Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Moving on from paper training?

845 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  tintallie 
#1 ·
Good Morning Everyone!

As we live in an apartment here is Buenos Aires and Marley just got his last vaccination yesterday (minus rabies) we have just been having Marley do his business on newspapers in the apartment, which he is very good at. However now it is time to move on to getting him to go outside and I wondered if anyone had any advice on how to make the transition from newspaper to outside any easier? Or if anyone has any advice on outside training when you live in an apartment, which means I have to get the elevator down nine floors and get past the doormen who always like to play with Marley without him peeing on their shoes!!

Many thanks,

Malissa

#2 ·
Do you leave the papers down all the time in your house (and he goes when he chooses) or do you place them down when you want him to go?

How old is your puppy?

Ive never tried to transition from a 'paper only pup' to a pup that will go outdoors....but if you can teach him to hold it until told to go (potty on command). Then transitioning to outdoors should be much easier...(just teaching him that he con go on pavement or grass versus only paper - by bringing pieces of paper outdoors for him to pee on...gradually making the pieces of paper smaller and smaller)

Before starting any method...taking some time to get the doorman on your side - explaing what you are trying to do and telling him that he can pat your pup on the way in after he relieves himself...

#4 ·
I've never transitioned a pup from paper training to outside as I've used crate training to teach my dog how to hold it and then usher him outside quickly to do his business. Since the smell of urine and feces can trigger a dog to go in the same spot, maybe you could take one of the pieces of paper with urine on it (dried) with you downstairs to the outside and teach your dog to go outside with the paper and gradually get the dog to just go on grass or another surface.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.