Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beckett is 16 weeks old today, and we were just at the vet for his final parvo/distemper vaccine. While we were there, he also got the first round of a 2 part Leptospirosis vaccine (We are in San Diego where there was a significant (for our area) increase in lepto cases last year, so all vets are recommending it). Anyway, he’s supposed to get his rabies vaccine in 4 weeks, and the vet wants to also give the second lepto vaccine then as well. Assuming he has no issues with the first lepto vaccine today, is there any harm in giving two at once at 20 weeks? I know he doubled up today when he got parvo/distemper and lepto, but I was under the impression rabies was more intense which is why I’m hesitant to double up on that. Because lepto needs the second dose within 3 weeks of the first, my other alternative is to give the lepto booster in 2 or 3 weeks, and then follow with rabies 2 or 1 week after that. I know other parts of the country routinely vaccinate against lepto without issues, but it’s a bit more unfamiliar to me. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Nope, definitely double check with your vet, but getting rabies at 14-16 weeks with DHPP is actually pretty standard.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am also wondering about doubling up on vaccines. My vet wants to give Leptospirosis at 12 weeks along with the 2nd Distemper/Parvo vaccine. I see your vet waited until he was 16 weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
There are varying opinions on this, but personally I don’t give rabies, and wouldn’t give lepto, in combination with any other vaccines. My boy Dover got several in combination (I think his second or third round of puppy shots) and woke up the next morning shivering and lethargic. Never again...

Here’s a few articles in support of this perspective:

·
Super Moderator
1,891 Posts
My vet down here is pretty allopathic but surprisingly she absolutely will not double up on vaccines. Everything is given 3-4 weeks apart, even the final DA2PP and rabies

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the input! @pawsnpaca thanks for the article as well, very helpful. It sounds like viral (rabies) and bacterial (lepto) shouldn’t be mixed since they’re both the most reactive of their classes. I’m kicking myself because at Beckett’s well puppy exam I thought we had worked out a schedule that spaced them out, but I couldn’t find my notes yesterday, and the visit via Zoom was hectic enough so I just let the vet go ahead. Lesson learned.
Beckett needs his dog license by the time he’s 5 months old which puts us at 6/11 so I think I’m going to see if he can get his second lepto in 2.5 weeks and then rabies in another 2.5 on 6/10. Not the best schedule, but the best I can do with a deadline. Thanks all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts