Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some major advice on this issue.
I currently live with my parents in a fairly large home and a average sized fenced backyard (around 1800sqft) I have a 10month old female golden retriever and I love her very much. We have never crated her she has the whole home to sleep wherever she wants, she gets to play in the backyard, sometimes she just stays out sleeping on the deck for half the day, and I take her for daily 1hr walks. she basically lives like a princess I'd say.

I am planning to move out, I can only afford an apartment atm and don't know what to do with the dog. My parents don't want to keep it (not that they don't love her, but rather they don't want me to move out), I have my reasons for moving out. but the problem is, I dont know if she can live my lifestyle in an appartment. I will be away for 10 hrs a day (currently my mom works from home so she is constantly around the dog), I dont know where she is supposed to go potty, I cant take her outside all the time and I dont want her going inside my home. she will have lost all her freedom and I can't see myself giving her to anyone. The only option I see is convincing my parents (will prob never happen) or talking to the breeder to take her back.

What are your thoughts on it? what are my options?

Thanks for all the feedback I truly appreciate it.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Having a golden in an apartment is certainly do-able. I did it for a year... but you have to be dedicated... and I honestly cannot say that you seem to be.
Especially at this age, they will need plenty of exercise, multiple trips outside just for potty breaks. I highly recommend you crate train your pup just in case you need to crate her when you aren't home. You never know- it is an invaluable tool. You WILL have to take her outside all the time, you WILL have to dedicate the time to exercise her. Put in the effort as you dedicated yourself to this dog the moment you adopted her for the life of this dog.
Goldens do quite well in apartments! They want to be where you are!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Get your parents to take the the dog. Your Mom seems to be close to her. If they say no at first. Maybe a few days away, they'll change their mind. If not, and your allowed to keep a dog in your apartment. Your dog will adapt. You will have to take her out for walks after you get home each day. My 14 month old golden is in a crate for 6 to 8 hours five days a week. He can't be trusted in the house by himself. I could never return a dog that I've had for several months. I would figure out a way.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
The apartment is not a problem. Goldens can live anywhere. The problem for you is that you say you have ten hour work days. You can't leave the dog that long everyday. It sounds like you need to find a good home for your pup.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Just my opinion but when someone purchases a puppy they are expected to make the committment to the dog for the dogs entire life. If the dog is yours then it is up to you to find a way to meet the needs of your dog.

Find an apartment that will accept pets.
Train the dog to live safely in your home/apartment.
Take the dog out to potty when needed and if at work for long hours hire someone to fill in for you.
Make the time for daily fun and exercise for the dog.
Make sure they have food and water.
Make sure the dog is up to date on all health care needs.

If the dog is yours it isn't up to your Mommy to take the dog in and care for it.

Being a responsible adult isn't easy and taking on another being is a serious decision.

Our dogs can live anywhere as long as we take care of them. If you are not willing to be responsible for taking on this loving being please contact your breeder so she/he can take back the dog, find a person willing to commit to the entire life of the dog or if she/he is not willing to help you contact a rescue.

·
Registered
524 Posts
There's nothing wrong with apartments for dogs. You don't have to take them out "all the time" - but enough for exercise and bathroom needs. Healthy adult dogs maybe don't eliminate as much as you think?

With 10 hour days you probably need a dog walker, friend, lunch break, etc... Some dogs can hold it that long but that's not necessarily good for their health.

I know a few young people who 'share' dogs with parents - the dog spends part of the week with one part of the family and part of the week with the other. Some dogs can't handle that and some dogs love it!

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
Just my opinion but when someone purchases a puppy they are expected to make the commitment to the dog for the dogs entire life. If the dog is yours then it is up to you to find a way to meet the needs of your dog.

Find an apartment that will accept pets.
Train the dog to live safely in your home/apartment.
Take the dog out to potty when needed and if at work for long hours hire someone to fill in for you.
Make the time for daily fun and exercise for the dog.
Make sure they have food and water.
Make sure the dog is up to date on all health care needs.

If the dog is yours it isn't up to your Mommy to take the dog in and care for it.

Being a responsible adult isn't easy and taking on another being is a serious decision.

Our dogs can live anywhere as long as we take care of them. If you are not willing to be responsible for taking on this loving being please contact your breeder so she/he can take back the dog, find a person willing to commit to the entire life of the dog or if she/he is not willing to help you contact a rescue.
Very well said and I agree 100% with you!!!

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
There's nothing wrong with apartments for dogs. You don't have to take them out "all the time" - but enough for exercise and bathroom needs. Healthy adult dogs maybe don't eliminate as much as you think?

With 10 hour days you probably need a dog walker, friend, lunch break, etc... Some dogs can hold it that long but that's not necessarily good for their health.

I know a few young people who 'share' dogs with parents - the dog spends part of the week with one part of the family and part of the week with the other. Some dogs can't handle that and some dogs love it!
Great points :)

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
I have a cousin who has two dogs. The dogs are always going between her house, her moms, and dad. If your mom really loves the dog maybe that is a solution.

·
Registered
505 Posts
You mention that your parents don't want to take your dog because they are hoping you won't move out? So, what happens if you do move out... will they have a change of heart and take the dog? I would be surprised if your Mom would be willing to let the dog go, given that she seems to take care of it all day. I would also imagine, if your parents don't want you moving out and you plan to any way, your Mom might like the distraction and company from your dog to help her adjust to your absence.

It sounds like your Mom has been the primary caregiver to the dog (since you state that she works from home and you're gone 10 hours per day). Based on that, it sounds like the best option for the dog is to stay with your parents at their house.

If your parents really won't keep the dog and you have to move out, keeping a dog in an apartment is completely feasible. It just requires more work on your part, but the work is very doable if you really love your dog.

I don't have a fenced in yard and I take my dog out on a leash every time he needs to use the bathroom. It's really not that big of a deal. He is trained on a bell and I probably take him out a total of 6 times per day (I'm home all day, so if he was crate trained and locked up, it would be less). Because my yard has no fence (not allowed in my area) it also requires that I exercise him regularly (perhaps a bit extra since he doesn't have daily off-leash time). I also have to make sure I find opportunities/places for him to play off leash. Given your long schedule, you'll need to either come home at lunch, find a dog walker (or friend/room mate) or drop your dog off at daycare. The fact that you'll be in an apartment shouldn't matter. I live in a home but we spend most of our time in two rooms that are probably smaller than most apartments. My dog loves being with us, so for most of the day he really only lives in my kitchen and office. If your dog is well exercised, the size of your living space doesn't really matter.

If you really want to make this work, you can. If you aren't willing to give your dog the life it deserves you should contact your breeder (and then a Golden rescue if your breeder won't take the dog). Good luck and keep us posted!

Sometimes the best decision isn't the easiest decision... do what's best for your dog's happiness, even if that requires making sacrifices or rehoming the dog.

·
Glynis
2,534 Posts
So many young people today seem to expect that their parents will take on the responsibility of their pets or their children when it is no longer convenient for them to look after them themselves. It is a pity that you did not think this through when you got your puppy. It should have been apparent to you that you would not be living at home forever. If I seem harsh it is because my own dog came to us as "free to a good home" once a young person could no longer take care of him and I feel for his pain.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It is definitely doable, but you will either need to be flexible and come home to give your pup breaks or pay extra to have someone do it for you while you work, or see if a friend or your parents can help. I live in an apartment and work 10+ hours/day as a Lawyer, but I try to give Cody as good of a quality of life as I can. I've hired a dog-walker who takes him out everyday for 2hours to play and walk with his dog friends in the afternoon. I take him out to play fetch in the morning before work and at night when I get home (I am 2 blocks from a dog park and we go everyday - I know everyone there) On weekends we go hiking for several hours in the woods, through trails or along the beach, or I just keep him with me as I walk around the city and go shopping and run errands (a lot of galleries and clothing stores allow dogs in Toronto). When I am away he has access to the living room/kitchen area and I always leave stuffed kong/deer antlers for him to chew - as well as a selection of his toys. I've been doing this consistently for 2.5 years since Cody was 8weeks old - as your pup is used to a different routine it will probably take a lot of adjusting to move from a house to an apartment setting so just be prepared and committed.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I really am sorry you are having to make these hard decisions, but....
Your girl is only 10 months, she is a puppy- a big puppy- but a high energy puppy who still needs a lot of daily guidance and exercise. I just do not think leaving her alone for 10 hours a day is a wise idea. Can you afford a mid-day dog walker? That would help, but it is still so much time for her to stare at the walls (or eat the walls as they sometimes do at that age!) Then, after your 10 hour day, what if you have a date or want to socialize with friends away from the apartment? I assume you want a social life, too, right? If your parents are not on board with shared ownership I think you should contact the breeder.
Too bad you could not have foreseen these lifestyle changes before you brought your pup into your life.
What is her name? I looked at your other posts and did not see her name mentioned.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
The problem is not the apartment. Dogs can live easily in apartments. My dogs have never had yards, and they have been fit and happy and healthy.

The question you need to ask yourself is whether you are ready and willing to maintain the commitment to your dog that she deserves. She has only ever known you and your family. Do you love her? I can't stand to be away from my dog for one night, so I can't imagine giving her up if I had to move.

I work 10 hour days, four days a week. I have a dog walker who comes to my home half way through my day and takes my dog for an hour in the park. I also do an hour in the morning with my dog. Both outings are a combo of walking, playing with other dogs, or playing ball. Outside of the big outings, she goes out first thing in the morning and last thing at night, and (if I'm around, on weekends or days off) maybe once more. Yes, you need to take her out on leash every time, but it's not a big deal. It is just part of life - providing you WANT to commit to her. You can't just decide to go for drinks after work and leave your dog alone for 12, 13 hours because you want to be with your friends. It IS a commitment for sure, but if you truly love this dog, it will never feel like a burden.

But you need to decide. And if you are not willing to commit to her, the best thing will be to get in touch with your breeder and find her a better home.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I had three border collies in an apartment. It's certainly doable to keep one golden.

However....the fact that you are even considering what to do with her when you move tells me that this poor girl needs someone who will make the commitment to keep her as she should. There was no question in my mind and there is no question now....my dogs are mine now and forever, from the moment I made the lifetime commitment to care for them. I would *NEVER* move without them.

As an adult, you will soon learn that love is not disposable.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree with all of you in this forum. A commitment is a commitment for life. This puppy needs a home that will care for it forever, with whoever and wherever she is. Many people are missing their GR right now or would take another with their current GR and she deserves that chance. Please contact your breeder and or a rescue group. Your mother may take her, but do not expect that.
I know that if I was in an apartment I would make that commitment to my GR and all the pets I currently have, two cats and fish. They come with me. Best of luck.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I'm in an apartment with a 13 week old Golden Retriever puppy. He is crated during the day, but we make sure that it's not for long periods. My BF goes to work several hours after I do, then I come home on a late lunch a few hours after that, and then I'm home a few hours after that.

If we didn't have that flexibility, then we'd be hiring a pet sitter to come to the apartment and walk him a couple times during the day. He also now can go to doggy daycare, and we plan to do that once a week - for his enrichment, because he loved it so much.

Having a golden in an apartment is VERY do-able - it all depends upon YOUR commitment to them.

·
Puppy Wrangler
47 Posts
Sherlock and I live in an apartment. It's no big deal. We go out for potty when I wake up, and I have a neighbor's nanny who comes in and walks him and takes him out twice a day (he can hold it for longer, but it's good for him to get some outside time and potty breaks during the day), and then we go out after dinner, and one or two more times depending on when we go to bed. We play in the yard in front of my apartment, go to the beach, and visit his buddy for doggie play time. He's happy as clam. Remember, Goldens love to be around their people and they are very adaptable based around what kind of person you are. Wanna cuddle on the couch? OKAY! Wanna run a 5k? OKAY! Go for a hike? OKAY! Chase a ball? OKAY! You'll be fine, but remember you've committed to your girl, and you have to be willing to honor that commitment.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts