning. I know that foxtails or other long grasses are often the culprit of this kind of snorting/sneezing, but I don't know if we have foxtails here in Western Washington?

Basically I am trying to figure out whether this warrants another vet trip or whether I should wait it out a few days. We have puppy class tonight and we already had to miss two weeks because of the kennel cough in early October so I really don't want to miss anymore!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
43,252 Posts
I think I would take him to the vet to be on the safe side. There might have been a side effect from the getting the air knocked out of him. And I would get an xray to make sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have been more clear in my post I think. The fall/emergency clinic visit happened not this most recent Saturday, but the one before. So about 8 or 9 days before the sneezing started. It hadn't occured to me that they might be related?

I called the vet and they said to just keep an eye on him for a few days and that we were ok to go to puppy class tonight. So I will just try not to worry about it too much. I love this puppy so so so so much I feel like I've lost perspective when it comes to things like this. I just get so scared about anything bad happening to him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
Kira,

Hope all is well. I am so much like you. I think my vet (who I do not even like) is on my speed dial already! I call for everything. My policy is better safe than sorry! So if you just do not feel right about it I would take the pup in.

Being an outsider, I would think Murphy is probably ok. I would do what the vet said and keep an eye out. If it was me, I would also probably call the trainer of the class just to give them a heads up about the sneezing. I would assume they would not have any issue you with Murphy coming to class with the sneezes.

Good Luck! I hope you both enjoy class this evening!
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top