Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed this? Mucinex gives me the weirdest dreams. I hate taking this stuff, but I take the weird dreams over being gunked up.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Never took Mucinex, but Nyquil does it for me. Scary weird dreams. :no:

·
Registered
494 Posts
I dont think Ive paid attention, really... I know when I take Melatonin I have crazy strange dreams. Those ones where you think its real life!! For my migraines I am on Nortryptaline, and sometimes that gives me some freaky ones...or maybe thats just because we watched The Walking Dead before going to sleep...

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Are you taking the Mucinex with the decongestant in it? If so, YES!! This is the one variety of Mucinex our state requires to be put behind the pharmacy counter and not on the shelves because it has the same ingredients in the decongestant that meth cookers use to make meth! You have to sign and show ID to buy it. I took some in 2006 or 2007 and I literally started hallucinating so bad I thought I might die. I threw it away the next day and went to the doctor! He told me to stick with the (at the time) other boxes that don't have the decongestants. I never had that reaction with the expectorant kinds.

From the PubMed Health site: Guaifenesin comes alone and in combination with antihistamines, cough suppressants, and decongestants. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice on which product is best for your symptoms. Check nonprescription cough and cold product labels carefully before using two or more products at the same time. These products may contain the same active ingredient(s) and taking them together could cause you to receive an overdose. This is especially important if you will be giving cough and cold medications to a child.Guaifenesin - PubMed Health

It could also be causing the reaction to any other drugs you are taking.

Hope you start feeling better very soon.

·
Administrator
16,476 Posts
I know when I take Melatonin I have crazy strange dreams. Those ones where you think its real life!!.
I too can agree with Melatonin and weird dreams. I stopped taking it because I got less restful sleep when using them, than without, do to the dreams......

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was not the one with decongestant, just the plain blue and white tablets. The only dream I remember last night was me riding around with my son's soccer coach in a beat up pickup. We stopped a school in a bad area of town for soccer practice, but we were early. He was going to show me that his pickup truck could fly, but in my dream I fell asleep in the front seat during the demonstration and woke up after we landed. After that, I woke up in real in real life. I always seem to miss the good parts.

I feel better this morning. It seems that the antibiotics are finally kicking in....

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I haven't paid attention to a correlation with bad dreams, but I hate the way mucinex makes me smell! If I am training scent articles with the dogs I cannot take it because it messes up my scent too much.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Burger King gives me nightmares if I eat it for dinner.

I don't take medicine for anything... even the flu my body just fights it off on its own.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Never took Mucinex, but Nyquil does it for me. Scary weird dreams. :no:
Me too! Never again, I tell you. The last time I took some Nyquil I had the scariest dreams that seemed to last forever - never again. Now if I've got a cold I go straight to my netti pot.

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
I've never taken Mucinex, but cold meds often give me bad nightmares. Especially if I'm taking them every 4-6 hours for a few days. Crazy, and often scary.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Mucinex is guaifenesin. The D in Mucinex D is pseudoephrine, which is also Sudafed. It is the pseudoephedrine that is used to make meth. Several states have it behind the counter for that reason.
I took both Mucinex D and Mucinex back when they were prescription only. They are the only things that touch my serious sinus headaches, which are borderline migraines (some doctors say yes, some say no).

If you take Mucinex in any form, you have to increase your water intake. My son took it as a young child (Entex), before we knew how much to increase his water intake and he couldn't walk the next day. We went to the ER and they started tests for forms of MD, etc. After hydrating him for 24 hours, he was fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts