Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for viewing! Our Golden LOVES to play outside even if it is POURING down rain or snow! She's an indoor/outdoor dog and on wet/muddy days I feel bad for keeping her inside, likewise when she's been out I feel bad for keeping her out when she wants in. What are some effective ways of cleaning her up before she comes in (on the white carpet) without giving her a complete bath??? I'll appreciate any advice-thanks!
:)

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
We are lucky, our two crazy love to get muddy boys can come into a tiled floor and bathroom right from the back door. We have a hose attachment and wash feet and underbelly many times a day. A bucket with warm water and lots of towels would work well also..as well as a large tarp and clean up crew but the shower hose attachments works for us.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
train her to come in and sit on a towel/rug - or in one spot when asked. This way you can wipe her down with a towel to get the majority off. A Sham-Wow works to absorb water quick...even on a golden.

Do you have a way to have a middle ground, where she can come in if dirty - and hang until she gets a towel off?

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Mine love MUD too. I have, on occasion, gone outside, turned on the hose, in 30 degree weather, and hosed the mud off of them. They seem to think that it is "great".... me (in my PJs) was not that excited about the event. :yuck:

I would deep 6 the white carpet.... it just doesn't go with Goldens very well. :)

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Mine love MUD too. I have, on occasion, gone outside, turned on the hose, in 30 degree weather, and hosed the mud off of them. They seem to think that it is "great".... me (in my PJs) was not that excited about the event.
*snort* :roflmao:LOL! been there, done that!

We solved most of that problem by putting down strewn bales of hay on all the muddy areas. It really made a big difference.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,781 Posts
Where in NC are you? I live on the Coast-it has been raining here for days........
Today is finally dry and the sun is out-YEAH!

I use a waterless shampoo on my two-I just got one made by Furminator, it works good. If your pup is covered in mud, it would probably be best to put her in the shower.

Love to see pics of your girl.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
If it's just a little mud on paws, I used one of those water-less towel (bought it at PetsMart) slightly damp to wipe feet. If he's been in the mud, I usually just bite the bullet and put Hank in the shower. He's already needed 2 baths in one day.

We just replaced our light-colored carpet with hardwood. Sooo much easier for clean-ups.

·
Registered
12,486 Posts
Definitely train in a "wait" command - or something similar - so that your dog will not run into the house without being cleaned off. It helps. My dog won't go in if she knows she is dirty. She sits and waits to be cleaned off. But get this:

One time, a spring muddy and rainy day, even after towelling her off, she was SO filthy that she hesitated when I said, "alright" and she (no word of a lie) walked upstairs to the bathroom and into the tub. It was the freakiest thing ever - as I had definitely been THINKING, this dog is SO getting a bath - but I hadn't said it because I didn't want to freak her out! So I think they DO know when they're dirty - and I'm not sure mine likes it!

PS I have gotten rid of the light beige carpetting in my downstairs and staircase. The rest of the house is hardwood and tile - except for the two bedrooms, and those are on my list! Dogs and light carpet do not go well together!

·
Valerie
789 Posts
i have another mud lover here.

if its just maggies paws that are muddy i have a large bowl that i fill with water and dunk each of her paws in to clean. then dry them of course.

if its her underbelly or rear area then i take her outside and hose her down. she doesnt mind it and its much easier than having to take her muddy self through the house and into the tub.

i let her hang out in the garage a while to dry off before she comes back in.

if its been raining a lot then this process usually happens a few time a day :p:

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Our guy is almost always wet, wet, wet. The pool is his second home! We don't get a lot of mud in the desert; but I swear that he takes half of the pool water out with him when soaked.

We taught him: "Wet dogs outside" and he runs over to his towel hanging on the pool area wall. He loves to be toweled dry - it must feel great.

We have slowly eliminated the carpets too......

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOW! Thanks for all the great advice! We live in High Point, NC (about 30 from Winston and Greensboro). Our backyard gets very muddy! We're going to get some hay and what-not for those extremely muddy areas! I'm definitely going to try hosing her off! LOL! I just don't want her to get cold (my husband thinks I worry too much about her). I don't have any pics of her muddy I need to take a few! ; ) We have a house at Topsail Island, NC about 30 min. from Wilmington and she LOVES the water...when we're there we just hose her off on the deck no problem! We have a screen porch that serves as a middle ground which also gets muddy as she comes back and forth. We definitely need to work on training her to sit/stay in one area while we towel/wash her off. When she sees the towel she knows she's coming in and gets so excited. We usually walk her on towels to our bathroom, and giver her a bath in our shower, but we can't giver her a bath like that several times a day!!!
Thanks so much for all of the advice! I REALLY appreciate it!! We have not had her for very long and we are very new to this! She's our first dog together and we do not have any children! = )
Thanks so much! Amanda = )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts