Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our snow is now melting (woo hoo) but now the backyard seems to be one big mud puddle (boo hoo). When Molly goes out for a pee and spends 5 minutes looking for that perfect place to pee. Or worse, I forget to stand there watching her and she carries on with her efforts to tunnel to areas beyond her backyard. She wants to come in with black paws.

Just want to find out what everyone else does about cleaning up muddy paws. I suppose I can't give her paws a bath every time because I imagine it will dry out her skin, not to mention the time it takes to do it.

What do you do?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a shallow footbath by the door on muddy days to just swish and rinse those paws. Also I used Pawz booties this winter. They are like rubber "balloons" slip on in seconds and keep those paws clean. Worked great at the dog park.

·
Premium Member
16,421 Posts
I am SERIOUSLY thinking about getting a big tarp for the sunroom where the three goldens come in all muddy. I already rolled up the rug for the duration of mud season. My mom makes a wash/dry staion at the back door, with warm water for paw dipping and fluffy towels. I agree it is a dreaded part of spring. I wash the kitchen floor twice a day- boo hoo too.

·
Chloe and Cedar's Mom
718 Posts
My bathroom is right by the back door. If they come in totally muddy then I just walk them right into the bathroom and right in to the stand up shower. I have one of those showerheads that you can take down and use as a hose type shower. I just take that off, rinse their feet then off they go..
I love the end of winter, but i cant stand the mucky yard in spring!

·
Maryland
2,806 Posts
I put down old blankets in the mudroom by the back door. I let them in, and make them stay there for about 30 mins, so the worst of the wet mud will be gone.

I then go in and wipe their feet. However, I also know that if they get their feet wet again...perhaps from some water dripped on the floor in the kitchen after they get a drink...I'll have mud in THAT room from the dried dirt still stuck on the paws.

SO....I put some old blankets in that room as well...and especially around that water bowl.

I buy the blankets at WalMart. They twin size are $5....the Full/Queen are $9. I have about 20 of them, LOL. The great thing is, unlike rugs, you can easily pick them up, shake them out and throw them in the wash. Plus you have much greater "coverage" of your floors. Rugs can be unwieldy when trying to "clean up" - and they're more costly.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I have an old tablecloth that I keep by the back door, but I'll be honest, we don't really use it much. She's my kitchen dog so she can't go beyond unless I open the gate. It's a good thing I chose Mud coloured tile in my home (we have 3 men working in construction here), and I've started wearing my clogs in the kitchen otherwise I'd be much stricter about cleaning paws as she comes in.

Usually, she gets her first "wipe" as she comes in on the tablecloth... then she walks around the kitchen and I can't see the prints. Then it's all dried up, and the black paws disappear (probably on her blankets).

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I have a dishpan by the door that I use to rinse the paws until it warms up enough to hook up the hose outside.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
i keep a towel on the back yard porch.It good enough not to leave any mud prints on the floor.

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
I usually lay 2 beach towels down (in a row) for them to walk on as they are coming in the door. I have too many dogs to be able to wipe their feet each time. Even with the towels I still have some mud getting on the floor. I try to ignore it as best I can....LOL!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have old sheets spread out on the floor by the back door. And when they come in they both sit and get their paws wiped with towels. If they have really muddy paws, I do the dipping the paws in the water bowl routine. I am also wiping up the floors all the time it seems. And the sheets are easy to pick up & shake outside & throw in the washer. Between their towels & sheets & blankets, I do a lot of dog laundry :bowl:

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Bucket of water by the back door and towels hanging over a chair right nearby. I used to be much more neurotic about no muddy paws, but lately, I just figure I'll rent the giant carpet shampooer when mud season's over:)

·
Registered
869 Posts
I think we have decided to put gravel down outside our back door probably abpouit a 10x20 foot section. During the winter we will put up a temporary wire fence to close off the rest of the yard. When the ground is frozen or when things dry up in the spring we can open it to the rest of the yard. Got the idea from our breeder.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I keep 2 towels at the back door just incase if he comes in with mud on his feet. Thank god the ground is finally starting to dry out.. its been raining constantly the past few days. I want to get a hose out back so i can just hose off his feet outside let him walk in and dry his feet on the towels. but we dont have a water spiket out back. :(

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Just have a large towel by the backdoor. I've got Tysen trained to offer each paw so I can wipe it and when I'm done wiping he will place that clean paw inside so it doesn't get dirtier. Then after the mud is gone-time to clean the floors really good!

·
Registered
744 Posts
I trim the heck out of Tucker's fuzzy paws first off, that really helps clean up. We hav a gray carpet rug in our mud room where we all come in from the back yard. I wipe his feet with an old towel and sometimes make him stand in there a few minutes if his feet are damp.

·
Now Fenway's Proud Mom!
230 Posts
I was just wondering the other day how everyone else dealt with this, but it sounds like I have tried much the same things as everyone else. It's already in the 50s and 60s here and our water hose is right by the back door so I usually wash them off first and then keep a towel inside by the back door. Makes for lots of laundry, but it's better than mopping muddy footprints off the hardwoods every day. Now I only have to mop every other day. :) Such is life with these furry kids.

·
Mulligan
516 Posts
In the fall, we put down indoor/outdoor carpeting. The color is such that the mud blends in pretty good. When the dogs come in, I do wipe them down to get the first layer off. I then have a path of playmats that interlock for them to walk on. By the time they get off the play mats, most of the mud has been left on the mats. We will just run the cleaner after the wetness has dried and all is good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts