Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Do you think we will succeed?

• Yes, go for it!!!

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Yes, but it will be a long hard road...

Votes: 45 57.7%
  • no, you are doomed to failure...

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Run away while you still can...

Votes: 17 21.8%

• Total voters
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Takoda's Mom
232 Posts
A few questions for you. Do you have a fenced in yard where these pups can run, play and get exercise? Also, where you live do they have a limit on how many pets you can have? I know here it's 3 after that you need to pay for a special liscense and they can come check you home to make sure the pets are being taken care of properly.

Not sure where you live, but if it's somewhere with harsh winters like we have in Wisconsin, the dogs tend to be inside a lot more than the other seasons, something to think about. I know when it was way below zero, the dogs were driving us nuts being stuck in the house so much. I was so happy to see the weather get above freezing so they could stay outside longer and run off some energy and we only have two dogs. Now we have a 4 month and a 4 yr old and they rough house it so much I have to seperate them so the 4 yr old can get some time away from the energy filled puppy.

A friend of mine has a littermate of Takoda and when they get together they are a handful, wrestling together and just holding on to their leashes can be hard. We started Advanced Puppy class today and she got into the same class with us and we sat apart just so the two wouldn't be trying to play while we sat listening to the instructor. But they did fine in class and we will be looking forward to next week.

It's going to be a LOT of work, and I agree with others who posted and said kids are kids, you might end up being the pack leader for all 4 pups in a few weeks/months. I don't know your kids, but if they are commited to work with their pups, then things might work out for you all. Costs of classes is not cheap either, but a club might be something you could look into, the one I go to has a family membership for a yearly fee and classes are included after puppy class and an associative membership is completed. That could save you a lot of money. 4-H is a great program, I was in that as a kid too, and if they stay focused with it, more power to them and YOU !

By the way they are all adorable, that's why I stay away from the Humane Society , petfinders,or I would end up with more pets than I could afford. All puppies are cute, but they do grow up FAST ! LOL

I wish you the best in whatever you end up doing and look forward to more posts and photos!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm not keen on crating puppies, I used one for my 2nd dog and, although he is a lovely boy, he is quite aloof and only wants cuddles on his terms.
I'll never use one again and only did on the advice of a 'trainer'.
Dogs are pack animals and should live together as such.
Why not take them gun dog training? Are there any shoots where you live? You can find out on the internet.
What is 4 - H training? At least these breeds are easy to train and want to please their owners.
Good luck to you, puberty sounds like it will be fun!
Christine & boys
ps: dont get them neutered too young.:)

·
I'm Kinda A Big Deal :)
2,154 Posts
I think its wonderful if your kids take responsiblity for these puppies. They say you can tell what kind of parents they will be by how they take care of animals (this is just what they say...LOL) I've had 11 12 week old littermates (but it was only for a couple weeks) and it was rewarding but very tough, ecspecially with no kids to help and a full time job. They were rescues. I wish you the best and IMO if you are confident in your children, dont rehome.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
We have a fenced in yard, large 4 bedroom house, committed to 4H for all 4 dogs for the 3 kids and mom, we live in a temperate climate (Washington state) where it stays above freezing 300 days/year. The dogs are going to be part of the family and be indoor dogs who go out to play, walks, and potty. It is very rare that they would be left alone (less than 10 hrs/week) and that is when they would be crated. The crates will be in each bedroom that they will live in with their human. We have schedules where the kids watch each others dog while they go to school or work and it is working out well so far. Those pictures were taken the first week that we saved the puppies from their neglectful (out of ignorance) owner. We got them at 5 weeks and they were so infested with worms that they were having seizures. It took a week of nursing them through that and they survived (vet laid odds on them not making it through the week). Here is our flickr photo account for the puppies http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157607752848662/

·
Scouts Mom
844 Posts
First, I want to thank you and your family from the bottom of my heart for saving these puppies lives. Keeping all four may be able to be done but I really think you are in over your heads. My sister and brother in law just got two 9 week old mini schnauzer puppies and between her and her husband caring for them they have no time what so ever for themselves. This is a HUGE commitment. I have first hand experience with two large breed puppies at once also. It is exhausting to say the least. There are so many more behavioral things to deal with when dealing with more than one puppy. The biggest concern with four large indoor puppies is the destruction of your own personal property. The number one thing I remember from having two puppies at once is them being much more active in the house. They have a very hard time learning the difference between inside play and outside play and they are much harder to calm down in groups. They will end up taking over your house if you're not very careful.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
You've got this very well planned out. There are some children in this world who are very responsible and can take on such responsiblities. I've been impressed by a number of homeschooled children who have crossed my path. To homeschool, a parent has to be very motivated,have a lot of patience, and be a good leader. I keep thinking of all those youngsters who get up at the crack of dawn working on farms with the family. Puppies and dogs present different challenges and have different needs of course, but I wish you the best!

I just went back to view the pictures. They're adorable!

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
well you sound very dedicated and Im sure you can make it work...there will definitely be times when you will be pulling your hair out and I would never do it but I say go for it! 4 puppies...gawd almighty! Have fun!!!!

·
crazy for goldens!
844 Posts
It sounds like you have a plan in place! You will have to send us pics. Bob and I still at least a couple of times a week say how lucky we are have been with our house of gold!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Heartofgold... thanks for the encouragement... after having 3 kids, our house and possessions is not one that we are worried about... we tend to shop a lot in thrift stores and garage sales so we are not really worried about our stuff being destroyed.

Maryjean... look at my last post you will see our link to puppies pic page on flickr... that is where we are going to keep putting all our pictures.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Adorable puppies. I think you're doing a wonderful job with them and I don't think you've overestimated your abilities to do this.

You have a wonderfully responsible family and I'll bet each one of your puppies gets MORE personal attention than most puppies do.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted. We love to see puppies growing up.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
They are growing up so fast and just as cute as ever. I like the first one, he looks like a spunky guy.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
If each party has his or her own dog and raises it with tons of one on one devotion, I believe it can be done. They should IMO be in each person's room, separate, much of the time, but definitely they should be allowed to play, play, play, and socialize with eachother! They're sure cute... I wouldn't do it by myself, but in a large and truly dedicated household, I maybe would. I have that many, but not all were puppies at the same time.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts