Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, like the title says my baby boy, Dante, is 1 1/2. Mommy and Daddy love on him and pet him every day so a few weeks ago when we found 4 different lumps on him it worried us. We immediately took him to the vet which dismissed it saying they were cysts. But they all came up overnight which still worried us. Well today we took him back to the vet because he now has 12 individual lumps in different parts of his body. They are popping up so fast. This time the vet was an older guy who had more experience and told us they his breed was more prone to cancer than most. (Which I knew because I did my homework before getting him). They are doing surgery right now to remove one to have it sent off for testing but I just wondered if anyone has had anything like this happen before? We don't want to think the worst but having a hard time not doing that.
I attached a picture of him... because well.... don't all proud mommies do that? haha!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,668 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum.

I'm so sorry Dante is having surgery to remove growths. He's a beautiful boy.

Growths are fairly common but usually in older Goldens. My bridge boy who was 15.5 when he passed had a few. The Vet always checked them, removed and biopsied any that needed to be.

My current two so far do not have any, one is 5 and the other is 9.

Hope Dante's surgery goes well, keep us posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much! And yes he seems to be very healthy. His eating and bathroom habits have not changed and he sure doesn't have less energy. Haha! He can bring us his football 50 times in a row before getting tired of it. The lumps do not bother him at all. I'm hoping maybe he got into something at the house. Maybe cleaning products, garbage, something like that. He has been getting angry with us lately because it has been so cold out that we haven't went to the park so he has been cooped up and he has been KILLING the trash.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They didn't do bloodwork. They are all different sizes. He has one the size of a pea on his nose but the one on his back is more the size of an egg. There are lots of things that it could be. He goes to the dog park a lot but he should be protected from most of the normal things dogs contract. He only goes out to go the bathroom other than that. They tried to lance one and nothing came out of it and they didn't like that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE: The vet that did the surgery says the lump they removed was encapsulated. They said that was a good sign that it was benign. They also gave him some antibiotics to knock it out if it was bacterial.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Mw

MW

Praying for your baby. When can he come home?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Dante is so handsome! Sending prayers that he will be okay. My Bentley (21 mos) has one lump on his leg that I have had looked at 3 times. They took some fluid last time and the vet said it is a sebaceous cyst and should not cause an issue. Hopefully Dante's will go away on the meds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MW

Praying for your baby. When can he come home?
He got to come home the same day...thankfully! The only trouble we have had since is trying to keep him from ripping his stitches. He was already wanting to play when we got home. He doesn't understand that he is hurt and needs to be still.:(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts