Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my problem is that my backyard has some dirt areas that get very muddy when it rains. My problem is that every morning when I let my pups out to go to the bathroom when they come back in they are very muddy. I then have to wait until they dry to let them come back in or just make them stay outside, which I don't like to.

My question is how do you deal with rain and muddy paws. I hate having them locked up when they get muddy, but I can't have a muddy house everyday. Any advice??

·
Registered
269 Posts
Finns bed is right beside the door so I just keep a towel there and tell him to get into bed when he comes in and dry off his paws.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Depending on the level of mud - I have a large mat down during "muddy" season, ever since they were small puppies the procedure is to walk in and sit down to have your paws wiped. I keep a basket of towels by the door. They know the routine, sit lift first left paw, right paw stand for chest and tummy lift right back paw, left back paw and then tail. Get a cookie! :)

For severe mud (head to toe and gooey) I have a foot bath on the deck and the hose is always out. Yes, I have had to hose them off in 30 degree weather in my jammies. Yes, I get wet, muddy and cold, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Oh - and I do basically have a dirty house cause I can't wash the floor every time they go out! :) Dark brown hardwood flooring doesn't show mud. ;)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Im lucky i was able to fence off my grass area(which is pur mud in winter!)and Jamie just uses the paved area to pee etc.
But I do have a sea of rugs to mop up muddy paws from the back door also ive had special coats made to measure; one waterproof that covers the whole body(except feet&head obviously lol) and the same in towelling so when he does get wet and muddy its contained in the suit till he's dry and my house stays clean THEYRE FAB! Not practical jst for pee visits though.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking of putting down gravel in a small area of the yard by the backdoor and putting a temporary fence/gate up. In my eyes, I see dogs as outdoor animals. I love having them in and I know they like to be in, but it just seems cruel to me to keep a dog couped up inside all day, so its hard for me to just take them out to pee only. I like letting them have their freedom with the doggie door so they can come in and out when they want. With mud being an issue here that isn't really possible. i am thinking with the gravel down it wouldn't be muddy and they could still go outside if they need fresh air..what do you think?

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Haven't had mud issues yet with Jaro since we have had a very dry summer but when I did have that issue with Subiaco I had an old plastic dish pan by the back door which would be a kind of foot bath plus lots of crummy old towels.

·
Curator of the Coy Zoo
770 Posts
We use hay and pine straw, but it has to be renewed pretty often. We also graveled in the area that never grew grass and almost always got muddy when it rains. That helped a lot, but they don't like to run and play on it as much as they did the dirt or sometimes grass.

I also have the hose at the ready and wash a whole, whole lot of towels. In fact, I wore out my dryer ON button this summer when we had rain every day for weeks and when it didn't rain, the mud just stayed!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I was thinking of putting down gravel in a small area of the yard by the backdoor and putting a temporary fence/gate up.
I think gravel would be tough on their feet and they wouldn't run around that much on it.

I like letting them have their freedom with the doggie door so they can come in and out when they want. With mud being an issue here that isn't really possible.
If it's important to you that they can go in/out when they want you should find a way to block the room off that the access. Gravel can cut their feet and if there is no other way to prevent mud then you need to limit house access.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
We have an outside tap that we wash feet and bellys with when we return from our walks. The other option is a bucket full of water and to shake each foot in the water and then to dry with a towel. We also put cardboard down in the utility room over the winter, it really absorbes the moisture from the dogs coats.

·
goldenfan
673 Posts
I have a mat that absorbs water inside the door, a dog room with an electric heater where they dry off and if they are really bad I use a blaster to remove the excess water.
I also have a 30 x 20 ft paved dog run to keep them off the grass in bad weather. Annef

·
Curator of the Coy Zoo
770 Posts
BTW - the gravel that we put down is actually about 1 - 2 inch river rock, so its not sharp. Its not as easy to walk on as grass or dirt, but won't or shouldn't cut their feet. But they don't run around on it as much but do on occassion. Plus, got to watch Darby cause he likes to pick up a rock and carry it around with him. We've got to watch him to make sure he doesn't swallow them! If its not one issue - there's another! LOL.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts