Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
18-month old Piper has something in her mouth all the time. Clean laundry, clothes, toys. The problem is when she first sees my husband or me come in a room, or a door, or actually often for no reason at all, she mouth grabs at us and we often feel her teeth. She does not aggressively bite, it's more an attention seeking behavior and since it's just the two of us and one other undemanding senior dog, she gets tons of attention. I have been working with her all along for a while now and have recently gotten really strict about this, making her sit and telling her no. Progress is really slow and its getting to the point where I have to put myself between Piper and my husband all the time. Any tips on breaking this bad habit once and for all.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Don't forget to balance negative reinforcement with lots of positive. Give treats (or whatever motivates your dog) for letting go and listening. I'm personally a fan of teaching a default sit. Everything else gets you nothing (unless I ask for it). Sitting has a possibility of getting you what you want. Of course, this can turn into begging if you're not careful, though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts